PDA

View Full Version : Where Should They Have The National?

Buythatcard
12-07-2010, 05:04 AM
I am not sure whether this poll has been out there before. There always seems to be a lot of talk on where the National should be, so let's get an idea.

Rich Klein
12-07-2010, 05:10 AM
Is that you have to have

Space big enough
Affordability

You can do the National at the Javitz Center in NY but the Union Costs will 2-3x the dealer booth prices at a minimum not counting the extra expenses to set up there. In defence of Berkus, Wilke, Broggi, etc -- they have other aspects to consider in addition to what we think of as dealers/collectors

Rich

chris122868
12-07-2010, 05:15 AM
I would like to see it in INDIANAPOLIS,INDIANA at the convention center.

Exhibitman
12-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Vegas, baby!

quinnsryche
12-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Centrally located makes the most sense. If you put it on either coast, you risk losing the traffic from the other one. Chicago, KC, Indy, StL seem to be better choices for ease of travel. Just my 2 cents.

bigtrain
12-07-2010, 07:10 AM
I want an Atlantic City National with a Net 54 baseball game at Pop Lloyd Field.

tedzan
12-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Howard

Yes, there was a variation of this poll 2 months ago, check-out this link........

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=128433

The final vote here will essentially end up reflecting the geographical make-up of Net54 members posting here.
It's only natural, that most Net54 members would prefer to have the National show near where they live.

My vote is no secret.....since I live in Pennsylvania.....it's Baltimore for me.

The results of this poll should be quite interesting.

Thanks for starting it.

TED Z

Rob D.
12-07-2010, 07:43 AM
I want an Atlantic City National with a Net 54 baseball game at Pop Lloyd Field.

I know who one of the managers should be.

David W
12-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Indianapolis gets my vote also, next is Cleveland.

Of course those are the ones closest to my home, reflecting Ted Z's comment.

Frank A
12-07-2010, 09:14 AM
All the dealers seem to think all the money is in Chicago. Not Mine. I will never visit Chicago for a show. Then you say so what? I am just one of many whose new blood would be good for dealers. Oh well, I guess you don't need fresh money.

Frank

Matt
12-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I know who one of the managers should be.

baseball, not softball.

Section103
12-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Im happy as long as it continues to MOVE. I'd like to see it move much more so than the small handful of cities that it currently visits, but I'll concede that the organizers probably know more about running this show than I do.

timzcardz
12-07-2010, 09:39 AM
NY is the closest for me, and I am in NYC 5 days a week, but don't think it can beat Baltimore's Inner Harbor for the convention.

NY is expensive.

When dealing with people from out of town, and that includes our own employees from our NJ office, I find that many people are intimidated by NYC.

So I didn't vote for the closest. I went with Baltimore.

dstraate
12-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Here's a second for Vegas.

Buythatcard
12-07-2010, 10:16 AM
You can never have enough posts/polls about the National. I agree that many members might choose a venue that is near them. I hope that doesn't put too much weight on their decision.

tbob
12-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Vegas, baby!

+1

Bill Stone
12-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Louisville, Kentucky --Slugger Museum-Bats baseball in a beautiful little park. Close to everyone and a friendly town.:)

perezfan
12-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Tie between San Diego and Las Vegas for me. Neither was listed as a choice in the poll....

scooter729
12-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I get that I would feel be biased in support of this since I'm from the area, but why has Boston not been considered more?

There is plenty of convention space, a fairly major show is held here and supported on an annual basis, and there is plenty to do around town during the summer.

Is it a fear that Boston is too far for many in the country to attend?

glenv
12-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Dallas would have plenty of direct flights, and shouldn't be too expensive (as compared to NY and LA). That said, I'm all for Vegas!

chris
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Louisville, Kentucky --Slugger Museum-Bats baseball in a beautiful little park. Close to everyone and a friendly town.:)

I live in Louisville and think its the best city in the country but the convention center is not big enough and flights into Louisville would be expensive but everything else very cheap. It could work but the National committee would never go for it.

Ohio_Collectibles
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I am in Arizona, and I voted other. However I'm not saying it should be in Phoenix. I think a National in Dallas/Ft. Worth or St. Louis would be excellent choices.

St. Louis is a wonderful central city that is relatively inexpensive after all things are considered.

Dallas/Ft. Worth would be interesting as well as it is near the homes of Beckett & Panini (Formerly Donruss) and it would be interesting to see if they would open up their offices for tours during the National

curch
12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I have only been to the Atlantic City one. And it would be nice to see it there again.

12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I voted Baltimore, because:

1) It was my first National.
2) The location (Camden Yards and the Inner Harbor) was fantastic.
3) The convenience of the Light Rail allowed us to stay farther out for less money.
4) I spent a few summers in DC during college and was somewhat familiar with the area.

My question for the National veterans: what's the transportation/hotel situation in and around the convention center in Rosemont?

Jacklitsch
12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
1. Vegas
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago

alanu
12-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Vegas!

Clark7781
12-07-2010, 05:22 PM
I voted for Dallas. Reasons are:

Center of the country, and both coasts have almost equal (or close to it) travel times.

American Airlines main hub is DFW.

Has a large, and numerous, convention centers.

It's in Texas, and Texas is cool and has damn good beef BBQ.

matthew
12-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Of the given choices, I'd say Dallas.

I like the Louisville suggestion also. St Louis or Nashville could handle the crowds also.

sbfinley
12-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Nashville, but give us a few years to finish off the new convention center.

teetwoohsix
12-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Add another here for Las Vegas !!! Everything needed is here !!! Second,third, and fourth would be a toss up between Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego.

Clayton

Rich Klein
12-08-2010, 05:38 AM
I'd be a BIG Fan of the National coming here ---

The only places I think can handle the size of the show is Market Hall or the Dallas Convention Center

However; we're not a big card area for collectors -- we have maybe one to two passable shows a year -- and the show's infrastructure is similar to what Cleveland's would be -- and that is a downer.

Regards
Rich

bbcard1
12-08-2010, 06:46 AM
I liked the Baltimore area...Northern Virginia (Dulles Conv) could hold some good opportunities...non-union, close to cheap air, MLB, access to major markets.

If I never go to another Atlantic City National, it will be too soon.

E93
12-08-2010, 01:12 PM
San Diego is a great idea. The convention center is downtown near the ballpark and lot of restaurants. No east coast humidity. Lots for families to do like the beach, Sea World, the Zoo, etc..
JimB

bijoem
12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I vote for Vegas.
- - and if not Vegas, I vote for Las Vegas.

brianp-beme
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
San Diego or Vegas would make great non-hobby related destinations, and San Diego's ample sized convention center is right there next to Petco Park and the Gaslamp area. Don't know anything about the going rates at either place though...

Brian

quinnsryche
12-08-2010, 02:04 PM
You guys voting for California destinations do know it used to be there in the past right? Do you know why it's not anymore? It was a colossal failure. Small crowds and dealers from the east refuse to haul their stuff 3000 miles across country. Not being mean or anything, but history has proven it doesn't work there. Sorry!

Jim VB
12-08-2010, 02:17 PM
You guys voting for California destinations do know it used to be there in the past right? Do you know why it's not anymore? It was a colossal failure. Small crowds and dealers from the east refuse to haul their stuff 3000 miles across country. Not being mean or anything, but history has proven it doesn't work there. Sorry!

Actually, I think the best attended show in history was in Anaheim.

autograf
12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Think you're right VB.........or Arlington, TX........both were at the height of the craze and it's been downhill ever since. While I loved Anaheim, I'd favor the three recents of Baltimore, Chicago & Cleveland. Chicago & Cleveland are close drives for me and Baltimore a cheap Southwest ticket..........and not having a car worked perfectly this year taking the train from airport to show. Actually, Baltimore was pretty nice. I'd take it over Cleveland as well.........so I go (1) Chicago, (2) Baltimore, (3) Cleveland..........

Been to all since 1992 (Atlanta) and I'd have to say Anaheims were my most fun but only because of the tangent trips I took attached to them. Atlantic City was pretty fun too but I don't see it going back there. Chicago's have always been nice and you got two BB teams, great food & museums, etc........

ChiefBenderForever
12-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Baltimore because it was perfect and had everything right there. Boston would be awesome. San Diego would be really cool. Dallas, St. Louis, or Kansas City would be some great BBQ food !! Denver would be really fun as well if they have the space for the show.

Jewish-collector
12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I voted for Baltimore, because I'm only an hour away. But, perhaps the poll should have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice.

I know a lot of people hate the National in Cleveland, but logistically it is the easiest to get in & out of the expo center. Plus, I love the House of Blues venue downtown, since I always go there at least one night for a concert.

I suppose if they ever built a convention center in downtown Cleveland, it would have more votes. Thus, I've realized that the cities that "work well" for a National are the ones that everything is within walking distance in a downtown setting (convention center, baseball stadium, hotels, restaurants, night clubs, family stuff to do, etc,...) Perhaps, the promoters should try that idea if they want to choose additional cities to try (ie San Diego, Pittsburgh, etc,...).

Alan

sreader3
12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Agree with Adam, Steve, Alan et al.

VEGAS!

(With OJ in jail, should be safe enough).

BBSD
12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
San Diego... you guys/gals will never want to leave

Rich Klein
12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
In 1997; they had the All-star game Fan Fest, a venue which needs a lot of room in Downtown Cleveland. The funniest thing about that was that I (we) stayed out of town and drove in each day -- where for the National I'd want to stay within a walk or cab distance. But there is a venue downtown that can handle the National

Rich

bcornell
12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
If I have to choose from this list, I'll take the closest one to my backyard (SF). Actually, I would've voted for "anywhere but Cleveland, again" if that was offered.

It ends up not mattering, really. I'm heading to my 9th straight next summer.

Bill

WWGjohn
12-09-2010, 07:52 AM
I know that a relatively small proportion of collectors live in the south, but, living in Alabama, the last shows I attended were the 92 and 98 shows in Atlanta. However, there are better locations down here, one being New Orleans (great facilities and who's gonna beat the night life). Also centrally located would be Memphis (best barbeque and blues) and St. Louis. For those of us on limited travel budgets, sites within reasonable driving distances would really help.

John

Leon
12-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Unless it's in my backyard in Dallas I don't really care where it's held. Once I get on a plane I am going to wherever it takes me. I get to the destination and then do the show. Site seeing is for families (to me) and I don't have mine with me. Most of the sites I see are in whatever hotel bar is closest to the show. The show could be in the Mojave Desert or Rhode Island.....makes no difference. See ya'll when we get there!! :)

E93
12-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I like Chicago because the airport is a big hub and people from mid-size to larger cities can get there in one flight rather than two or more.
JimB

Exhibitman
12-09-2010, 11:07 AM
That is definitely a selling point for Chicago.

And for VEGAS, BABY!

Rob D.
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Just received this news via e-mail:

National Exhibitors Vote to Return to Baltimore in 2012 in Special Ballot

During the 31st National Sports Collectors Convention at the Baltimore Convention Center, last summer, National organizers kept hearing one comment. “The National has got to come back to Baltimore again!”

At the Annual Meeting held on Friday night during the National, presentations were given by Atlantic City and Baltimore to host the 2014 National. However, there were two drawbacks to the bid from Baltimore. First, the Convention Center could not provide a 2014 date earlier than the middle of August (much later than the National has ever been held) and second, the Convention Center would not sign a contract with the NSCC more than 24 months in advance of those dates. Both of these issues posed large problems for the NSCC and show organizers.

Following the National, exhibitors were still very much in favor of returning to Baltimore as a result of the success of the 2010 event. Show managers Mike Berkus and John Broggi (SMI LLC) looked for a way to return to Baltimore and to overcome the two drawbacks for 2014. In October, Baltimore officials informed SMI that they could provide the National with 8/1-8/5/2012 dates, roughly the same time period as the 2010 National.

In addition, since those 2012 dates were within the 24 month requirement that Baltimore had, a contract could be signed immediately.That left one problem to be resolved. The National already had a 2012 contract with Cleveland. SMI LLC entered into negotiations with I-X Center personnel concerning the possibility of moving the 2012 National, originally scheduled there. Several discussions with Cleveland’s I-X Center were held and SMI LLC has agreed to pay Cleveland a one-time non-refundable fee to move the 2012 show and to hold the 2014 show in Cleveland. In addition, the 2018 National will be held at the I-X Center. This change provides a longer interval between shows in Cleveland. Once a tentative agreement was reached with the I-X Center, a ballot was sent to National Exhibitors for approval. Dealers voted overwhelmingly to return to Baltimore in 2012.

The Booth Selection Lottery in Chicago next summer will provide additional details concerning Baltimore 2012.

A limited number of booths still remain for the 32nd National in Chicago. If you wish to exhibit in August, please contact Megan in the National Office immediately to reserve one of the remaining locations. Call her direct at 732-735-6683. Full payment will be required before space can be assigned.