PDA

View Full Version : Confirming a defect vs. dust in slabbed T206

Ericc22
12-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Greetings,

I bought a card on ebay that surprised me upon arrival. It was rated a PSA 4 and I made an assumption about what that meant. The card appears to have a blemish on the background. This blemish is present on the scan provided by the seller and I missed it. So, entirely my fault for purchasing a card that had a blemish that I don't like.

So please see http://tinyurl.com/27dsrus. You'll see the defect under Dunn's left armpit. Also note that above his right shoulder is another white cloud. There is more of this above his glove.

So 2 questions:
- is this consistent with a PSA 4 rating? I am assuming so, and I know from this forum that there is a lot of variability within a rating value.
- I think that the defect is on the card but is there a way to confirm that it is not dust - I assume I'd have to have PSA check that?

I am obviously new to this. Rookie mistake! I at least now know to scrutinize the scans before purchasing. Any help on the above questions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric

Leon
12-22-2010, 08:55 PM
If it is that little white spot that I see on the front, it is probably a small blemish, and is not bad enough, imo, to knock it down from a 4, given the way the rest of the card looks from the scan. I don't think it's a mistake or that you made a mistake. To me it looks like a mid-level 4.....Nice card. BTW, it is consistent with the grades I have seen. I have even seen worse blemishes for the grade. best regards

Ericc22
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Leon,

Thank you for the quick reply! Good to know - I appreciate the perspective. This card just stands out from my other 4s which seem less flawed. But good to know there is a range - those are obviously on the upper level of the 4s.

All info is most appreciated!

Eric

D. Bergin
12-22-2010, 09:44 PM
The scan is horrible to be honest, so I don't blame you for missing something there.

Ericc22
12-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks for that feedback. I was wondering what to expect from a scan. I'll make a point to ask for better ones going forward. Much appreciated.

Eric