PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement: Goudey REPRINTS on the bay!

iggyman
12-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Since the bidding is getting a bit crazy on this lot, I thought it would be a good idea to put in my 2 1/2 cents.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170579310196

These cards are REPRINTS! Fairly obvious, but apparently a few people really want to believe.

Lovely Day...

Ladder7
12-16-2010, 03:54 PM
I like the guy that bid $999. No way he's gonna pay a G!

iggyman
12-16-2010, 06:48 PM
A bunch of snipers at the end pushed the hammer price to the ridiculous level :eek: $1,348.23 :confused:. This is one of those auctions where if you end-up with a losing snipe, you actually win. When PSA or SGC gets these, they got some explaining to do. Lucy!!!

Lovely Day...

FUBAR
12-16-2010, 11:24 PM
I love how each and every corner is worn exactly the same!

triwak
12-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Why in the hell were these reprints ever made?! It just begs for fraud and deceit. Pisses me off to no end!

Tony Gordon
12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
I'd appreciate more info on how to ID these cards as fakes. Thanks!

iggyman
12-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Tony, an easy way to spot a reprint Goudey is to look at the bottom red border, it should NOT match up perfectly at the ends with the rest of border. Sometimes this is hard to see on a scan but all the cards in the auction in question failed miserably. Other things to look for are picture cropping, white border, fuzzy/faded picture (like the Ruth in this auction), back side paper loss where the world reprint might appear, etc.etc.etc... Here are two examples of a real and fake 1933 Goudey Gehrig card (and what to look for):

The best way to tell the difference between a known Goudey reprint and a original is to handle a couple dozen real Goudey's. Feel them, caress them, admire them, smell them, and on a cold winters day snuggle-up to them. Once you do that, you will be able to spot the difference. Now run away young Jedi, and use this knowledge for the good of mankind.

Lovely Day...

glchen
12-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Are there similar ways (to the Gehrig) to determine if this Ruth is fake?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Collectible-1933-Goudey-Babe-Ruth-Baseball-Card-NR-/250743707553?pt=US_Baseball

dougscats
12-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the education, Iggyman.

Does Net54 have a forum for fakes currently being sold on ebay?
I'd love to ask questions about a card's authenticity from time to time,
and also learn how to detect fakes online.

I'm just beginning to learn the ropes on Net54. I hope, for instance, by this reply I'll be able to archive your lesson on Goudeys.

I'd like a similar lesson in Tobacco cards, particularly T-206's.
Any guidance/references would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Doug

fkw
12-17-2010, 01:51 PM
This auction has 2 different kinds of doctored reprint cards..The Ruth is one kind and all the others is a different kind.

The Ruth is one of the kind that originally had the words "reprint" or "Renata Galasso Reprint" between the words "GOUDEY GUM CO" and "BOSTON" (see erased spot). This type of reprint the back green is too light and too bright. The photo area has also been cropped like on most types of reprints.

The other kind of reprint are slightly better looking but if you look at the print on back it is too bold and many of the letters with small holes ie "a" "b" "d" "e" etc. will have the holes filled in. The front has the normal cropped edges of the photo area (ie the Lefty Grove, the parentheses of his name shouldnt touch the top border).

For collectors who have handled these authentic cards for many years it takes only a second to tell its a fake (I can often tell just by the small thumbnail pic), the colors are off (dark areas are too dark compared to light areas), the paper stock is off, the wear is off, etc.

If your new to these cards, its easy to Google images of authentic cards to compare.

Most common PreWar reprints....
E145-2 Cracker Jack
R319 Goudey (many different kinds)
T206 (many different kinds)
E90-1 (stars)
E95
T205
M101-4/5
R333 DeLong
T200
WG2, WG3, WG5 game cards
W560
W551
W512
D304
Geo Ruth Candy (cards and wrappers)
Fro-Joy Ruth
etc.

iggyman
12-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Here is a pic of the Ruth that Gary referenced. Obviously, the one on the right is a reprint. Colors are faded and you can see it has been cropped (look at Ruth's fingers). As with the other reprinted Goudey's the borders on the fake one are squared all the way around.

Lovely Day...

Tony Gordon
12-17-2010, 06:52 PM
At the Sun-Times show in November, a guy tried to sell me a '33 Goudey Hornsby. While the corners and edges had some wear, I felt the color was too vivid and took a pass. I appreciate the info! Thanks!!

glchen
12-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Iggy and Frank, thanks for the info. I normally do compare the raw in question with a
graded card, but I'm definitely not as good as seeing the details as others. I noticed
the bordering and centering, and look at the coloring too, but I definitely did not
see that Ruth's pinky was cropped in the picture. Thanks again!

dabigyankeeman
12-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Why in the hell were these reprints ever made?! It just begs for fraud and deceit. Pisses me off to no end!

I feel the same way, I hate these things. Any reprints made should have to have the word "reprint" on the back and some kind of logo on the front so that as soon as you looked at either side anybody would know its not a real card.

iggyman
12-18-2010, 03:32 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180600648961

"EBay"...............................the gift that keeps on giving. Why is it that "0" feedback users always seem to bid in $50 increments on estate sale reprints???

Note to self: if ever bidding on a fake estate sale Ruth (or two), always make sure to place bids in increments of $50. That will teach them!

Lovely Day...

ctownboy
12-18-2010, 06:33 PM
On 12/4, the seller (momojito007) bought a collection of 15 REPRINTS from Vinnysvintage for $79.99. Included in that sale were two 1933 Goudey Ruth's.

Momojito007 also bought a couple of reprint cards from miamis3kings. The significance of this is that a scumbag which was talked about in another thread ALSO bought reprint cards from miami3kings and tried to pass them off as originals.

I just checked miamis3kings Feed Back and it was kmoser111. That was the 12year-old kid out in Arizona who made up the story of finding a bunch of great cards and only spending $150 dollars to buy them. The local news station did a TV story about him....

tonyk1975
12-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the info as always very informative.

brob28
12-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Thank you all for the great posts. The detailed information on what to look for in fakes is priceless (or at least $100's in the case of some auctions). :D

sandmountainslim
12-19-2010, 08:18 AM
These Ruth's etc are dangerous to try and deal in!
As a new collector I am sticking to mid-grade commons for now until all the fraud blows over ;)
Wp

dabigyankeeman
12-19-2010, 09:16 AM
These Ruth's etc are dangerous to try and deal in!
As a new collector I am sticking to mid-grade commons for now until all the fraud blows over ;)
Wp

On Ruth, Gehrig, Joe D, The Mick, and other expensive Yankees, i try to buy all graded by one of the major companies for authenticity, then i remove most of them from their slab and put them in my albums.

dougscats
12-19-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm curious to know the best way to remove a slab.

Thanks for the info.

dabigyankeeman
12-19-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm curious to know the best way to remove a slab.

Thanks for the info.

What i do is take a large sharp cutter and cut a corner off the slab, then stick in a thin screwdriver and carefully work my way around the slab until it can be popped open. While there certainly is a chance of damaging a card doing this, so far i have opened a bunch without damage yet.

sandmountainslim
12-19-2010, 09:34 AM
What i do is take a large sharp cutter and cut a corner off the slab, then stick in a thin screwdriver and carefully work my way around the slab until it can be popped open. While there certainly is a chance of damaging a card doing this, so far i have opened a bunch without damage yet.

It is worth the risk.
Nothing more noble in the hobby than releasing a card from the dreaded suspended slab prison. Keep up the good work!
Wp

t206blogcom
10-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Feel them, caress them, admire them, smell them, and on a cold winters day snuggle-up to them. Once you do that, you will be able to spot the difference.

You can use this method to determine if a pair of other things are real or fake as well. With experience, you'll be able to spot the difference a mile away. ;)

Leon
10-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the education, Iggyman.

Does Net54 have a forum for fakes currently being sold on ebay?
I'd love to ask questions about a card's authenticity from time to time,
and also learn how to detect fakes online.

I'm just beginning to learn the ropes on Net54. I hope, for instance, by this reply I'll be able to archive your lesson on Goudeys.

I'd like a similar lesson in Tobacco cards, particularly T-206's.
Any guidance/references would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Doug

Doug- After 3 yrs on the board you are just learning the ropes? :). No worries though...after 16 yrs in the hobby, in an addicted fashion, I am still learning and feel like a novice many times. As to your question, the best place to ask questions about fakes and/or reprints, on ebay and otherwise, is this main board. More people view it, and you will get more responses, than anywhere else. We won't have separate sections for this kind of stuff but we do have a "Detecting Card Alterations and Reprints" section. It has been on the board for years and has tons of informative information in it. It is under the 2nd from the right icon, at the top row of icons on each page. best regards

10-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Just a heads up that this is an old thread.

Leon
10-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Just a heads up that this is an old thread.

Oh Crap!! My apologies to Doug. It is an old thread. Fooled again. But maybe someone new will see the post and there can be some lemonade. :)

dougscats
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Hey, Leon--
Just got around to reading this--
Ha-ha! Same thing has happened to me on an old thread before.
In fact, I started reading this thread and was surprised to see my own post--didn't realize it was old till then--
It was a good review on fake Goudeys in any event,
and the first time I'd heard sarcasm from you directed at me [you're usually so patient and gentle with newbies and dinosaurs],
and then a personal apology to boot! Love it.

Thanks, Net54.

Doug