PDA

View Full Version : **Newsflash** PSA SUCKS!

Kawika
12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
PSA: What the HELL is this?
(Answer: A thousand dollar turd)
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/large/McMullin.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/websize/McMullin%20ptn1.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/websize/McMullin%20ptn2.jpg

triwak
12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Holy crap!

DixieBaseball
12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Geez David... I am sorry to see this... So much for PSA Quality Control... Seriously, I can envision it was centered in the holder when it left, but obviously was loose due to improper fit, and boom - Shipping took care of the rest. Probably was not even mishandled. Just simply the wrong holder. (Obviously)

That sucks.

sox1903wschamp
12-14-2010, 08:13 PM
What a crock. And not to pile on but we also see plenty of cards loose in holders that bug the heck out of me.

Gradedcardman
12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Looking forward to seeing what PSA does for you.

Fred
12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Oh my goodness, can it really be a PSA sucks thread... it's been too long.

David, that's just aweful. I'd be really pissed off. They may offer you 10 free submissions for that mistake. Do you have any Conlon photos that you'd like to have encapsulated?

Leon
12-14-2010, 08:58 PM
That does suck David. That picture will never quite be the same. Sorry you are going to have to go through some hassles. What a shame on both fronts.

teetwoohsix
12-14-2010, 09:02 PM
WTF?! That's B/S..........I think PSA needs to reimburse you what you paid for that photo. What a shame- hope it works out for you David.

Sincerely, Clayton

Kawika
12-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Won the photo in the recent Goodwin auction. NW and SE corners were already a tad bumped in Goodwin's scan. I don't hold him to blame. The holder is entirely inappropriate for its purpose - the photo will swim all over until it wedges itself in the sides **BRR-RING ... BRR-ING** Holy Smokes! It's Bill Goodwin on the line in mid-sentence. Bill is very apologetic, offers a refund or whatever I would like. I'd like to keep McMullin - it was to be the anti-Zeenut in my seat-of-the-pants Black Sox collection (I'll bust it out into a toploader) - so Bill offers a very generous rebate. McDonald is taken care of and no longer fouling the air with blue verbiage and, what's more, Bill promises to advise Joe Orlando that his photo holders need to go back to the drawing board (on account of they suck) and so the Hobby might become a slightly better place as a result. I just love a happy ending.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/12919a_lg.jpg

Kawika
12-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Oh my goodness, can it really be a PSA sucks thread... it's been too long.

David, that's just aweful. I'd be really pissed off. They may offer you 10 free submissions for that mistake. Do you have any Conlon photos that you'd like to have encapsulated?
No, Fred. No Conlon photos. But I do have one by Benjamin Falk that I'd like to shove up Bill Mastro's ass.

3-2-count
12-14-2010, 10:09 PM
David that's just horrible. A design change on PSA's part so the picture has no play inside the sleeve is very necessary after seeing this. Sad, a beauty like this can survive 100+ years in a harsh environment only to be screwed up in a matter of minutes due to something as silly as poor planning. Simply uncalled for.

chaddurbin
12-15-2010, 12:09 AM
that's kind of disturbing. good job by bill. i was going to suggest getting a refund from the seller and let him deal with psa but bill's already taken care of the matter.

Rickyy
12-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Hmmm..its hard to believe after all this time...you would think a light bulb will go off in the heads of the design team... typing this as I stare at a E90-1 floating sideways in my older PSA holder...:rolleyes:

John V
12-15-2010, 05:00 AM
Remember this thread for the next time we see the question "Should I use PSA or SGC for grading?" Time for PSA to execute their damage control-business continuity plan.

benchod
12-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Remember this thread for the next time we see the question "Should I use PSA or SGC for grading?" Time for PSA to execute their damage control-business continuity plan.

WRONG
I may choose SGC for other reasons but I had an oversized 4 figure card delivered to me that had moved inside an SGC holder and caused corner damage
Craig

Exhibitman
12-15-2010, 06:21 AM
You need to start a web site psasucks.com where everyone can post their crappy work product.

Jim VB
12-15-2010, 06:44 AM
WRONG
I may choose SGC for other reasons but I had an oversized 4 figure card delivered to me that had moved inside an SGC holder and caused corner damage
Craig

I like SGC better than PSA, but Craig is 100% correct. This can happen to any grading company. I put more of the blame on the packing/shipping methods. I recently picked up a few common T3s and they were tossed, loosely, in a box with a few other things. After rattling around for a few days, this was the result:

bbcard1
12-15-2010, 06:58 AM
You need to start a web site psasucks.com where everyone can post their crappy work product.

A facebook page is easier...

docpatlv
12-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Jim VB,

That sucks with your T3's. I like SGC but one thing I noticed is the gaskets they use are thin. Why don't they use a thicker gasket material? If a T3 can slide in between the gasket and the holder, there is obviously enough space to accomodate a thicker gasket.

Another thing I noticed about the gaskets is that after they are cut, they are pretty rough on the inner portion. Not sure if this has ever damaged a card, but you would think some improvements could be made. You can actually see some of the chipped off border on the T3 Downey.

Mike

M's_Fan
12-15-2010, 11:46 AM
A thicker gasket would be better for SGC.

Why would anyone put a photo in the PSA no-gasket holders? Same with PSA's card holders where the card is just floating around, its awful for the card and awful looking.

Kawika
12-15-2010, 12:33 PM
A thicker gasket would be better for SGC.

Why would anyone put a photo in the PSA no-gasket holders? Same with PSA's card holders where the card is just floating around, its awful for the card and awful looking.
Just to reiterate what M's Fan just said: the PSA holder had no gasket - my scan did not not make that fact apparent. The sleeve is much larger than the photo, hence there was plenty of room for the photo to slip and slide and do the hootchy-koo. I realize that this problem is not limited to photos but to cards also, and not just to PSA but SGC too. I disagree about the "awful looking" part. Were the sleeve appropriately sized and the photo properly secured (and if these geniuses ever learned to spell) I think it would present quite nicely.
And, to add, the two photos were in a padded envelope tight in a box snug within a second box kinda like one of them Russian dolls. The only thing more Bill G. could have done was have it hand carried by virgins from St Louis to Honolulu. Packing was not the problem here.

Soxs?
(Photo not mine)
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/large/White%20Soxs.jpg

Jim VB
12-15-2010, 12:41 PM
The only thing more Bill G. could have done was have it hand carried by virgins from St Louis to Honolulu.

Is this another of your wild ass rants, or is it the start of a business plan?

Kawika
12-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Is this another of your wild ass rants, or is it the start of a business plan?
I think you're mistaking me with that Van Brunt fellow.

calvindog
12-15-2010, 01:36 PM
The only thing more Bill G. could have done was have it hand carried by virgins from St Louis to Honolulu.

Pffffft. Bill refused to go the extra mile.

egbeachley
12-15-2010, 02:52 PM

It's available which is surprising since most companies buy the *sucks name just to avoid others from getting it.

HOF Yankees
12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Dave, hey man sorry on the that crap psa messed up a cool vintage wire photo, I would be sending back a very bad letter along with never using their services, good luck and keep us informed to what happens

Steve D
12-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I feel your pain Jim, regarding the problem with your T3's.

The same thing happened to me with an R303-A Ted Williams. The holder wasn't properly sealed and came open during shipping, allowing the card to slide down behind the gasket.

I refuse to send it back to SGC through the mail, as I feel that would make the card susceptible to further damage. I'm still waiting to be able to have it reholdered by SGC at a show, since I'm in San Antonio TX, and SGC doesn't come to any of the shows in Texas :(

Steve

rhettyeakley
12-16-2010, 09:07 PM
I just got this in the mail--It doesn't look like any damage was done to the card and I had planned on setting him loose anyways but it did make me laugh a little when I saw it.
-Rhett

http://www.starsofthediamond.com/e270shotten.jpg

Pup6913
12-18-2010, 03:30 PM
obviously PSA has issues with everything in the holders.

This is Jay's from the BST

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/17931434.jpg

David Atkatz
12-18-2010, 07:21 PM
David that's just horrible. A design change on PSA's part so the picture has no play inside the sleeve is very necessary after seeing this. Sad, a beauty like this can survive 100+ years in a harsh environment only to be screwed up in a matter of minutes due to something as silly as poor planning. Simply uncalled for.

No. It wasn't screwed up due to "poor planning." It was screwed up by having undergone a completely unnecessary encapsulation.

When was the last time you saw a museum or archive have a photo encapsulated? Yeah. That's right. Never.

There's a reason for that.