PDA

View Full Version : Mile High Card Co Auction Extended to November 26th

Leon
11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
I am posting this for Mile High Card Co as they have a situation they are addressing with their current auction. They are also our newest advertiser so please welcome them as a Net54baseball.com supporter. It is appreciated very much...regards (leon)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear fellow hobbyists,
As you probably are aware, Mile High Card Company is currently conducting its Fall 2010 auction, which has been live for bidding since Monday, November 1 and is scheduled to culminate on Thursday, November 18. With these dates in mind, we scheduled our catalogs to ship directly from the printer, via USPS, on Friday, October 29, with estimated delivery times ranging from 2-9 days. We have confirmed that the catalogs were indeed delivered to the Postal Service processing station on that date. However, it has come to our attention that as of today, Wednesday, November 10, a great number of our bidders have yet to receive the catalog, and the delivery pattern we have seen from those who have received it can be described as sporadic, at best. For this reason, we have elected to extend the auction for an additional eight days, in order to allow the delivery process to be completed. The auction will now culminate on Friday, November 26, with initial bids needing to be placed by 9:00 PM EST, at which time the auction will enter the extended bidding period with the 15-minute rule in effect. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but given the fact that circumstances beyond our control have become what they are, we feel that this extension is in the best interest of everyone involved and is the best possible way to remedy the situation. Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation in this matter, and enjoy the Fall 2010 premier auction.
Sincerely,
Mile High Card Company

Peter_Spaeth
11-10-2010, 02:00 PM
The day after Thanksgiving would not seem the optimal day for ending an auction?

Matt
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
The day after Thanksgiving would not seem the optimal day for ending an auction?

Agreed. My understanding is 99% of folks will have the catalog by tomorrow. Is a week not enough time to look through the catalog and keep the original ending time? I wonder if this has anything to do with the original ending time being the same as Legendary's current offering...

E93
11-10-2010, 02:26 PM

Actually, a day most people have off seems like a good day to me.
JimB

Peter_Spaeth
11-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Actually, a day most people have off seems like a good day to me.
JimB

And many people are travelling, or entertaining out of town family and friends.

glchen
11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm still waiting for my catalog (in CA). I think the original ending time was 2 days
after Legendary, so there was no clash there. I'm still not sure if ending the auction on Black Friday is a stroke of genius or a bad idea. I, for one, am planning on hitting the stores early, so will probably be exhausted by the end of the day. Most collectors probably aren't like me, however.

btcarfagno
11-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I am posting this on an internet message board....wondering why paper catalogs are even necessary anymore. I mean, there is more information on the internet version of the catalogs anyway. Are there really that many people who will be bidding strictly from paper catalog photos and descriptions? I may be new to getting back into the hobby, but this just seems like there might be something else to it...

Just my .02.

Tom C

sb1
11-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I've had a catalogue for over a week,(haven't even bothered to open it). No one in this day and age needs a catalogue to peruse an online auction and place bids, you can see far better images online rather than in the catalogue and do searches for hidden items.

There was no need to move the closing date except for a possible lack of bids and a competing auction. If I were a consignor I would be a bit miffed on a Thanksgiving weekend closing date, and after the money has been spent in the prior auction.

Matt
11-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm still not sure if ending the auction on Black Friday is a stroke of genius or a bad idea. I, for one, am planning on hitting the stores early, so will probably be exhausted by the end of the day.

That's a great point - folks getting up at 5 AM are not going to be staying up late with this one...

Jim VB
11-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I am posting this on an internet message board....wondering why paper catalogs are even necessary anymore. I mean, there is more information on the internet version of the catalogs anyway. Are there really that many people who will be bidding strictly from paper catalog photos and descriptions? I may be new to getting back into the hobby, but this just seems like there might be something else to it...

Just my .02.

Tom C

Tom,

That question has been posed here before. I recall one former board member opining on the importance of his being able to peruse the auctions while sitting on the can. Of course, this was before the invention of the iPad.

Sometimes I miss Crandall. (Sometimes.)

Rob D.
11-10-2010, 06:19 PM
There have been countless times when I have looked at an auction online, done my usual searches and placed my bids. Then the catalog arrives, and after looking through it I find a few more items I'm also interested in. I think having a catalog is valuable for both buyers and sellers.

Regarding the end date for Mile High, I'm not sure what advantage it is that many people have that day off. If the auction ended at noon, I'd agree with that point. But it will end late at night, when most people aren't at work anyway. The fact that the next day is Saturday might be a plus.

Peter_Spaeth
11-10-2010, 06:30 PM
People who work the graveyard shift might have the day off too.

btkpath
11-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I guess I take a more cynical viewpoint and wonder whether it has anything to do with what I perceive to be rather anemic bidding. There are tons of lots with only 1 or 2 bids. Many of the common 1914 Cracker Jacks are presently at prices that you would associate with PSA 1, 2 or 3's......not 6, 7 and 8's. Presently it appears as if the 1914 CJ's will sell as a set, as the single cards will need to make up well over $100,000 to equal the present whole set bid of around $300,000 (which I am sure is also lower than they were hoping to sell the set for).

M's_Fan
11-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I didn't know they had a catalog. :confused:

I guess this is good news since I'm staying home for thanksgiving...

glchen
11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
There have been countless times when I have looked at an auction online, done my usual searches and placed my bids. Then the catalog arrives, and after looking through it I find a few more items I'm also interested in. I think having a catalog is valuable for both buyers and sellers.

I agree with that point about the catalog. I usually just do my usual searches for what I'm looking for online. However, then I peruse the catalog, and I often find extra stuff. For example, for a recent auction, the lot was catalogued with the title/description "The Red Sox don't know quite what they have!" Granted, it was a poor title, but the Ruth photo didn't come up under my Ruth search, and I wouldn't have seen it at all if I didn't have the catalog.

Section103
11-11-2010, 09:27 AM
I guess I take a more cynical viewpoint and wonder whether it has anything to do with what I perceive to be rather anemic bidding. There are tons of lots with only 1 or 2 bids. Many of the common 1914 Cracker Jacks are presently at prices that you would associate with PSA 1, 2 or 3's......not 6, 7 and 8's. Presently it appears as if the 1914 CJ's will sell as a set, as the single cards will need to make up well over $100,000 to equal the present whole set bid of around $300,000 (which I am sure is also lower than they were hoping to sell the set for).

I havent followed the MHCC auction at all, but that was the very first thing that crossed my mind when I received the email.

Matt
11-11-2010, 09:30 AM

I guess the question is, in this scenario, where everyone should have the catalog by today which is 1 week before initial close, is a week enough time to look through the catalog and find those things?