PDA

View Full Version : IBHOF New Inductees - Eclectic Mix

wake.up.the.echoes
12-07-2010, 11:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5895427

CANASTOTA, N.Y. -- Mike Tyson, whose meteoric rise to the pinnacle of boxing and stunning fall from grace was legendary, was selected Tuesday for induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame and Museum.

Three-division champion Julio Cesar Chavez of Mexico and Russian-born Kostya Tszyu, a junior welterweight champion, also were selected, along with Mexican trainer Ignacio "Nacho" Beristain, referee Joe Cortez, and screenwriter Sylvester Stallone.

Posthumous honorees to be enshrined June 12, 2011 include: bantamweight Memphis Pal Moore, light heavyweight champion Jack Root, and middleweight Dave Shade in the old-timer category; British heavyweight John Gully in the pioneer category; promoter A.F. Bettinson; and broadcaster Harry Carpenter.

Inductees were voted on by members of the Boxing Writers Association of America and a panel of international boxing historians.

Robextend
12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
and screenwriter Sylvester Stallone.

That's awesome...

wake.up.the.echoes
12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
I can just hear him screaming, "Yo Adrian, I did it!"

(And you can too...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgScBiXkO9Y

-Alan

D. Bergin
12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Hmmmm. Some of those picks seem to be completely out of the blue. :confused:

wake.up.the.echoes
12-07-2010, 11:52 AM
The IBHOF has strange induction criteria indeed. This year is no exception.

Writehooks
12-07-2010, 07:10 PM
As a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America, I get to cast an annual ballot for nominees in the "modern" category and was happy to see all three of this year's first-timers (Tyson, Chavez and Tszyu) make the grade from the 50 names put forward. As for Stallone going in as an "observer" (voted on by a separate panel), I have mixed feelings. Yes, Rocky Balboa has certainly achieved cult pop culture immortality, but is that truly worthy of HoF induction? If it is, then Stacy Keach is surely deserving for his portrayal of Billy Tully in "Fat City" (the greatest boxing movie ever made), as are John Garfield ("Body and Soul") and Kirk Douglas ("Champion"). The real fun in Canastota next June will be to see who draws the loudest cheers from what's sure to be the biggest crowd since Muhammad Ali led the inaugural class. My bet is that Iron Mike's reception will put Sly's to shame.

wake.up.the.echoes
12-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Murr,

The Boxing Writers Association of America seems to have reached a consensus with the "Modern" class inductees of Tyson, Chavez and Tszyu. To me, a layperson, each seems worthy of induction. I am more familiar with Tyson and Chavez than I am with Tszyu, but I do recall Tszyu beating Chavez later in Chavez's career.

I share your sentiments about Stallone. While arguments can be made to justify his induction, I would guess that the hall inducted him to draw a crowd—although that hardly seems necessary given the inclusion of Tyson in this year's class.

My issues are mostly with the inclusion of Dave Shade and John Gully. Any idea why Shade was inducted? I don't understand why Shade or Gully are considered particularly special. From what I have read, Shade was a good fighter, but always a bridesmaid, never a bride—what I mean is that Shade seemingly settled for being a highly ranked contender, rather than a champion. Did he ever win anything? As far as Gully is concerned, I really haven't read anything that indicates that Gully had a hall of fame worthy boxing career. Is it because he gained fame as a literary character or as a politician?

Anyway, I think the BWAA got it right with the modern class, but I am not sure I agree with some of the posthumous honorees.

Alan

D. Bergin
12-08-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm a bit surprised Kostya Tszyu got in on his 1st ballot. A fine fighter when he was on, but he was fairly inactive during the last 5 years of his career.

His career defining fight was against Zab Judah nearly 10 years ago.........a fighter who until this very day is STILL trying to realize his potential.

Most of the big names on his resume were well past it and coming up in weight when he fought them. Not to be harsh, but the Chavez win is meaningless.

I've got no problem with Dave Shade. Never won a title, but he fought and Beat or Drew with many Champions and other HOF'ers, and was a very prolific fighter, even for his time.

Gave a prime Mickey Walker hell, for three fights.

Exhibitman
12-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Murr, is it mandatory to elect from each category each time or can the voters give it a pass if no one strikes their fancy?

The three moderns were good choices; JCC was the easiest choice of the three IMO since he fully realized his potential and had no nasty moral issues to consider. Tyson will always be the "what if" guy but IMO was for a few years there as lethal a heavyweight as the world has ever seen. Tszyu certainly has enough cred to merit induction, though I too wondered whether he'd make it on the 1st shot.

I had no problem with Shade, either, for the reasons Dave stated. The title thing is kinda nonsensical when it comes to prewar fighters--so few divisions, so many "KO or no title" fights. You just can't compare a career waged under conditions like that to one now, with 80+ potential belts out there at any time. Seems like you can pull a title belt out of a cereal box nowadays.

Gully definitely has a resume thinner than piss on a rock; don't see that one.

Stallone. Now that is an interesting question. I suppose you could say that most regular non-fan types out there know what little they know about boxing from Rocky and he did win the Boxing Writers Association of America award for “Lifetime Cinematic Achievement in Boxing” in 2006, so I don't think this as out of the blue as it may have seemed. On the other hand, it is kind of like awarding a wine competition to grape juice.

Regardless of the motives, next year is gonna be a fun weekend. I might even have to drag my lazy butt from CA to Canastota for that one!

Writehooks
12-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Alan, Adam & Dave –
Good observations, guys. I have no qualms about Shade's induction; in fact, his 124-23-46 record is similar to that of another guy who I think deserves to be in the Hall, even though he never won a world title: Tiger Jack Fox. The Spokane slugger was 152-23-12 overall and 5-3-1 against world champions and HoFers, including a pair of wins over Jersey Joe Walcott.
Can't say the same about Gully, though. I chalk up his inclusion to the same kind of sentimental support that put Barry McGuigan in the Hall a few years back.
To answer your question, Adam, voters can indeed pass if nobody strikes their fancy, and nominees who fall short of the required percentage can be recycled the following year. BWAA members are asked to mark up to 10 names on the "modern category" ballot (usually from a list of about 50), but only the top three make it.

Murr