PDA

View Full Version : T206 plank - Need advice -Fake real?

jdubbs10
11-24-2010, 03:15 PM
just like the title says. I have not seen the card in person yet, but will real soon. I would like all you T206 experts to weigh in here. The guy is selling me a stack of 40 or so common t206s and has this one. it is glued in a yearbook. thanks for any help.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/jdubbs10/3n63k23l25U65R15S4abhf328ab4ac7c81684.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/jdubbs10/3m33pb3l65O25Q65X5abhe728543f5dc91481.jpg

teetwoohsix
11-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi Josh- I'm no expert, so please don't go off of my opinion, but if that's a fake, then the scammers are getting good !! It seems to have some of the things I look for in a real T206.....black line around frame, the type seems about right (from what I can see),,,,,but there are some things that appear to be odd- the card seems oddly faded? And the wear on the card is strange?

Anyhow, any idea of what might be on the back of the card (besides glue:D)?

Sincerely, Clayton

Edit to say.......something about the creases seem off........like the ink rubs off? Maybe it's my screen.

jdubbs10
11-24-2010, 03:45 PM
clayton thanks for the response. Im not sure what is on the back but i plan on holding up up to the light to see if i can see what is on the back. From what i have read, the plank should have a SC back? If anyone else can shed light on this that would help.thanks

36GoudeyMan
11-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Can you get the card, but make its final sale subject to authentication by a TPG? If they won't let you do that, screw them... but if they will, maybe you've got a real find. Or do they not know exactly what the Plank card is in terms of value?

Baseball Rarities
11-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Does not look good to me.

His name and team should be in brown lettering at the bottom. Looks black in your scan.

fkw
11-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Fake

The caption (Amer.) should extend father to the right past the "A" on uniform.

With creases like that there should be some chipping within the creases. The authentic T206 cards the top layer is a thin brittle paint like ink and will chip and flake rather than bend.

also the overall color is washed out and the caption looks to be the wrong color, and the black border line is missing or erased in spots, especially lower right side.

Its really not a good fake at all when you compare it to an autnetic Plank

ullmandds
I am inclined to say fake as well...borders seem too white as compared to the rest of the card...borders very irregular...color doesn't seem right...I'd bet the farm it's phony!

teetwoohsix
Does not look good to me.

His name and team should be in brown lettering at the bottom. Looks black in your scan.

Kevin is right, if it's black lettering it is no good (I can't tell from the picture)

Also, the advice of having a TPG authenticate it was great advice.

Clayton

fkw
11-24-2010, 04:06 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/junkforumimages/websize/plank5.jpg

tinkertoeverstochance
11-24-2010, 04:07 PM
My first thought was no good due to the odd colors and slightly off type.....good luck with whatever you choose on it!

barrysloate
11-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Absolutely bad.

teetwoohsix
11-24-2010, 04:12 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/junkforumimages/websize/plank5.jpg

Thanks for providing the scan Frank-that about sums it up :D

Clayton

E93
11-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Fake, for all the reasons mentioned above.
Jim

egbeachley
11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
The lowest part of the uniform "A" is right above the right part of the 'M' in Amer in the real one. Moved over on the fake.

So now lets get the real story on how the seller conveniently has this in a lot of 40 and almost got a nice sale. Craigslist?

canjond
11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Fake - the card stock is noticeably off as well.

jdubbs10
11-24-2010, 04:42 PM
yes this is on craigslist. I too am very skeptical about it. Thanks everyone for your imput. I will look at this card in person when i look at the other 40 but most likely will pass on it.

The lowest part of the uniform "A" is right above the right part of the 'M' in Amer in the real one. Moved over on the fake.

So now lets get the real story on how the seller conveniently has this in a lot of 40 and almost got a nice sale. Craigslist?

Jaybird
11-24-2010, 06:18 PM
The other 40 aren't going to be real either. My guess is red letter Piedmont or some similar reprints.

Another thing is that he pasted this in an old book, but when cards were pasted in books (for real), they were usually done before they were beat to hell and the book ends up preserving them to a better degree. So, when you see beat to hell cards pasted in books, it raises a red flag.

Good luck to you. Hopefully you have held enough T206s in your hands to spot fakes easily enough. If not, you might not want to take the trip out there. 99% of the guys selling T206 on craigslist are fakes.

I say 99% but I really mean 100% ;)

vintagecpa
11-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm no expert either, but if the overall opinion is "fake", it might not be a bad idea to post some scans of some of the commons and get an opinion of those.

jdubbs10
11-24-2010, 08:45 PM
The other 40 aren't going to be real either. My guess is red letter Piedmont or some similar reprints.

Another thing is that he pasted this in an old book, but when cards were pasted in books (for real), they were usually done before they were beat to hell and the book ends up preserving them to a better degree. So, when you see beat to hell cards pasted in books, it raises a red flag.

Good luck to you. Hopefully you have held enough T206s in your hands to spot fakes easily enough. If not, you might not want to take the trip out there. 99% of the guys selling T206 on craigslist are fakes.

I say 99% but I really mean 100% ;)

Yea i have held plenty over the years. Was just unsure about the plank. but again thanks for all the help

ethicsprof
11-24-2010, 09:16 PM
i'm late as usual but have to say a resounding FAKE and add covetously that Frank's Plank is gorgeously real!!!

best,
barry

fkw
11-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Not mine Barry, I wish :)

(its the 1st card on google images)

glynparson
11-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Run away from that card.

FrankWakefield
11-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I agree with most of what's above. If you remain interested in that card, take a black light with you. I think the card will fluoresce, and that it is a reprint. I think it's glued into that book so you can't see the back. And the caption is off. Here's my Plank reprint, and the caption on the Plank in the book is consistent with the caption on the reprint. The card is not authentic.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/greatwake/Plankreprint.jpg
Plank reprint, with a blue ink American Beauty 350 framed back.