PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you see a trimmed card for sale?

BradleySupplies
11-30-2010, 10:57 AM
I do not really collect cards anymore and play more in the memorabilia space, but I was at a local cardshow a few weeks ago and noticed a dealer with a few Robin Yount 1975 mini's (Yount was my favorite player growing up and I always liked his RC). They were in really great condition - extremely sharp corners...but too sharp. He had about 4 of them and I immediately noticed when comparing them side by side that the ones with the sharp corners must have been trimmed as they were slightly smaller. I didn't say anything at the time and put them down and walked away...but I still think if I should have said something to the dealer?

Joel

Leon
11-30-2010, 01:34 PM
I do not really collect cards anymore and play more in the memorabilia space, but I was at a local cardshow a few weeks ago and noticed a dealer with a few Robin Yount 1975 mini's (Yount was my favorite player growing up and I always liked his RC). They were in really great condition - extremely sharp corners...but too sharp. He had about 4 of them and I immediately noticed when comparing them side by side that the ones with the sharp corners must have been trimmed as they were slightly smaller. I didn't say anything at the time and put them down and walked away...but I still think if I should have said something to the dealer?

Joel

It's a crap shoot. Some dealers will actually do something, like take the cards off the market, and others won't believe you. I tell them but don't make it a major issue. I usually explain I have some experience and tell them why I think the way I do.... That way they can do whatever they want to and I have done my part.

BradleySupplies
11-30-2010, 01:37 PM
In my case, the guy had 4 or 5 mini's (all Robin Yount's) in the same case - I had them in my hands and lined them up and could tell they were different sizes, with the 'mint' looking ones being the smallest...

dstraate
11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Who knows your cards better than you? Nobody. If you could determine they were clips in 5 minutes, he certainly had to notice and most likely chose to sell them anyway.

You could mention it, but who knows if it would change his decision to sell them as unaltered. I understand honest mistakes occur. I'd appreciate somebody who told me I had a trimmed card. It'd be nice to know. If somebody gets defensive, that will speak volumes.

Used to be an easier hobby when I just bought packs...

vintagetoppsguy
11-30-2010, 03:42 PM
If you're absolutely sure, then I think you should say something. However, I can tell you that I've busted several '75 mini wax packs and there are definitely size variations - even within the same pack.

canjond
11-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Dave - funny I was going to say the same thing. I recall '75 minis having size variations, too.

mintacular
11-30-2010, 09:49 PM
You should've said "How much for the TRIMMED Yount's?" and see what kind of reaction you got :) Could've been a memorable interaction.

In all seriousness, if you feel that a dealer is selling fake or trimmed cards I think you have an obligation to make your opinion known and hopefully have the cards removed for sale at regular price to save them from being sold to a less knowledeable collector...

I recently saw a man at a flea market selling fake Jordan's and I asked "How much for the Jordan RC?" and he honestly answered "Actually they are reprints..." and I respected him for not trying to lie about them. As a matter of fact, I went on to explain to him how they were counterfeit and not reprints and the subtle distinction between both...

BradleySupplies
12-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Dave - funny I was going to say the same thing. I recall '75 minis having size variations, too.

Interesting - so maybe they weren't trimmed...

Chris Counts
12-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Since I don't mind trimmed cards, I actually look for them at discounted prices. I'd rather buy a trimmed card than a VG card at the same price. I've found quite a few of them on Ebay listed as unslabbed high grade cards. If it's obvious, which it often is, and I'm interested in the card, I send the seller an email informing him that his card is clearly trimmed and I ask him if he will sell it at a lower price. I've picked up some very nice cards this way. Some sellers, usually the more prominent ones, don't respond to my emails, but they ALWAYS take the cards off Ebay very quickly. This makes me believe that at least several high profile dealers know they're selling trimmed cards. There's one big dealer who has sold a ton of trimmed cards over the years, but he offers everything in his store at very fair prices, so I don't complain. But I view trimmed cards differently than most collectors ...

hunterdutchess
12-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Since I don't mind trimmed cards, I actually look for them at discounted prices. I'd rather buy a trimmed card than a VG card at the same price. I've found quite a few of them on Ebay listed as unslabbed high grade cards. If it's obvious, which it often is, and I'm interested in the card, I send the seller an email informing him that his card is clearly trimmed and I ask him if he will sell it at a lower price. I've picked up some very nice cards this way. Some sellers, usually the more prominent ones, don't respond to my emails, but they ALWAYS take the cards off Ebay very quickly. This makes me believe that at least several high profile dealers know they're selling trimmed cards. There's one big dealer who has sold a ton of trimmed cards over the years, but he offers everything in his store at very fair prices, so I don't complain. But I view trimmed cards differently than most collectors ...

I with you. If I can get NM-MT looking high end cards for a fraction of there NM+ value because they have been trimmed then I will pick them up. I would rather have a mint looking trimmed card then a beat up one that sells for the same price. I just bought a NM-MT looking 54 Bowman Mantle for less than $200:
http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=410114&Lot_No=44014

When a NM one would cost $1,300+:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1954-BOWMAN-65-MICKEY-MANTLE-PSA-7-HOF-/300498473398?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item45f71ad1b6#ht_2837wt_1139

And If I wanted a number graded Mantle for less than $200 I would have to settle for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1954-Bowman-65-Mickey-Mantle-PSA-1-/290501676609?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item43a33fce41#ht_500wt_1156

mintacular
12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
That's interesting to think about this topic and to realize that some collectors are ok with owning a trimmed card. I guess on one level I can understand that if it has eye appeal then so be it...but it's not for me.

That said, couldn't you say the same thing about a really good reprint and therefore buy those for the fraction of the price of the real thing? So I would rather own the original than an altered or reprint version of it. Just my opinion, people can like what they like.

(Note: My opinion is a bit different too with pre-war stuff when people altered cards so they can put them in their scrapbook, etc.--so the motive of the alteration is a small factor for me)

steve B
12-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't mind them all that much on prewar cards, as long as it's at a trimmed price. Postwar stuff I have a few, bought as a lot a long time ago and never bothered upgrading but they're all also in poor condition. None of them would come close to passing as a 2 let alone an 8 or 9.

Steve B