PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Opinion needed on grading comparison

quinnsryche
12-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi. Could I get some opinions on a perspective purchase? Which would you think is the better deal for a 1953 Bowman Mantle:
A BVG 5 at $625
or
A PSA 4 at $500
I am more a pre-war guy but have always wanted this card and have opportunity for it. Both are real clean and crease free. If you have an opinion, i would love to hear it!
Thanks,
Tony

Griffins
12-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Buy the card and not the holder. That being said, the few Beckett cards I've crossed to SGC or PSA have dropped 2-3 grades. IMO they are just not in the same league.

quinnsryche
12-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Anthony, thanks for the input. They both look very close in grade with the BVG centered a tad better. I wondered what BVG's status was in the hobby in 50's and 60's baseball. I know they are respected in the 90's to present. I had a concern that the $125 bump in grade was worth it. Anyone else care to offer an opinion.
Most appreciated!

Robextend
12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I have crossed pre-war BVG graded cards to SGC pretty successfully. I actually think Beckett is more on par with their grading over PSA.

With that said, if both are clean and crease free with not much of a centering difference I would rather save myself $125 and get the PSA 4.

mintacular
12-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I have been recently soured to vintage BGS...get one with nice centering and figure out if either one has a crease and then avoid that one