PDA

View Full Version : Calling for T200 expertise

dougscats
12-29-2010, 07:38 AM
I have about a dozen Fatima team cards and I believe all of them are authentic. I noticed the back of one of them, however, was upside down in comparison to the others. Is this legitimate?

I'll include a scan. All three cards, you'll note, are trimmed with the Fatima insignia cut out. I wonder if the insignia was considered a coupon, and the reason for being cut out.

Thanks.

Doug

Danny Smith
12-29-2010, 09:35 AM
I have an upside down Cleveland t200 in an sgc authentic holder (it is trimmed). Yours is the only one I've ever seen other than mine but i have no idea how rare they are if upside down. But they are legit.

My upside down t200 can be found here:

Www.imageevent.com/smithvintagecards/personalcollection

Danny

dougscats
12-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks, Danny, for answering that question.

Doug

fkw
12-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Ive seen them quite a few times with the cigaratte ad cut off, same with N172's. I think its because adults did this before giving cards to kids?

Your cards look authentic, I can see the glare on the top left card and it has that "real photo" glare-color (dont know whats its really called) thats found on many 1910-20s real photos when turned at an angle to light.

The authentic cards are "real photos" on thin photopaper and will often have crazing (small cracks). Most of the known reprints are "printed" and are on a normal modern card stock.

ethicsprof
12-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I have a detroit american with the rectangle cut out and remember checking Lew Lipset's volume some years back when first getting the card. It said that
the rectangle was cut out to remove the tobacco advertising which many folks were displeased with ,as Frank W indicates in the previous post.
From the scans, the cards look good to me.

all the best,
barry

dougscats
12-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks to both of you, Frank and Barry, for that information.

Doug

FrankWakefield
12-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Agree with above. If you have them in hand, illuminate them with a black light (my refrain). Some adults didn't want kids smoking, and would trim ads from tobacco cards before passing them on. T200s are THIN. Having held a real one will help distinguish a fake from a real one. Those look authentic, from what you've posted. But cutting out the ad would be a sly bit of trickery, now, wouldn't it?

12-30-2010, 02:13 PM
If the reason for trimming was to remove the cigarette ad, what about the back?