PDA

View Full Version : More eBay משוגעת

Kawika
11-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Authentic 1928 World Series baseball, complete with horsehide covering, signed by Joltin' Joe Steappizze, Lefty Jomly and others. One million smackers.
http://tinyurl.com/2bpguon

barrysloate
11-29-2010, 04:18 AM
How did you type the Hebrew? It translates to Mishegas(sp), which means more craziness, more troubles (loose translation).

And it's signed by my all-time favorite ballplayer, Qual Hilddvpoad.

RichardSimon
11-29-2010, 06:22 AM
This one might get the Academy Award for stupidest ad ever on ebay.
And someone in the family caught this "Official League" ball at the World Series too.
:p;):):o:D:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Matt
11-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Yasher Koach.
"Qual Hilddvpoad" just triggered an eBay search alert for me. I've been running that search for years and this is the first time it bore fruit.

GKreindler
11-29-2010, 06:32 AM
:D

D. Bergin
11-29-2010, 06:38 AM
I'd be impressed if there was a Joe Shlabotnik on that ball.

Leon
11-29-2010, 07:01 AM
I am still stuck on the Hebrew typing. That's pretty cool. What were we talking about now?

bigtrain
11-29-2010, 08:35 AM
I especially like that it has been kept in its plastic covering since before plastic ball holders were invented. Also great foresight in that they got 13 year old Joe D's autograph on the ball in 1928.

Fuddjcal
11-29-2010, 08:47 AM
I'd be impressed if there was a Joe Shlabotnik on that ball.

Maybe you can find Shlabotnik on this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Autographed-Baseball-Yogi-Berra-and-Mickey-Mantle-/110617935227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c157bd7b

$300,000.00 seems steep but...

"I wanted to put this one on here to see how much someone would be willing to pay for it...if it is high enough then I will consider selling"

It's the Holiday Season and the "Schmucks" are in top form.:D

Lechaim

Kawika
11-29-2010, 02:12 PM
How did I type the Hebrew? Simply a cut-and-paste of text from a wikipedia entry. No special tools required.
Qual Hilddvpoad, the Ol' Hoosier Hotshot, put up some great numbers in 1928. Won 37 games, never gave up a single hit. Blew out his arm in the Crash of '29 and was back in Kokomo pumping gas by 1930. Jodi Birkholm interviewed Qual shortly before he passed away in 1987. Told Jodi that he'd had a better year in '28 than both Ruth and Hoover but only got fifty bucks a week. He is enshrined in the Norwegian Baseball Hall of Fame.

barrysloate
11-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Of course he means Oral Hildebrand...but this guy couldn't buy a clue.

Kawika
11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Of course he means Oral Hildebrand...but this guy couldn't buy a clue.
I always wonder what motivates the authors of these ultra-preposterous eBay auctions. It can't be greed because no one with more than one brain cell would pony up big money after such a patently bizarre sales pitch. The guy is either a whack-job or was eleven sheets to the wind when he drafted his listing.

RichardSimon
11-29-2010, 03:33 PM
What I find scary is that these people can vote and drive a car and raise a child. NOW that is scary.

Jim VB
11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
What I find scary is that these people can vote and drive a car and raise a child. NOW that is scary.

Richard,

In every one of our 50 states, they test you before they let you drive a car. However the barriers to entry are non-existent when it come to voting and child bearing. And it shows.

quinnsryche
11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Lard Jusberg!!! OMG I said it out loud and practically had a heart attack I laughed so hard. Sounds like a name from Spongebob Squarepants:D:D:D

yanksfan09
11-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I just emailed him a question:

"Hello my friend, I was curious do you know the statistical analisists of the baseball stats of Joe Steappizze, Qual Hilddvpoad, and Lard Jusbergs? ?I think they were very were good players, Stats please first then I bidding, thanks"

I'll let you know if he responds....

RobertGT
11-30-2010, 08:23 AM
WTB:

Any Lard Jusberg Dual Auto Patch card, #d 1/1.

Paying $750,000.

perezfan
11-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Can somebody possibly provide a phonetic pronunciation for the Hebrew word in the title? Though (by definition) it's the perfect word for the situation, I have no idea how to pronounce it.

Would love to use that word in conversation every now and then, so hopefully someone here will come through... Thanx!

barrysloate
11-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Closest I can give you is Mish-shoo-gahs (gahs rhymes with Haas).

Jim VB
11-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Can somebody possibly provide a phonetic pronunciation for the Hebrew word in the title? Though (by definition) it's the perfect word for the situation, I have no idea how to pronounce it.

Would love to use that word in conversation every now and then, so hopefully someone here will come through... Thanx!

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-yiddish-handbook-40-words-you-should-know/

I am certainly NOT the expert on pronunciation, but I always thought is was:

MI - shay - gus.

I bow to Barry in this matter.

Matt
11-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Closest I can give you is Mish-shoo-gahs (gahs rhymes with Haas).

There are two closely related words here. One roughly translates to craziness and is pronounced MISH-eh-gahs. The other refers to those (plural) perpetrating the craziness, and is pronounced Mish-UH-gahs. The latter is actually slang short-hand for MISH-uh-geh-nah(s) which I believe is the more grammatically correct (if there is such a thing in Yiddish) reference to the people instead of the behavior.

perezfan
11-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Very helpful... never would have guessed that's how it looks in writing...

Thanks, all!

barrysloate
11-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Matt- that is pretty much on target. The funny thing about Yiddish words and expressions is that they are often difficult to translate into English. When I was a child my mother and grandmother spoke Yiddish around the house, and I generally knew what they were talking about. But I was unable to really translate any of the words. I only understood them within the context of what they were saying (if that makes any sense).

FUBAR
11-30-2010, 02:37 PM
not only that , but the page numbers are backwards on the heading page...

and not one Seinfeld reference to be seen, i am impressed!

Yada Yada Cards...

Matt
11-30-2010, 03:19 PM
The funny thing about Yiddish words and expressions is that they are often difficult to translate into English. When I was a child my mother and grandmother spoke Yiddish around the house, and I generally knew what they were talking about. But I was unable to really translate any of the words. I only understood them within the context of what they were saying (if that makes any sense).

Yiddish is the paradigm example of "it loses something in the translation." Sometimes, it loses everything.

Anthony S.
11-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Qual Hilddvpoad homered twice off Beowulf in 863 AD.