PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SCD

IronHorse2130
11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
I subscribed to SCD about 3 years ago and for obvious reasons the subscription was not renewed. For two years after that they kept mailing me letters asking me to subscribe again and have somehow found me at my new address (I moved 3 months ago). I called today to ask them to remove me from the mailing list as I don't like the ridiculous waste of paper and the representative said she could not find me in their database under any of my addresses. How is it that they are able to send me junk mail three times a month? Anyone have any ideas or other contact routes?

tinkereversandme
11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Do as I do when I receive that worthless offer. Tear it up in a million pieces and feel better that they spent money in sending it too you and they are perhaps just a smidge closer to folding. I always feel better about myself after that.

Larry

steve B
11-08-2010, 03:48 PM
It may technically be wrong, but....

Use the paid reply envelope taped to a box to mail them a brick or two, or a few pounds of 88 Donruss. They'll have to pay the priority postage and the mailings will stop fairly soon.

I stopped subscribing to Sporting News because of their overly agressive telematketing of renewals, the last a mere two weeks after I'd renewed. I called the main office and canceled the subscripton.

They called occasionally for another year till I told them I'd complain to the FTC about the calls(They handle the no call list) and sent letters for another 4 or 5 years.

Steve B

alanu
11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
I called today to ask them to remove me from the mailing list as I don't like the ridiculous waste of paper and the representative said she could not find me in their database under any of my addresses. How is it that they are able to send me junk mail three times a month? Anyone have any ideas or other contact routes?

They probably pay a 3rd party to solicit potential subscribers and they gave the 3rd party your name when you cancelled and the 3rd party tracked down your new address at some point.

scooter729
11-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Even within the same organization, there may be multiple mailing lists maintained by different departments. For example, I went to the same grad school as my wife, and she actually works there now, and we've both given money to the school.

Through some combination of those factors, we receive FOUR copies of each communication in the mail from the school. She works there and can't get it to stop.

bbcard1
11-08-2010, 04:21 PM
i burn wood in the winter and those make dandy fire starters.

IronHorse2130
11-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Some good suggestions :D but i hate to see the waste of paper and I also hate to think that SCD has the idea that I would ever want to spend money on their publication again.

Jewish-collector
11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Stupid question, but how in the hell are they still in business when so many other magazines with larger circulations dropped the print magazine & are only online ? :confused:

Anthony S.
11-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Have every single renewal notice you receive henceforth bronzed. After you've accumulated a couple dozen, hijack a TV station weather helicopter (or ask nicely), fly over their offices and drop the bronzed notices through their skylights. This has worked for me more than once.

D. Bergin
11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Last week we got a letter in the mail from a collection agency demanding we renew our subscription to TIME Magazine.

No, it wasn't to pay an overdue bill.....it really was for a lapsed renewal.

The oddest thing. :confused:

53Browns
11-09-2010, 05:08 AM
I know it's not the greatest but I like SCD if only for the fact of the scarcity of sport cards publications you can still hold in your hand. Personally I think magazines like Tuff Stuff and Beckett are the real rags.