PDA

View Full Version : Help with a photo id...

tlwise12
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm currently doing a research paper on Japanese Baseball History and need some help with identifying a photo!

My take is that this is a picture from an early Negro League exhibition...I believe it to be Biz Mackey and a Japanese baseball player...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Travis

fkw
12-05-2010, 02:30 AM
http://www.nlbpa.com/mackey__biz.html

scroll down and there is some info on the same (exact) Magazine

this is what it says...

"JAPAN 1927 - A Negro League all-star squad called the Royal Giants became the first pro team to play in Japan. Going 23-0-1, they were so popular that they paved the way for white players to tour Japan in 1931. This incredibly rare Japense sports magazine has cover shot of a Japanese player shaking hands with the Philadelphia Stars Biz Mackey and inside pages show American players black and white; one photo even shows Emperor Hirohito throwing a ball with black players watching -- something no American leader would have done at the time"

bcbgcbrcb
12-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Frank:

I have seen that same info before connected to that photo, however, I believe that the ID is an error as the individual does not look at all like Biz Mackey.

ghostmarcelle
12-05-2010, 06:51 AM
The American player pictured is Neal Pullen

Wite3
12-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Rob Fitts has written several good books on Japanese baseball history...you may want to contact him at:
ochiaifitts@verizon.net

He may be able to help you.

Joshua

fkw
12-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Cool, Thanks Matt :) ........ you guys know WAY more than me on this...
I did just find this info doing a quick search...

"Hamazaki was a player and a manager in Japan, and one of the most famous pictures from the tour is of Hamazaki and relatively obscure catcher Neil Pullen, but for years, the photo has been widely believed to be just the opposite -- a photo of the iconic Mackey and an anonymous Japanese player.

Even today, posters of the photo can be found on eBay by looking up "Biz Mackey" and "Japan."

it can be seen about 3 paragraphs from the bottom of this page....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070223&content_id=1812798&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

tlwise12
12-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys...I appreciate that!

Travis