PDA

View Full Version : 14 1909 Boston Herald Supplements & Hebron Academy Maine

smokelessjoe
11-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Picked up these Boston Herald Supplements (14 in all) in a scrapbook. I cannot find a whole lot of info out there on these... Curious on how common they are? Totally clueless on value, especially when they are glued in a scrapbook. Some are glued just along the top edge and some are glued entirely. Would love to here some input. Some pictures of the 1908 Hebron Academy football & Baseball teams as well.

Not sure what the "Old Glory" is, but thought it was cool! It has more of a silver or metallic look than the picture shows.

smokelessjoe
11-19-2010, 08:28 AM
More to follow...

smokelessjoe
11-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Some More>..

smokelessjoe
11-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Last one!

aelefson
11-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi-
I think the team photos came out of a yearbook. I say this because I recently dismantled a scrapbook of similar vintage and while most of my team photos were blank backed, some were not, yet all were printed on the same glossy stock (similar to yours it appears).
In terms of the supplements, They are blank backed anyway so if they can be cut out of the book they should still have some value (maybe 20.00 per common?) even with the paper on the back. If they are back to back, perhaps someone can frame them in a two sided frame. I do not believe these can be soaked, but I am not sure. Very cool scrapbook regardless!
Alan

smokelessjoe
11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks Alan,
I am sure you are correct about the team photos coming from a year book... I have also seen these glossy images cut from college calendars.

The Scrapbook belonged to a Henry Teague. I believe he was a professor at Hebron Academy.

Here is a list of the players pictured above:

Tris Speaker
Bill Carrigan
Ed Cicotte
Tom Tuckey
Charlie Chech
Chick Autry
Jake Stahl
Peaches Graham
Jack Coffey
Harry Niles
Ambrose McConnell
Ginger Beaumont
Beals Becker
Al Mattern

birdman42
11-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Shawn,

These are listed in OC: http://www.oldcardboard.com/m/boston-herald/bhs.asp?cardsetID=1171

Bill

Woundedduck
11-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Very cool item. Let me know if you get a value for the whole book if selling or you take it apart I'd love a shot at the cicotte

bcbgcbrcb
11-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Very nice scrapbook and a cool piece to leave intact IMHO. The Boston Heralds are fairly tough to come by but there isn't a huge collector base after them either so the Hooper, Speaker would probably be in the $100 range and the others in the $25 - $50 depending on their star status.

Michael Peich
11-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi, Shawn,

This is a nice acquisition--congratulations!

These supplements were included in the Sunday Herald as a two part, single folded piece depicting Boston Red Sox and Braves players by position, or as the designation noted, players from the Boston Americans and the Boston Nationals. For example, centre field (the Herald's spelling) is represented by Tris Speaker (Boston Americans) and Ginger Beaumont (Boston Nationals).

The supplements are not commonly found in their original, folded version since, like the owner of yours did, many kids/collectors would cut them in half and mount/depict a single player. You can check Old Cardboard for a summary of the set, but I'm not certain where there would be a list of the paired photos. From your list I do know that Autrey and Stahl were paired as first basemen (I have these two), but the rest would be fairly easy to figure out.

Regarding price, I have picked up a few (including pairs) at $50-60 a pair. You have several players I don't own, and I'd be interested in those if you're going to sell.

In the meantime, enjoy them--I've always found these fascinating.

Cheers, Mike

smokelessjoe
11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the input everyone... One question: Has anyone ever found an entire newspaper with the supplement inside????

cdn_collector
11-19-2010, 04:23 PM
No idea on the value, but I second the notion of leaving those in the scrap book. Very cool looking album to have those supplements in.

Regards,

Richard.

sox1903wschamp
11-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the input everyone... One question: Has anyone ever found an entire newspaper with the supplement inside????

Not that I know of, but that would be cool. Hard enough finding a two part intact. I think Rhett has or had one on his website. I also vote to keep the scrapebook intact. Someone took the care to put it together and it's a part of history.

asphaltman
11-19-2010, 08:04 PM

I would think not only would it be hard enough just to find an entire Boston paper from that period, but to find one with the basball supplement would be even harder. I'm just guessing, but would think they probably had one player each week they put out....and that may have just been on a Sunday, etc...who knows. Which would mean even if you could find an entire intact paper from then that came out on Wednesday you'd be out of luck depending on how they distributed them if it was just once a week, or maybe that did them all randomly over a single month...too many possibilities.

rhettyeakley
11-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Each issue had a Brave and a Red Sox player in combination. Here is pair #5--Bill Dahlen (Boston NL) & Heinie Wagner (Boston AL). they are really tough to find in their original paired state...
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/09bostonherald5.JPG

asphaltman
11-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Great info Rhett.