PDA

View Full Version : Should I say something about it?

Robbie
12-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Let's say that there was a major auction coming up, to sell items from a very well known person's collection. And let's say that there was a fairly significant item with a beautiful display and description in the catalog stating that this is THE ONLY KNOWN COPY, and it is not. What is the proper thing to do? Should I say something to the auction house? Should I say something to collectors/bidders so that they make an informed decision?

I know it is not the only one because I owned another one of these items, and it is not the same one. I know of at least 2 others, unless this one is from the Halper collection, and if it were, I believe the description would say so. What would you do?

Robbie >>

Also posted on card side.

perezfan
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM
It happens all the time. There's nothing wrong with bringing it to peoples' attention (including the auction house in question).

There are a couple of items currently in Legendary being advertised as such- items of which I have seen other examples (some numerous times). One such example is Lot 508- the Pirates Schedule featuring Honus Wagner.... "the only known example in our hobby", they say.

This kind of hyperbole is unfortunately somewhat common in our hobby. Just because the auction house claims to have never seen another example doesn't mean that they don't exist. And sometimes they just flat-out fail to do their homework. Though it's rather irresponsible, I have seen many examples of this troughout the years.

perezfan
12-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Just looked at the Card side and saw that this has already been pointed out and addressed. Sorry for the duplicate info. I usually only look here, on the Memorabilia side. :o