PDA

View Full Version : OT, Moving to Baltimore in a few days.

Ladder7
11-28-2010, 01:20 PM
My son, not I. Not enough palm trees!

After two years abroad, Mike's on his way south to begin a new career. He's got one friend nearby and a couple of others who live in DC. Otherwise, he's on his own.

We've never been in Baltimore, only through it a hundred times. Mike's found a small flat in the Mt Vernon section of the city, on Calvert Ave I believe. He's about ten blocks from the Inner Harbor on the north side. He decided on living without wheels, as parking can be a bitch.

He'll be close to Penn Station. Also, he's registered with ZipCar. I'd like to pick him up a bike at least (and Kryptonite lock).

Mike's also lived in Brooklyn and Manhattan for a couple of years and downtown Savannah for a couple as well, which sounds better than it really is :). So he's street savvy.

One big bene, It'll be a lot easier for us to go to a Sox game. Any getting-around advice from the Maryland contingent would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

jboosted92
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
My son, not I. Not enough palm trees!

After two years abroad, Mike's on his way south to begin a new career. He's got one friend nearby and a couple of others who live in DC. Otherwise, he's on his own.

We've never been in Baltimore, only through it a hundred times. Mike's found a small flat in the Mt Vernon section of the city, on Calvert Ave I believe. He's about ten blocks from the Inner Harbor on the north side. He decided on living without wheels, as parking can be a bitch.

He'll be close to Penn Station. Also, he's registered with ZipCar. I'd like to pick him up a bike at least (and Kryptonite lock).

Mike's also lived in Brooklyn and Manhattan for a couple of years and downtown Savannah for a couple as well, which sounds better than it really is :). So he's street savvy.

One big bene, It'll be a lot easier for us to go to a Sox game. Any getting-around advice from the Maryland contingent would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Hi. I live in MD, i never lived "in" baltimore, but as someone that is not from MD, i can say, living IN Baltimore in your 20s, should be a blast, good time. Baltimore has the "light rail" train, that goes all over the city, as well as suburb parts. ZipCar is a smart thing, as getting out of B-more for a non-city atmosphere, (Annapolis, DC/Virginia burbs, eastern shore) destinations...

B-more can be a rough city just like any other. The "bad" areas are visualy easy to identify, as well as the good ones. But in the end, its a city, just like the others. Im from Mass/CT originally, and the Boston/Springfield/Hartford/Providence cities, you have a bit more "leeway" with certain areas...but B-more is a bit more "tough"