PDA

View Full Version : Pricing

Railroad Bill
12-06-2010, 04:47 AM
I am new at collecting. I want to start with 1961 - 1970 Topps PSA rated.

Which service is best to determine the actual market pricing:

PSA
Vintagecardprices
Beckett
Cardprice

Thank you,

mintacular
12-06-2010, 07:20 AM
VCP vintage card prices.com is really the #1 site to get avg prices of graded card sales. It's not the end all be all but should give you an idea whithin 10%of the true market value of any given GRADED card...I believe the subscription is $20-25/mo. and they track sales of graded cards only for a full year. You might want to get it for a month and then you can cancel easily if you realize it's not worth it...

I would strongly recommend against using PSAs SMR or Beckett's price "guide" as these #'s are usually inflated 10-50% on average and really don't have any basis on market research from what I can determine. If you are going to use any kind of price guide SCD is a better option as their prices are more realistic although still too high on most cards and never more realistic than real online pricing. This also is a guide for raw cards.

You may also want to consider getting terapeak $25/mo. which allows you to do "completed sales" research both graded and ungraded sales--this only goes back 90 days though but gives you the added advantage of seeing raw and results too.

Lastly, you might want to sign up at PSA message board--many of those members can share a wealth of knowledge and a few good deals on the boards..