PDA

View Full Version : Aaron RC Scam?

mintacular
11-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Is it me or is this auction a scam? http://cgi.ebay.com/Henry-Hank-Aaron-Topps-Baseball-Card-1954-Rookie-PSA-6-/270660622474?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3f04a1588a

Card looks like a reprint and the back of the PSA card does not look like a legit PSA holder...What do you think?

jb217676
11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
I agree, something is not right with that holder. If you look at the corners of the card, there is space around each corner in the slab (like there would be in a SGC holder). PSA uses these kinds of slabs for modern game used cards, never seen them used for regular vintage cards. Type looks a little funny on the flip also. I wonder if this slab previously had another card in it?

fkw
11-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Dont look at the holder, look at the card, thats what you are buying.

This card is NOT authentic and can easily be seen by comparing the dark colors and comparing them to the light colors. On this card the shadows under his hat are too dark, and especially along the hairline where the shadows meet it. Another very easy place to look is in the face of the small action shot of Aaron, on these fakes the detail is non existant and his face is one black blob.

Google an image and compare, youd be surprised how easy these are to spot.

jb217676
11-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Bad card, bad flip and wrong type of holder and still bid up to almost a grand. I'm not that familiar with what to look for in a fake Aaron RC (now I am, thanks Frank!) but I would have questioned that card just from the type of holder it's in.

mintacular
11-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Frank and others, you are absolutely right that card grading has made some people stupid and too reliant on other opinions rather than using their own common sense. It reminds me of people who rely on GPS but don't know how to read a map.

Anyway, my first "red flag" was the color looked off/too dark, I only mentioned the back of the holder to further confirm my suspicion andwonder aloud how this card got a PSA flip/how this scam works.

It looks like the card may have been shilled as well...Anyway, I'm going to try and report this item.

bobbyw8469
11-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Thank heavans the card didn't mean the reserve. He should have taken the $900!

mintacular
11-15-2010, 11:49 AM
It's a "she" and she told me "ok, need to check with another expert because my one expert tells me it's real". Plus, I reported to eBay, hopefully she doesn't offer second best buyer offer...Amazes me how many foolish people bid the card up in the first place...

hunterdutchess
11-16-2010, 12:01 PM
That is a GMA holder and they sell there slabs to the public. I bet she glued it together because a welder cost over $5,000+

dstraate
11-19-2010, 10:04 AM
That's some damn fine detective work. Everything looked good to me, I figured she wouldn't have bothered to post 8 pics if she was selling fugazis.

I looked at that listing and thought everything was good.