PDA

View Full Version : A Story of Vindication For All Those Pissed Off About Ridiculous BIN Prices on eBay

canjond
12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Back in September, I was browsing eBay and came across a beautiful example of a PSA graded card I had always wanted. The card was listed with a typical BIN price that was 50% more than its true value. After doing much research on pricing, I decided to make the seller what I thought was a very fair off-line offer. My offer price would have been the third highest "recorded" sale of the card since 2008, and almost 18% more than the VCP average price for the card.

After making the offer, I received a very "curt" email from the seller essentially asking me if I was misinformed on the true value of vintage baseball cards. Although I would have loved to respond inkind to this email, I decided to take my toys and go home, as it was the seller's right to ask whatever he wanted for his card.

Fast forward to yesterday, I receive an email from the seller telling me that after much thought (and probably at the expense of a few re-listing fees), he decided to offer me a holiday discount and would sell me the card for my offer price. Still feeling as though I didn't get my jab in when I wanted to back in September (and still mad about the email insult I received from the seller at that time), I politely emailed the seller back informing him that my previous offer was "my September offer," and I was no longer interested in paying that price for his card. Instead, I gave him "my December offer," which was a price that was almost $575 less than my September offer, and, if accepted, would now constitute the lowest recorded sale of the card on VCP. I will freely admit that this offer was what I would describe as an "FU offer." In other words, the offer was ridiculous.

In a very Jeter-esque manner, the seller responded that my offer was crazy and too low. I politely thanked him for his time and went on my way. To my great surprise, this morning I awoke to an email from the seller informing me that he really needed to move the card to free-up cash and he would accept my offer if I would be willing to kick in for insured shipping. While part of me wanted to email the seller back and tell him that that offer was my "yesterday offer" and today my offer is "$x," I also still wanted the card and realized I was getting an incredible deal.

Moral of the story, I finally won against the juggernaut that is overpriced eBay BINs.

barrysloate
12-03-2010, 12:32 PM
It's a funny story because he would have realized a lot more a lot sooner if he accepted your offer in September.

canjond
12-03-2010, 12:43 PM
It's a funny story because he would have realized a lot more a lot sooner if he accepted your offer in September.

Only in a practical world.

chaddurbin
12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
hmm what could top the '52 mantle? :eek:

makersmarkambassador
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
I will freely admit that this offer was what I would describe as an "FU offer."

Love it!!!

HRBAKER
12-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Crow is a meal best served cold, and after all it is December.
Good for you Jon.

Vol
12-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Great story. Nothing like getting it done on your own terms.

I now forgive you for Wagner auto yesterday! ;)

Jacklitsch
12-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Now that you've outed this transaction I hereby rescind our deal. :mad:

Leon
12-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Nice one again, Jon.

no other comment at this time :)

shaunsteig
12-03-2010, 05:29 PM
at the end of a long day, and week, that story put a big smile on my face. good for you. hope you enjoy the card even more so.
--S

Luke
12-03-2010, 06:23 PM
That's awesome.

Robextend
12-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Great story...good job Jon!

baseball tourist
12-03-2010, 07:25 PM
If this an off line deal be careful that he doesn't attempt to get the last jab and send you an empty package. Just saying....

B O'Brien
12-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Word!

canjond
12-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Chris - certainly considered it so using my cc just to be safe.

calvindog
12-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Jon, love that story.

M's_Fan
12-04-2010, 08:13 AM
cool story, and you have me curious, let's see a scan of the card!

teetwoohsix
12-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Great job Jon :D

Sincerely, Clayton

canjond
12-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Fellas - I'll scan the card when it arrives. For those curious, it's a PSA 5 '33 Goudey Ruth. Certainly not the most glamorous of cards and one that us readily available, but one I wanted nonetheless.

rdixon1208
12-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I remember the first tima I saw a '33 Goudey Ruth. Without as doubt.....it was the most glamorous of cards!

brass_rat
12-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Jon,
That's an awesome story...thanks for making my day!
Steve

Bridwell
12-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Great story, Jon. Love it!

I've offered half of the BIN a couple of times this year and scored when the seller accepted! Of course, I've had to endure a few rude replies, as well...

The Goudey Ruth is a great card!

bobbyw8469
12-09-2010, 04:05 PM
When I make a fair offer, I always getting the email justifying why their card is double, sometimes triple the fair market value. I guess I am just too stupid to understand the rarity of their particular copy compared to similar copies......