PDA

View Full Version : Newby question for a sort of newby...

53Browns
11-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi all, I have been on the board for almost a year now and have been able to decipher some of the lingo, ie: PM, IMO, REA, BST, etc. But there is one term I havent been able to figure out and have felt stupid asking until now. But I just have to.

What does it mean when someone says, "bump" or "price bump"?

In advance, thanks for the clairfication!

~Bill

Matt
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi all, I have been on the board for almost a year now and have been able to decipher some of the lingo, ie: PM, IMO, REA, BST, etc. But there is one term I havent been able to figure out and have felt stupid asking until now. But I just have to.

What does it mean when someone says, "bump" or "price bump"?

In advance, thanks for the clairfication!

~Bill

A "bump" is the act of adding a post to a thread in order to bring it back to the top of the page.

A "Price drop" is when the price on a sale item has been lowered. Usually this is accompanied by a post declaring the price drop, thus doubling as a bump as well.

brianp-beme
11-29-2010, 03:41 PM
A Newbie question from a long-time collector...what does TPG stand for? I know it indicates grading companies, but what does the acronym actually abbreviate? If I pursued slabbed cards I imagine I would know, but please enlighten a dullard.

Brian

Kawika
11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Third Party Guesstimator

Woundedduck
11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
bump is indeed adding a post to bring a thread to the top of the forum again, but I believe bump literally translates to: Bring Up My Post. At least that's what I was told.

ethicsprof
11-30-2010, 12:26 AM
I would also suggest that you contact Kawika anytime you need help with
any hobby jargon, or any jargon for that matter.
A remarkable vocabulary and pretty good at the ole neologisms as well.

welcome aboard.
best,
barry

53Browns
11-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks everyone!