PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Pirates v. Yanks Game 7 MLB Network 8pm

mintacular
12-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Just a friendly reminder that this game is being shown on TV tonight...Enjoy

Brian Van Horn
12-15-2010, 11:12 AM
The game is quite enjoyable. I went to the wall on October 13, the Byham Theater on November 13 and the premier at the Loew's Waterfront on December 13. Unfortunately, I will not see the cable premier tonight because I will be at the Consol Energy Center for a Penguins game.

mr2686
12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Call it a hunch, but I'm betting on the Pirates :D

tedzan
12-15-2010, 12:37 PM
towards Yankee pitcher Jim Coates.

Coates replaced Shantz in the bottom of the 8th inning and was one out away from ending the inning. Then, a lapse by Coates allowed
the Pirates to keep their inning alive. After stopping Roberto Clemente's ground ball, 1st baseman Skowron turned and prepared to throw
to Coates covering 1st base, but Coates, wasn't there since he stopped midway to 1st base. Skowron was forced to hold onto the ball,
and Virdon scored to cut the Yankee lead to 7–6. Hal Smith followed with a 3-run home run to give the Pirates a 9–7 lead. Ralph Terry
relieved Coates and got the last out.

I read that Berra has never forgiven Coates for not being at 1st base for that crucial play. Yogi blames Coates for the 1960 W.S. loss. Not
Mazeroski....who Berra (in Left Field) in the 9th inning watched Maz's HR sail over him into the stands.

Check it out when you watch this 7th game.

TED Z

mr2686
12-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Wow...never heard that about Yogi. What I have heard was that most players, including Mantle and Ford, blamed Stengel for not pitching Ford 3 times in the series. That decision, and the loss of course, were the final straw that spelled the end for Stengel.

spoof_34g
12-15-2010, 06:17 PM
An interesting bit of trivia about this game no one struck out on either team.

Robextend
12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Rocky Nelson just hit a 2 run bomb....

John V
12-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Rocky had a strange batting stance.

slidekellyslide
12-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I am excited for the chance to get to see Bobby Shantz pitch. Too bad Dick Stuart didn't play in this game.

slidekellyslide
12-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Coates replaced Shantz in the bottom of the 8th inning and was one out away from ending the inning. Then, a lapse by Coates allowed
the Pirates to keep their inning alive. After stopping Roberto Clemente's ground ball, 1st baseman Skowron turned and prepared to throw
to Coates covering 1st base, but Coates, wasn't there since he stopped midway to 1st base. Skowron was forced to hold onto the ball,
and Virdon scored to cut the Yankee lead to 7–6. Hal Smith followed with a 3-run home run to give the Pirates a 9–7 lead. Ralph Terry

I read that Berra has never forgiven Coates for not being at 1st base for that crucial play. Yogi blames Coates for the 1960 W.S. loss. Not
Mazeroski....who Berra (in Left Field) in the 9th inning watched Maz's HR sail over him into the stands.

TED Z

Looked to me like there was no way Coates could have gotten Clemente out..he also didn't appear to have stopped midway between the mound and first. Coates is getting a raw deal.

Robextend
12-15-2010, 08:43 PM
How did Mantle get back to 1B?!?!?!? Wow, that should have been a game ending DP.

Edited to add: I agree that Mantle should have got in a rundown...we got lucky there!

Cy2009
12-15-2010, 09:23 PM

TED Z

Ted,

I don't think Coates beats Clemente to the bag even if he did go straight to it. Clemente was there before Skowron could even toss it.

Cy

slidekellyslide
12-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Ted,

I don't think Coates beats Clemente to the bag even if he did go straight to it. Clemente was there before Skowron could even toss it.

Cy

Exactly...I had never heard about this until Ted's post so I don't know how prevalent the feeling is that Coates should have gotten him (I see that part of Ted's post is straight from wikipedia), and I wonder if now that everyone has actually seen the play that history will make a correction, and Yogi will make an apology.

GoldenAge50s
12-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Coates was going for the ball & veered off to 1st base--no way was he going to get there in time even if he takes a straight line--Clemente beats the play!

Blame the terrible Forbes infield for the loss, not Coates.

Bobby Schantz was great in relief, but why did he bat in the 8th w/ runners on 2nd & 3rd? A pinch hit there breaks the game wide open & Smith's homer means little---the comeback most likely never happens ! He had already gone 5 plus innings of 1 or 2 hit shutout ball!

Kawika
12-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I was able to catch the last three innings this afternoon. What a pleasure it was to watch a ballgame just like I used to a half-century ago, glorious black-and-white, Mel Allen at the mike, Moose Skowron and Harvey Haddix in the glory of their times, no thundersticks or exploding scoreboards just the murmur of the crowd, no Tim McCarver. (I have a feeling that your average sportsfan of today without the old time connection would be bored silly by this broadcast). Only thing missing was the Ballantine Beer ads. Boy, how did we ever live without instant replay in those prehistoric times! What was particularly delightful was Bob Costas' panel of old players and their comments. I know that the game is available on DVD but do any of you out in Net54 Land know if the show as broadcasted today with the between-the-innings conversations with Dick Groat, Bobby Richardson etc plus the great locker room interviews (gotta love Gino Cimoli) would be included on the DVD? A heavenward tip of the cap to Bing Crosby for making it all possible.

tedzan
12-16-2010, 03:01 AM
Regarding your......
" Exactly...I had never heard about this until Ted's post so I don't know how prevalent the feeling is that Coates should have gotten him
(I see that part of Ted's post is straight from wikipedia), and I wonder if now that everyone has actually seen the play that history will
make a correction, and Yogi will make an apology. "

I first heard this story from Clete Boyer, who was there on the field playing 3rd base (and in the 8th inning SS) in that 7th game.

Clete was at my table at the Ft. Washington show back in the late 1990's sorting thru my Bowman BB cards. I first didn't realize who he was,
but he was very friendly and we were talking Baseball for about 40 minutes. The subject of Yankees World Series games came up and that is
when he told me this (and I'm paraphrasing it)...."at Yankees gatherings, as friendly as Yogi is, he will not speak with Jim Coates. Yogi holds a
grudge towards Coates, since he blames Coates for the loss of that 7th game by not covering 1st base to get the throw from Bill Skowron. "

During our conversation, Clete gave me his address in order to send him more Bowman cards, and that is when I first realized who he was. Clete
was an autograph guest at the Philly show that day.

Furthermore, when I recently visited Yogi Berra's Museum (in Montclair, NJ), I repeated this story to the two gentlemen working at the museum
and they confirmed Yogi's feelings toward Coates.

Look, Yogi was in Left Field that day....did he get a good view of Coates' lapse in getting to 1st base ?
I certainly don't know. However, Boyer was close by in the infield at SS when this occurred. He, too, faults Coates for hesitating to get to 1st
base in time.

Hey guys, I trust Clete's take on this scenario.....he had a bird's-eye view of this event.

TED Z

barrysloate
12-16-2010, 04:45 AM
I also feel it was an absolute joy to watch that game last night. It is amazing that a game of such magnitude, with 19 runs scoring and all manner of turning points, was played in 2 hours and 36 minutes. A game like that today would be passing the four hour mark and no matter how exciting would feel interminable. Everything about that broadcast was good, from the crisp play, the spare broadcasting, the absence of endless messages across the screen, even the lack of instant replay. Today a guy hits a grounder to shortstop and we have to watch it again from six different angles.

When I was a kid growing up all the other kids always talked about the ground ball that hit Tony Kubek in the throat, and I had never seen it. Last night was the first time, and it was a really wicked hop. And I always wondered about Mantle's dive back to first, and it sure was a split second play. It was just a game for the ages.

Did anyone notice that when Bob Prince interviewed nearly every player after the game, he never asked Roberto Clemente to come forward? I'm sure they were afraid to have an hispanic player who spoke broken English come to the microphone. It was a sign of the times.

And I too noticed around the sixth inning or so that nobody seemed to have struck out. Sure enough, the game went nine innings without even one strikeout. Simply an mazing game of baseball.

mr2686
12-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Regarding Coates, after seeing the game last night I'd have to agree that he's getting a raw deal. He had to veer off to get to 1st after it was obvious he couldn't get to the ball and Moose could. I think this is one of those things where the players remember it one way, and since the film was lost for 50 years, they haven't seen any replays and it's just become a fact now.
Even Bobby Richardson seemed to soften after seeing the film.
Yogi still swears that Jackie Robinson was out when stealing home in the WS, but new replays from different angles support the safe call, so I doubt anyone can convince him otherwise about Coates.
Both Coates and Yogi will be at the 61 reunion in January....wonder if they'll talk to each other?
Anyway, I thought the whole presentation of the Game last night and the discussions between innings was really good, and I really enjoyed it.

tedzan
12-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Regarding your......
" Exactly...I had never heard about this until Ted's post so I don't know how prevalent the feeling is that Coates should have gotten him
(I see that part of Ted's post is straight from wikipedia), and I wonder if now that everyone has actually seen the play that history will
make a correction, and Yogi will make an apology. "

I first heard this story from Clete Boyer, who was there on the field playing 3rd base (and in the 8th inning SS) in that 7th game.

Clete was at my table at the Ft. Washington show back in the late 1990's sorting thru my Bowman BB cards. I first didn't realize who he was,
but he was very friendly and we were talking Baseball for about 40 minutes. The subject of Yankees World Series games came up and that is
when he told me this (and I'm paraphrasing it)...."at Yankees gatherings, as friendly as Yogi is, he will not speak with Jim Coates. Yogi holds a
grudge towards Coates, since he blames Coates for the loss of that 7th game by not covering 1st base to get the throw from Bill Skowron. "

During our conversation, Clete gave me his address in order to send him more Bowman cards, and that is when I first realized who he was. Clete
was an autograph guest at the Philly show that day.

Furthermore, when I recently visited Yogi Berra's Museum (in Montclair, NJ), I repeated this story to the two gentlemen working at the museum
and they confirmed Yogi's feelings toward Coates.

Look, Yogi was in Left Field that day....did he get a good view of Coates' lapse in getting to 1st base ?
I certainly don't know. However, Boyer was close by in the infield at SS when this occurred. He, too, faults Coates for hesitating to get to 1st
base in time.

Hey guys, I trust Clete's take on this scenario.....he had a bird's-eye view of this event.

TED Z

Yogi usually agreed with Casey Stengel, but this was one of the times when Yogi was critical of Casey. First, he thought Casey should have started Whitey
Ford in game 7.
Secondly, given the situation in the 8th inning, Yogi questioned Casey's decision to replace Bobby Shantz with Jim Coates. Yogi thought a better choice of
relievers would have been Louis Arroyo, or even Ryan Duren.

Many years later at an Old Timer's event (1972), Casey admitted to Ryan Duren...."You know the biggest mistake I made in the 1960 World Series ?
I should have brought you in, in the 8th inning"......instead of Jim Coates.

Mike (mr2686)

I think, given some of the above posted feelings, Yogi was just upset with Casey's decision in that situation, and found blame with Coates. My understanding
is that Yogi took this loss very hard.

Yes, it will be very interesting to see if Yogi and Coates will talk to each other at the 1961 reunion in January ?

TED Z

barrysloate
12-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Bob Costas asked Bobby Richardson why Casey didn't start Ford three times, or why he didn't bring Ford into the 7th game in relief, and you could see that it rankles Richardson to this day. It sounds like the players lost faith in the 70 year old Stengel's ability to manage the team smartly.

And Richardson also mentioned that Coates first went after the ball, then when he saw he couldn't reach it, sprinted to first. It certainly looked like he was hustling, but Clemente simply beat him to the bag.

nolemmings
12-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Coates did get a raw deal. He comes in with two on and no out, retires the first two without incident, then gives up what was not much more than a swinging bunt to one of the NL's best hitters. And yes, he was hustling all the way on that play but just couldn't get to the bag in time, assuming Skowron would have fed him perfectly anyway. Then it looks like he had Smith struck out, but the ump ruled that he checked his swing. That would have been worth a replay and discussion with Costas, and I wonder how that would have been called these days. Smith, by the way, seemed to just luck into one--he looked awful that whole at bat until that pitch.

A few observations.

It was a mistake to not start Whitey in the opener, no doubt. I wonder how much he would have left in game 7 though, having just twirled 9 innings the day before. Again, one lucky swing by Smith was the difference--could have come off of anybody, IMO. Putting in the wild Ryne Duren there and face a potential wild pitch would not have been wise, even though he threw hard the bats were finding the ball that day--no Ks.

As mentioned, Shantz had no business batting with two in scoring position in the top of the eighth. A pinch hit from Elston Howard or Long there could (maybe would) have broken the Bucs.

I really wonder why Casey came out to talk to Coates after the first pitch foul to Clemente. He was very animated, but what was his point? BTW, in today's game don't you think they would walk Clemente to set up a force at any base and pitch to the back-up catcher?

On Mantle's single in the 9th, Clemente booted the ball. Dale Long reached third and of course his pinch runner then scored the tying run on that infield smash to Nelson. He doesn't score if he was not on third. No error for Clemente, and Mel's play by play seems to suggest that Long was rounding second on his way to third, but a) I'm not sure he tries it if the ball is not booted--we can't see Long running and the situation didn't necessarily call for him trying to take that base; and b) a clean fielding play and throw by one of the stronger arms in the NL would have nailed the slow-footed Long, IMO. I guess all's well that end's well if you're a Pirates fan, but I wonder if that play would have been more widely discussed had the Bombers gone on to win.

barrysloate
12-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Todd- I agree with you that Hal Smith looked awful on that at bat, and I remember wondering after he took a wild swing how he could have possibly homered. It was ironic of course that he hit what was assumed would be one of the most famous home runs of all time, yet it was nearly forgotten some fifteen minutes or so later.

tedzan
12-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Berra said as much, regarding Stengel......that he must be losing that brilliant managing touch that got the Yankees 9
A.L. Championships (including 7 World Championships) prior to 1960.

Perhaps, Yogi wished he was behind the plate for that 7th game (he caught 3 of the games, while Ellie Howard caught
4 of them), for he would persuaded Casey to bring in Arroyo, or Duren, or even Ford.

In two prior 7-game World Series, Stengel had Allie Reynolds (1952) and Bob Turley (1958) pitch in 3 games.

TED Z

barrysloate
12-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Ted- Stengel was considered old at 70, and that partly or mostly explains why he was fired.

One of my favorite Stengel stories, relating to his dotage, was that during his tenure as Mets manager he was known to call on Blanchard to pinch hit. He then had to be reminded by one of his coaches that Blanchard didn't play for the Mets. :)

Robextend
12-16-2010, 10:01 AM
It seems that Blanchard caught Game 7 because Howard was hurt.

Mark
12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Did anyone notice that when Bob Prince interviewed nearly every player after the game, he never asked Roberto Clemente to come forward? I'm sure they were afraid to have an hispanic player who spoke broken English come to the microphone. It was a sign of the times. .

Of course, I don't know exactly what went into the selection process for tv interviews in the clubhouse that afternoon. But I'd like to say that it's not clear to me that Bob Prince was guilty of any racism or bias in his role as an interviewer that day. I was an infant in 1960 and can't speak to how Prince related to Clemente that year. But I listened to Prince broadcast just about every game from the mid-sixties to the mid-seventies, and he was a very great admirer of Clemente, and I know for a fact that Clemente felt very warmly toward Prince. Maybe the people at NBC who produced the post-game interviews decided who got to jump up on the table with Prince to talk "coast to coast." Maybe they didn't want to hear Roberto speak with his accent. But except for the one time that Prince reached down and pulled Hal Smith up to the table to talk with him, Bob Prince just stood there and spoke with whomever happened to hop up and say hi. Besides, I think there were a few other principals who didn't get an interview: Stuart, maybe Friend and Nelson and surely Mizell. And what about Murtaugh?

barrysloate
12-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Fair point Mark, and it's possible that Clemente never got close enough to Prince in the clubhouse to be called up. He was private and maybe didn't feel comfortable stepping up to the microphone. Whatever the reason, he was unquestionably one of the team's true stars, and it seemed like a glaring omission.

slidekellyslide
12-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Ted, I hope you get a chance to see the play for yourself...Yogi and Boyer are just plain wrong. Coates broke to first base almost instantaneously...he veers only slightly to avoid colliding with Skowron who was directly in his path...either way there is no way they were going to get Clemente anyway..Clemente was almost to the bag by the time Skowron picked up the ball.

I did a little research on this this morning and I can see in Yogi's latest book "You can learn a lot by observing.." he just flat out states that Coates didn't cover first...then inexplicably he goes on to say that he never blamed any single person for a loss. Yogi owes Coates an apology and I would hope that at least the NY Press would examine this issue. You reading this O'Keeffe? :D

Cy2009
12-16-2010, 12:03 PM
The game is on again today (Thursday) at 3:00 PM eastern time.

Cy

GoldenAge50s
12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
I tried to watch for all the little things:

3 times on balls hit to right field Roberto fumbled it!

Foul balls were rolled back to the dugout, not tossed into the stands.

Batters stayed in or just stepped slightly out of the batters box once they came to the plate.

Managers went to the mound, not pitching coaches.

Hal Smith struck out!---He went MORE than half way around on that checked swing on the high pitch, and looked completely fooled at the plate on every pitch.

Mickey Mantle made the hairs on my neck stand up every time they even showed him--on deck, in center, or at the plate! He even looked fairly healthy as the limping was minimal---and---The guy could HIT!

tedzan
12-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Not only have I seen this game (via an old VHS tape), but in the Fall of 1960, I heard the entire game in real-time on my radio.

Please do not misunderstand me, I'm not blaming Jim Coates. I simply have relayed to all of you a first hand opinion told to me
from a ballplayer, Clete Boyer, who witnessed this event from a very close vantage point. Clete's story tells of Yogi's continuing
grudge towards Coates. Apparently, Yogi harbored this grudge for at least 18 years (I had a 40 minute conversation with Clete
at the Ft. Washington show..circa 1999). If I recall correctly, Clete faulted Coates action (or lack of it) just the same as Yogi.

As, I have already stated, these guys also questioned Stengel's choice of Coates in relief of Shantz. Furthermore, they faulted
Casey Stengel for not starting Ford....or, not bringing in Ryan Duren, etc., etc.. The blame game goes on and on. All of these
Yankees were devasted; and, it's human nature to play the blame game.

Clete, however, did not hold a grudge. He was a very friendly and talkative guy. After his signing session was over, he returned
to my table and we continued Talkin' Baseball for another 1/2 an hour while he sorted thru more of my Bowman cards.

TED Z

slidekellyslide
12-16-2010, 01:14 PM
I didn't realize that any film of this game (other than Maz's homer) was out there before it was found in Bing's house. I still think Clete and Yogi are wrong...even Costas mentioned it.

All that aside it really was interesting to watch the game...clearly one of the best WS games ever played...and it was a thrill to see Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, and Roberto Clemente play...and for me to see Bobby Shantz pitch was special....he's been a favorite player of mine for a very long time, but I had never even seen film of him pitching.

mr2686
12-16-2010, 01:16 PM
I just think there were so many little things that could have happened to change the outcome of the game....If the bad hop doesn't hit Kubek in the throat, If Mantle get's tagged going back to first, if Long get's thrown out going to 3rd and Clemente doesn't bobble the ball (and what the heck was Long doing out on the bases anyway? He was a pinch hitter that wasn't going in for defense. Why wait till he gets to 3rd to pinch run McDougald), if Smith is called out on strikes, if Stengel starts Ford or brings him in for relief...it goes on and on. But I guess that's what makes baseball so much fun and why we are debating a game that took place 50 years ago...and why I collect the 1960 Pirates autographs.

insidethewrapper
12-16-2010, 02:24 PM
I thought DeMaestri replaced Kubek at SS. Did Boyer go to SS ?

Kawika
12-16-2010, 02:39 PM
...and for me to see Bobby Shantz pitch was special....he's been a favorite player of mine for a very long time, but I had never even seen film of him pitching.

Musings (or ranting-and-ravings, if you prefer) of an old fan:
Because I was a clueless kid back in those long-ago days who didn't know you could find out who was going to be pitching simply by reading the newspaper on gameday I wouldn't know who'd be taking the mound until I got to Yankee Stadium. Always hoped it would be Whitey Ford. Saw all the Yankee pitchers at one time or another but it still seems like Schantz or Bob Turley pitched most every game I went to. It cracked me up to hear Mel Allen refer to him a couple of times as Little Bobby Schantz. Hadn't thought about that in 50 years but that's what he was known by, never just Bobby Schantz, always Little Bobby Schantz. The wife and I started goofing with it while we were watching the game, intoning in our best Mel Allen twang Little Bobby Turley (who was as big as a truck), Little Bobby Richardson, Little Bobby Clemente, Little Bobby Skinner. And after that annoying color crawling scroll at the bottom of the b&w screen "updated" us for the hundredth time, Little Bobby Feller. Might have had to be there, I guess.

insidethewrapper
12-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I just checked Boyer was at 3b in the 8th inning and SS in the 9th. So he wasn't playing SS when Coates was on the mound.

uffda51
12-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I had forgotten that Elston Howard was injured and out of the lineup. I also hadn't remembered that Clemente batted fifth, behind Skinner and Rocky Nelson. Nelson hit .300 that year but had only 200 AB, with 7 HR. Skinner batted .273 w/ 15 HR. Dick Stuart hit .260 with 23 HR. Clemente batted .314 w/ 16 HR. I would have batted Clemente third - but I was only nine years old then, so what did I know?

It was great to watch this game, which made baseball feel more like a pastime and less like a video game than today's broadcasts.

tedzan
12-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Mike (mr2686) mentioned...." Both Coates and Yogi will be at the 61 reunion in January....wonder if they'll talk to each other? "
It will be interesting to find out if Yogi and Coates are talking to each again. Where is this 1962 Reunion occurring ?

Dan B.

I saw Bobby Shantz pitch for the A's and the Yankees. He was a spunky sidearming southpaw who gave the Yankees a tough
time back in the early 1950's. Also, he was one of the best fielding pitchers in his era. And, a great guy at BB cards shows.

One smart thing Stengel did early in that 7th game was bring in Shantz. Shantz gave the Yankees 5 good innings of relief.

TED Z

mr2686
12-16-2010, 03:21 PM
DeMaestri came in for Kubek and was then pinch hit for by Long. Long was pinch run for by McDougald who then went to 3B as Boyer moved to SS.

As for the 61 reunion, MAB-Celebrity is having a multi yankee reunion show in Jan in NJ...61, 81 and 86 teams. Looks like 11 from 61 have confirmed...including Coates.
I mentioned before that Richardson (no relation) seemed to soften a bit on Coates when he saw the film. I recorded the show and FF to that part and before he watched it he was clinching his fists and saying Coates didn't cover first and you'd think that was practiced enough in spring training...afterwards he almost looked shocked when he saw the tape. Kinda like "you mean the world isn't flat" kinda shocked! :D I think they just said it enough times that it became fact.

tedzan
12-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I might just attend that gathering. I'm glad it's in Jersey, otherwise Yogi might not attend if it required extensive traveling.

As I've noted in a prior post here, in their devastated state, some of the Yankees were looking for a "scapegoat" to blame.
And, I guess Jim Coates was the one.

TED Z

Cy2009
12-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I just watched the Clemente play again. They showed it twice in a row during the discussion. There is no way that they get Clemente. If Coates was standing on 1st base when the ball was hit, Skowron would not be able to get the ball to first in time to get him out. The ball was weakly hit and Clemente was there just as Skowron got the ball. Blaming Coates is a disgrace.

You man up as a team. You win as a team and you lose gracefully as a team and you do not blame one man for one play that loses a 7-game series.

Cy

mr2686
12-16-2010, 03:41 PM
What I really find amazing, is that of the WS's that the Yankees lost, starting in 1955, they took 4 out of the 5 series to 7 games (55,57,60,64) with only 63 being a 4-0 blow-out. That means with a few breaks here and there and their record of championships would look even more impressive than it already does. I wonder who the scape goats were for those years!

Bigb13
12-16-2010, 03:47 PM
It Sucks for me I live in Long Island New York have Cablevision so we get no stations. That's not what my bill states. Can I view it online somewhere? Rob

mr2686
12-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I believe you can get a subscription to the mlb channel for your computer from mlb.com....but not positive. Worth a look though.

Robextend
12-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Bobby Shantz is one of the nicest guys I ever met, it was a real pleasure.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4156/bobbyshantz.jpg (http://img824.imageshack.us/i/bobbyshantz.jpg/)

Bigb13
12-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks will check that out. I was able to find a 10 min highlights clip on youtube pretty cool. Rob http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8lqTnrpBc

mr2686
12-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Poor Bobby Shantz...he's on the 60 Yankees and then goes to the 61 Pirates. If only he could have switched that around. Reminds me of Ralph Branca playing for all the Dodger teams that finish 2nd to the Yankees and then isn't there in 55 when they win.

ls7plus
12-16-2010, 05:00 PM
I know I'm a little late chiming in with this one, but I thought it was such a thrill to see Mantle, Berra, Maris and Clemente (didn't remember that Clemente literally seemed to step in the bucket, but still kept his head and hands back--what a hitter!) in action again (I used to like the Yankees when I was a kid, in the pre-Steinbrenner era, and was a huge Mantle and Maris fan). Nice to see Mickey get three hits and two ribbies, even in the loss. Seems the Pirates were a team of destiny, based on Virdon's comments in the course of the telecast, and the manner in which the tide turned in Pittsburgh's favor in this one!
Was also really impressed to hear that Mantle had hit one out earlier in the series over the 436-foot marker to the opposite field!!! 450-460 feet to the opposite field??? My God, what a monster he was!!!

GoldenAge50s
12-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Clemente at bat reminded me of Vlad Guerrero.