PDA

View Full Version : Joe Namath -- Rams, 1977 Topps style

Bob Lemke
10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Here's my take on a card that never was . . . Joe Namath with the Rams in the format of 1977 Topps.

Details of the card's creation are up on my blog (link below).

HRBAKER
10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Bob as usual, very nice. Boy don't his stats seem pretty pedestrian by today's standards.

D. Bergin
10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Nice card again Bob.

I was always a bit perplexed about Namath's almost automatic inclusion into the HOF. I think his personality and a single Super Bowl in which he had a decent but not a great game, got him there more then anything.

Other QB's of his era which had comparable or even superior careers including Daryle Lamonica, Roman Gabriel and John Hadl are never really even mentioned for the HOF.

HRBAKER
10-29-2010, 03:35 PM
I agree but NY + 1st AFL Super Bowl win + press friendly did the trick. Like many picks for the Halls of Fame it hasn't stood the test of time well IMO.

Rob D.
11-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Another factor in regard to the Pro Football Hall of Fame is the organization's apparent goal to have every induction class be the size of Rhode Island. That adds up to a lot of inductees over the years.

Samsdaddy
12-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Nice card again Bob.

I was always a bit perplexed about Namath's almost automatic inclusion into the HOF. I think his personality and a single Super Bowl in which he had a decent but not a great game, got him there more then anything.

Other QB's of his era which had comparable or even superior careers including Daryle Lamonica, Roman Gabriel and John Hadl are never really even mentioned for the HOF.

I agree. As stated here I believe it is because he helped engineer one of the biggest wins in Pro Football history and he played in New York.

But, if he is in, then give consideration to Hadl, Lamonica, and Jack Kemp.