PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tradecards with baseball backs

aelefson
11-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi-
I recently acquired the 1882 Tradecard scanned below and I was wondering if someone might be able to help with a few questions I have related to it. The front is a normal baseball tradecard (A Foul Bound made by Forbes CO Boston), but the back shows a ticket for admission to a game between J.D. Bernd & CO and Porter and Donaldson. A little googling shows that these companies were textile/mining companies in Pittsburgh PA. Union Park was a place where several amateur teams played in Pittsburgh in the latter half of the nineteenth century. Here are some questions I have for the board:
1. Is it common to have a ticket like this on the back of a tradecard?
2. I have seen a schedule (from 1887 I think) on the back of a baseball themed tradecard. Also, there are the Peck and Snyder cards (in a league of their own). Does anyone know of other examples? Please post any you might have. Anything baseball related is fine.
3. Has anyone seen a pro ticket on the back of a baseball themed tradecard?
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

canjond
11-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Sounds like a question for Frank Keetz.

barrysloate
11-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Alan- while trade cards were made specifically for merchants to place their ads on the back, I have to say I have never seen one with a ticket to a game on it. And I've handled hundreds of trade cards, so I'm going to say this one is scarce. Schedules, as well as Peck & Snyder ads, are somewhat common. The one you have is a first for me. Plus, it is from the "white shoes" series which is a little tougher set than most. Very nice item.

aelefson
11-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks Barry and Jon! Barry, I had no idea it might be that scarce. I did not know the white shoe set was more difficult. Do you happen to know the designation? Is it "white shoes series"? I want to see other examples from this series as I really like the way the uniform looks.
Thanks again,
Alan

barrysloate
11-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Alan- They are H804-16 and are more familiarly called the Forbes Injury Series. There are two sets with white shoes and I mixed up the titles.

aelefson
11-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks again Barry! I really appreciate the information.