PDA

View Full Version : 1950/1951 Coppedge - Winston Salem (NC) Cardinals Team Issue Photos

bcbgcbrcb
12-25-2010, 12:45 PM
I just picked up the 1950 Earl Weaver from this set and was wondering if anyone else is familiar with this team issue and if anyone has scans of any other players that they can share?

paul
12-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Phil, I figured that was you. Congrats. When the card arrives, please let me know if Weaver's name really is printed and traced over, or if it's just handwritten. Thanks.

bcbgcbrcb
12-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Paul. I have the item already, his name was printed on the photo and then traced over in ink.

paul
12-27-2010, 08:21 PM
I knew the seller was good, but somehow I thought his preprinted name story was just wishful thinking on his part. I should have trusted him. Congrats on the pick up. I wish it was mine.

Bob Lemke
12-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Nice find on the Weaver. I have most of the rest of the set (20+ pictures, IIRC) and the album, but don't have Weaver.

Unfortunately, my set is in Wisconsin and I'm in Pennsylvania for the winter, or I could provide more information and scans.

bcbgcbrcb
12-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the input, Bob. If you ever come across your near-set and can provide some scans, that would be great. If you would prefer to e-mail them privately, my e-mail address is: vguerrerobb@yahoo.com

-Phil

bcbgcbrcb
12-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Bob:

How can we go about getting this issue in the Minor League section of the 2012 SCBC?

paul
12-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Geez, if Bob had put them in the 2011 Standard Catalog, I might have outbid Phil. I was concerned they were just studio photos, not a set issued with an album.

Bob Lemke
12-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I always intended to get them into the Standard Catalog's vintage minor league section, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I believe I bought them (from Chandy Greenholt) just before I left Krause in 2006, so they fell off my radar.

Bob Lemke
05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I finally dug out my "album" of Winston-Sales Cardinals photos. My mistake, it is a scrapbook, not an album.

The scrapbook contains team photos of the 1948-51 teams, and parts of three different studio photo sets, 1950-52.

I'd bet the Earl Weaver picture was taken out of this scrapbook before I bought the rest in 2005.

According to BaseballReference.com, there were 22 players (presumably those in 10+ games) on the roster of the 1950 Winston-Salem Cardinals.

The pictures I have are:
Hal Atkinson
Gene Barth
Hoyt Benedict
Bob Bills
George Condrick
J.C. Dunn
Neal Hertweck
Jack Huesman
George Kissel
Bill LaFrance
Vinegar Bend Mizell
Kenny Morgan
Jim Neufeldt
Lee Peterson
Ed Polak
Russel Rac
Bobby Tiefenauer
Dick Umberger

Besides the Weaver, that we know exists, the only other players from the roster that are missing from the scrapbook are Russell McGovern, Willie Osteen and John Romonosky.

UPDATE: I just noticed, looking at the 1950 team photo, that the 19 players we know exist in this set are the 18 players that are pictured in the team photo (probably taken at the start of the season) plus Hoyt Benedict, whose facsimile autograph appears on the back of the team photo, but is not in the picture. It seems likely that this set of player photos is complete at 19.

Here's a scan (actually two scans put together because of the page size) of one of the scrapbook pages.

I'll post data and photos on the 1951 and 1952 photos later.