PDA

View Full Version : OT: A Great Evening for Baseball

Brian Van Horn
11-13-2010, 09:35 PM
At the Byham Theater in Pittsburgh this evening was the premiere of the Crosby kinescope of game seven of the 1960 World Series.

Although Bill Mazeroski could not attend because of a bout with kidney stones (he is in a local hospital), several former Pirates and World Series MVP Bobby Richardson of the Yankees were on hand for the presentation. Bob Costas was master of ceremonies and was very entertaining with a wry sense of humor. It was good to see former Pirates Joe Christopher, ElRoy Face, Bob Friend, Vern Law, Bob Oldis and Hal Smith, who received a standing ovation following the showing of his eight inning three run homerun. It was good to see and here Vera Clemente speak about her husband and his devotion to Pittsburgh.

On stage were Bill Virdon, Richardson and Dick Groat sitting next to Costas.

Celebrities also included Michael Keaton, who reminisced about his memories of getting off the school bus and being told by his brother the Pirates won the World Series. He also spoke of the "artistry" of Roberto Clemente as a player.

Franco Harris and John Wehner were also at the event and I was happy to see fellow collector Bill Zimpleman at the showing.

MLB Network did a wonderful job and Bobby Richardson was simply a class act offering his memories and perspective from the opposition's viewpoint.

The film was fantastic and was in black and white. There were breaks after the third, sixth, eighth and top of the ninth with player recollections interspersed with questions from Costas.

My thanks to MLB Network and everyone involved in putting on the production.

John V
11-14-2010, 05:14 AM
Is the event scheduled to shown on the MLB Network?

Brian Van Horn
11-14-2010, 06:48 AM
John,

Yes, the event will be shown on MLB network the evening of December 15.
Also, there will be a second showing at the Byham two days before the MLB broadcast on December 13.

Anthony S.
11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
If anyone feels like taking the Yankees, I'm giving odds.

Rickyy
11-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Nice I love watching old baseball games esp during the cold winter months!

birdman42
11-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Nice I love watching old baseball games esp during the cold winter months!

Yep, even when you know the outcome. This morning I watched the network tape of Gibson's HR (see that thread) and my heart was pounding during the whole at-bat.

Bill