PDA

View Full Version : A National question already.

timber63401
12-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I know its way to early but I need to get my days off from work so my question is what is the best 2 days to be there? Ive never been to one before and am looking to buy a few things and just soak in the atmosphere. Dont care about getting autos or anything like that. Thanks.

sb1
12-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Thursday & Friday strongly suggested. No need to get there Wednesday(unlike 10-20 years ago) and by Saturday most of the good stuff has changed hands, by Sunday many of the dealers will have left(despite it being taboo).

Hit the floor with a focus and skip over all the stuff that is not of your interest. AND write down booth numbers of items of interest. NOTE, if it is something you have been looking for some time and not a common item, do not pass it up! Stop and negotiate your best deal and pull the trigger. It is amazing how many people find their "holy grail" only to have to walk around and think about it, and then come back and it's gone. If you have been looking that long for something and then you finally find it, you should already have a pretty good idea of how tough it is and what it should bring, so don't muck it up by having to rethink it. Pull the trigger, you'll be far happier to have it, even if you paid a strong price, than to leave without it.

Rob D.
12-20-2010, 05:11 PM
I like being there on Wednesday, despite it being only a "half day." I think it's fun being part of the excitement of the show opening. Plus, I've found I don't really need two full days to cover the National, so the Wednesday-Thursday scenario works well for me. My best National purchases (not in terms of "deals" but rather in quality) have come on Wednesdays.

Regardless of which two days you pick, I'd say Thursday definitely should be one of them.

terjung
12-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Agreed that Thursday is highly recommended. Depending on what you collect, will help to determine whether Wednesday or Friday is more apropos. If you are into really rare, impossible to find stuff, then Wednesday. If T206s are more your thing, then Friday is fine.

What Scott said about not passing up on an opportunity is dead on target. If it is an impulse buy, you can probably think about it (and may be better off doing so), but if it is something you have been looking for, jump on it when you have the chance.

calvindog
12-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Weds to Friday late morning is more than enough time. By Friday morning the dealers have largely given up their dream of fleecing collectors and will grudgingly accept fair market value.

Rob D.
12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Weds to Friday late morning is more than enough time. By Friday morning the dealers have largely given up their dream of fleecing collectors and will grudgingly accept fair market value.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ChfIyHZqEd8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ChfIyHZqEd8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>