PDA

View Full Version : Throwing cards Away ? !

NATCARD
12-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Maybe this has been covered before but it is very interesting to think about.
If you buy large collections and have done so for many years what do you do with the bottom of the grading scale of cards. What to do with the POOR or P*ss Poor cards. Do you throw them out? put them in a box and let them sit there for ever. Is it sacrilegious to throw out cards.
Let me know what you think.

sandmountainslim
12-11-2010, 05:26 PM
If you buy large collections and have done so for many years what do you do with the bottom of the grading scale of cards. What to do with the POOR or P*ss Poor cards. Do you throw them out? put them in a box and let them sit there for ever. Is it sacrilegious to throw out cards.

Holy Mother of Cake!!! I COLLECT low grade T206 and just bought seventy five percent of a Polar Bear card......throw em out indeed!
Wp

iggyman
12-11-2010, 05:36 PM
On Net54 we worship/embrace KARMA and throwing away prewar cards is really really really "bad" KARMA. With that said, throwing away modern cards is actually very good karma (go figure.....).

Lovely Day...

GoldenAge50s
12-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I throw all damaged cards, gum stained, cards I don't want,etc. in a shoe box & put them on the yard sale table-(1970 & up). Someone always buys them.

Wite3
12-11-2010, 05:52 PM
I never throw away cards...there is a large market for lesser condition cards pre-1980 and a very large market for beater cards pre-war. Post 1980 cards, if the cards are poor, I tend to give them away to kids in my school. They love owning cards from before they were born (and in some cases now, before their parents were born!). Nothing is worthless when it comes to cards and memories.

Joshua

carrigansghost
12-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I just passed out. I'll take the damaged, the ripped and the creased and treat them as angels.

Rawn

rhettyeakley
12-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I have thrown cards away before but only because there was really bad mildew/mold on them. With my "eye-sore" pre-1970-80 or so cards I tend to throw them in a box and when I get to 100 or so cards I'll throw them on ebay and someone will buy them for $5-10 or more as a group as there are usually some stars in there--it is almost sacreligious to speak of throwing them away--especially any pre-WW2 cards.
-Rhett

pitchernut
12-11-2010, 06:24 PM
If it's pre-war cards I know a great recycling place here in Coos Bay OR:D

Matt
12-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Sometimes the wife will forget to replenish the toilet paper. When I run out of cards, I move on to currency.

bbcard1
12-11-2010, 07:13 PM
I am putting about 1000 in teamset bags to give to underprivlieged youth. I am not sure I am doing them any great favors and it barely puts a dent in my excess...but it's something in the stockings. Always try to make sure to put at least one pretty good card in a teamset bag.

sandmountainslim
12-11-2010, 07:29 PM
The only cards I would consider throwing in the trash are the so-called "Topps T206" which ALWAYS pop up when I am searching on ebay for REAL T206 cards. WTH are these things anyway??? I wouldn't give a buck fifty for five sets of them.
Wp

fkw
12-11-2010, 07:45 PM
What do I think???

I think you need to give us a better description ....

Are they 1978 Topps cards with dozens of pinholes in the faces or are they 1915 Cracker Jacks with creases and ink on the back???

All depends on the card.

At worst sell them for $2 a pound, or give them away at Halloween to the kids.

Section103
12-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Sometimes the wife will forget to replenish the toilet paper. When I run out of cards, I move on to currency.

Admit it. The quarters and dimes are hard to get used to.

Matt
12-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Admit it. The quarters and dimes are hard to get used to.

I stopped using change when we had a few incidents where not all the coins could be accounted for. I'm strictly a paper currency man now. The makeup of the new hundred dollar bills is a dead ringer for two-ply Charmin.

Leon
12-12-2010, 07:21 AM
I stopped using change when we had a few incidents where not all the coins could be accounted for. I'm strictly a paper currency man now. The makeup of the new hundred dollar bills is a dead ringer for two-ply Charmin.

C'mon Matt.....with your wife's profession of being an MD I am sure she could find those coins for you :eek:.

pitchernut
12-12-2010, 07:31 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Basball-Card-Collection-Honus-Wagner-Whitey-Ford-Autogr-/320627165078?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4aa6de4796

oops did I out another one:rolleyes:

sandmountainslim
12-12-2010, 07:49 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Basball-Card-Collection-Honus-Wagner-Whitey-Ford-Autogr-/320627165078?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4aa6de4796

oops did I out another one:rolleyes:

Looks like he also made up a fake ebay account and placed a bid on his collection :D....yessireee! That's ole Wagner alright! I would recognize him anywhere!
Wp

egbeachley
12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Looks like he also made up a fake ebay account and placed a bid on his collection :D....yessireee! That's ole Wagner alright! I would recognize him anywhere!
Wp

Anyone want to make a bid to see how high he went? you can always retract by saying you just realized they were fake. Ebay can't fault you for that response.

I love it when they end up giving themselves good feedback and then a month later have to pay $50 Ebay fees.

sandmountainslim
12-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Anyone want to make a bid to see how high he went? you can always retract by saying you just realized they were fake. Ebay can't fault you for that response.

I love it when they end up giving themselves good feedback and then a month later have to pay $50 Ebay fees.

I would be afraid ebay would hold me to it!
Funny that the shipping is worth more than the cards!
No idea how much the wooden box is worth.
Wp

jcmtiger
12-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I just gave about 60 boxes of cards (500) count to my 2 grandsons age 6 an 7.
Of course these were 1980-1990 cards. They can play with them or save them, I don't care.

Joe

CowboysGuide
12-12-2010, 10:32 AM

I wouldn't throw them away, no matter what condition they are in. Several decent suggestions have been made, Halloween, under-privileged kids, ect...You never know, they just might inspire a new collector into the hobby.

I collect football, and would love to get some 'throw-away' pre-war baseball cards to get a feel for the era and history.

Republicaninmass
12-12-2010, 12:47 PM

..and much less risk of accidentally poking through the toilet paper

bh3443
12-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Jeff and I were talking about this when he visited me last weekend.
Over the years, I've given huge boxes of cards to local hospitals, orphanages, etc.., However, the places here in Metro-Boston no longer will take them!
A second way to dispose of bulk cards is to give them directly to the players on them. This way the player has cards for his fans/friends in a good amount.

The issue we have at hand is the hundreds of thousands of bulk cards from the 80's/90's that do not sell. Even the kids around here only want new players they know in most cases.

As for the low grade poor shape cards, they have some value to collectors.

The primary focus is the bulk 80's/90's cards that we all have!

I honestly believe that they printed so much of those years that a demand may never happen. Just my opinion.

shaunsteig
12-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I would be afraid ebay would hold me to it!
Funny that the shipping is worth more than the cards!
No idea how much the wooden box is worth.
Wp

am a little confused how, with a starting bid of $9976 and only one bidder, how come the current bid is an even $10k?

and who's the player in the upper left corner?

on the plus side, you can earn $200 eBay bucks!

Orioles1954
12-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Jeff and I were talking about this when he visited me last weekend.
Over the years, I've given huge boxes of cards to local hospitals, orphanages, etc.., However, the places here in Metro-Boston no longer will take them!
A second way to dispose of bulk cards is to give them directly to the players on them. This way the player has cards for his fans/friends in a good amount.

The issue we have at hand is the hundreds of thousands of bulk cards from the 80's/90's that do not sell. Even the kids around here only want new players they know in most cases.

As for the low grade poor shape cards, they have some value to collectors.

The primary focus is the bulk 80's/90's cards that we all have!

I honestly believe that they printed so much of those years that a demand may never happen. Just my opinion.

We could solve our energy crisis right now if we burned all of the 80s-90s cards out there. Honestly, it's not the worst thing in the world to do with them :)

marvjung
12-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Sometimes when I buy lots, I save the much lower graded ones and then put them in a nice frame. I take that frame with about 12 or so cards (sometimes 10, or 8, depending on the frame) and for the last two summers I have given them away as a silent auction item for the Alzheimer's Association, held in San Francisco.

canjond
12-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I feel foolish that I've been a member of this forum for what feels like 10 years now and I never realized low grade cards like T206s are collectible. I normally just toss them when they aren't at least a 3.

bbcard1
12-13-2010, 05:45 AM
This would seem to make a compelling argument against throwing away even the ratiest cards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/29-VINTAGE-BBC-LOT-POOR-T205-206-Goudeys-Caramels-53T-/190477065345?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2c59515c81

dstraate
12-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Not the Johnson I've been looking for, but hey I use PSA, so you never know... could be a 3 (mc)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T206-WALTER-JOHNSON-PORTRAIT-EL-PRINCIPE-GALES-/220709569660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336350c47c

sandmountainslim
12-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Closing argument against throwin away cards. I will let Mr. Tommy Leach speak for me.

I PAID for this one ....not a fortune but still currency.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs242.snc4/39440_1780513112814_1239022746_2121412_2315373_n.j pg

Cat
12-13-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't throw cards away!! On a related note, if anyone is seaching for a Danny Tartabull rookie card, I'm your go-to guy.

B O'Brien
12-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Dang Slim,
I hope Mr. Leach came with free shipping. However the colors are great on that one!
Bob