PDA

View Full Version : I'm New

sandmountainslim
12-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new and have enjoyed reading the topics.
I am new to BB Card collecting but have collected comics for many many years.
I started out collecting low to mid grade Pre-War cards of all types but have decided I like the t206 set best and am now collecting lower grade T206 only.

Here is my newest arrival in my small collection. I understand this gent holds the record for most wild pitches in a single season and I like the date stamp on the back

http://i.ebayimg.com/22/!B9qPi3wCWk~$(KGrHqUOKjUEzF0y01tMBM6,fRPjlg~~_3.JP G

Some of my cards are in a condition which I am sure most collectors would turn their noses at such as Mr. Jack Knight

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs593.ash2/154529_1755893777346_1239022746_2072143_5633043_n. jpg

But I love them anyways. This t206 set is far more interesting than I could have even imagined it was when I started.
Good to meet everyone and hope to learn a ton here.
Wp

AndyG09
12-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Welcome aboard! You couldn't come to a better place to learn. Prepare to see amazing cards, and a great group of collectors sharing their wisdom. Good luck with your collection! You'll find plenty of 206s on the B/S/T and some will be right up your alley.

Best,

Andy

sandmountainslim
12-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Welcome aboard! You couldn't come to a better place to learn. Prepare to see amazing cards, and a great group of collectors sharing their wisdom. Good luck with your collection! You'll find plenty of 206s on the B/S/T and some will be right up your alley.

Best,

Andy

Thank U much for the welcome :)
I will be looking thru the BST from time to time to see what's there.
My preference is for ungraded unslabbed cards or "fillers" as I see them called. Fits my budget and I can put them in standard size toploaders and sleeves and they fit together neatly.
Wp

HRBAKER
12-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Welcome Slim!

Leon
12-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Welcome wp (Slim),

You will fit right in with us. Some of us collect higher grade (not me usually) but most of us collect cards instead of slabs. (not that there is anything wrong with that). We are mostly a friendly bunch with a few in-family arguments as any family has.
Check out the overall site too...under the "community" tab there is a neat place to have a picture album as well as a members list etc...and we have a memorabilia section and a post-war section with other sports too, under each of the icons at top....Take care, happy collecting and welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay. If I can ever help just let me know!!

Zach Wheat
12-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey Welcome! Reading stories and background information on deadball players in the T206 set is one of my favorite parts about collecting.

Zach

FrankWakefield
12-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Welcome. And I like the look of your cards. Knowledge of Ames' wild pitches adds to your enjoyment of his card. I think that knowing about the people depicted on the cards one's collecting really adds to the enjoyment and appreciation. Much better, in my estimation, than focusing solely on a paper slip atop a slab.

mrvster
12-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Welcome slim!!

you came to the right place....i collect t206 errors/printers scrap mostly...nice choice w/ t206!!:) have a blast!!

Peace

Johnny

sandmountainslim
12-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome :)

Already enjoying the board.

here is my Facebook gallery of the cards I have collected so far. I only have 13 of them but I only started collecting in November so don't judge too harshly.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1781411255267&set=a.1755893217332.2103257.1239022746#!/album.php?aid=2103257&id=1239022746

triwak
12-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Welcome aboard! Love the date stamp on the Ames card!

yanksfan09
12-11-2010, 12:34 PM
welcome, There's nothing wrong with low condition cards. They have a lot of story and character to them. It's a great way to get started out, especially in a weak economy. It's best to stick to lower dollar stuff and do a lot of research fisrt when starting out so you dont get burned....Take it slow and be careful, it's addicting.

rc4157
12-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Your cards look great, it's all about what you enjoy and where your focus is in regard to your collecting. Many of us have some difficulty on the "focus" part.
There are a lot of people here with tremendous knowledge about vintage cards, I think you'll enjoy being a part of the family.

RC

sandmountainslim
12-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Collecting the Tobacco Cards has been fun for both me and my little girl

My daughter is 4 years old and she just LOVES when anything comes in the mail and I always show her my new cards as they arrive. they are safely in toploaders and sleeves so durable enough so I play a little card game with her involving the cards in which each of us rolls a ten sided dice after putting a player's card up and one wins and the other goes in the "lose pile".

I ordered a few sheets of the Galasso reprints with the intent of framing them for my wall and they arrived in the mail yesterday and McKenzie asked "Is it pictures of cards?" I told her they WERE baseball cards but just not real ones like the others we have and she glanced over the faces on the reprint sets and said "Look Daddy, It's Bill Chappelle!" ....WHOA! The fact that she remembered a name that long after hearing me say it in our little game and recognized a player from 1910 made me smile from ear to ear with pride.

ethicsprof
12-11-2010, 10:04 PM
welcome aboard!!!
your most positive attitude is especially welcome!
and as you do the t206s, remember the dictum:
the monster wants you to quit; don't listen to it!

all the best,
barry

teetwoohsix
12-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I'd also like to say welcome. Always glad to see more T206 collectors :) You have found the place to be.

Sincerely, Clayton

tonyk1975
12-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Welcome aboard Slim.T206 is an awesome set and you will learn alot about it on this site. Happy Collecting.

tonyk1975
12-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Collecting the Tobacco Cards has been fun for both me and my little girl

My daughter is 4 years old and she just LOVES when anything comes in the mail and I always show her my new cards as they arrive. they are safely in toploaders and sleeves so durable enough so I play a little card game with her involving the cards in which each of us rolls a ten sided dice after putting a player's card up and one wins and the other goes in the "lose pile".

I ordered a few sheets of the Galasso reprints with the intent of framing them for my wall and they arrived in the mail yesterday and McKenzie asked "Is it pictures of cards?" I told her they WERE baseball cards but just not real ones like the others we have and she glanced over the faces on the reprint sets and said "Look Daddy, It's Bill Chappelle!" ....WHOA! The fact that she remembered a name that long after hearing me say it in our little game and recognized a player from 1910 made me smile from ear to ear with pride.

Thats awesome you may have a future collector on your hands.

bh3443
12-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Hello and welcome to Net54.
I've been a collector, show promoter, store owner and involved in cards since the mid 70's. Now, net54 has emerged as the undisputed leader of our hobby!
You will fit in perfectly with us all.
It doesn't matter what you collect or what grade because our common bond is that we love to collect and share our hobby.
I love my low grade commons I get just as much as the rare and expensive stuff I have from years ago.
Enjoy the site, ask questions and remember that in my opinion, the finest group of people I have ever met are the members of net54. I'm proud to count myself among this fine group and I'm very happy that these members are my dear friends.
Enjoy and again, welcome to our site.
Bill Hedin
Framingham, Mass.

E93
12-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Welcome aboard.
JimB

sandmountainslim
12-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks again for the welcome :)
Here are all the cards I have so far but since I have been collecting tobacco cards for less than a month its a decent start.
All commons but I am really impressed with each of them with the Knight and Ames being my favorites.
Wp

Knight (Batting) - Poor - Piedmont 350 Fac. 25
Herzog (Standing) - Poor - Piedmont 150 Fac. 25
Ames (Portrait) - Good - Sweet Caporal 150 Fac. 25
Ganzel (Fielding) - Poor - Piedmont 350 Fac. 25
Chapelle (Ready to Throw) - Fair - Piedmont 350 Fac. 25
Graham (Follow Thru) - Fair - Cycle 350
Criss (Follow Thru) - VG - Piedmont 150 Fac. 25
Starr (Fielding) - VG - Piedmont 350 Fac. 25
Turner (Portrait) - Fair - Piedmont 150 Fac. 25
Wilhelm (Ready to Pitch) - VG - Piedmont 350 Fac. 25
Clarke (Batting) - Fair - Sweet Caporal 150 Fac. 25
Schlei (Batting) - G - Sweet Caporal 350-460 Fac. 25
Leach Poor Polar Bear

tonyk1975
12-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Nice start Slim.

BlueDevil89
12-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the Board, Bill.

Good luck building your collection!

dstraate
12-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I dig lower grade cards anyway. My Great Grandfather built a barn near 1900. It was the picture of Eastern Iowa Elegance at the time. Now, it's a little rough around the edges. Time is supposed to do that to things...

Happy Collecting.

David