PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering...

mintacular
10-27-2010, 01:34 PM
if any of you guys during the rookie craze of the 1980s-modern you gave up some great vintage pre-war for some of the new shiny cards or if you know any colleagues that did so? Or conversely, were you able to pry a Ty Cobb from someone by giving up a couple Juan Gonzalez '90 UD or whomever? :) Cheers, Pat

brianp-beme
10-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Thankfully no. Better yet, I only barely diverted some hobby money that direction...we're talking less than $100 over a couple of decades.

Brian

sbfinley
10-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I can remember when I was in the fifth or sixth grade a friend of mine traded an older kid two dozen or so Grant Hill cards for a 52 Topps Mathews.

Bosox Blair
10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Not on that scale, but I made 2 bad deals (by today's prices) trading vintage to get modern. Both were a result of my desire to get rid of hockey to get baseball in return.

The first was I traded a real nice Phil Esposito RC to get a 1985 Leaf Baseball set (at a time when Clemens and Puckett were hot items). The second was I traded a sharp '60s Parkhurst Frank Mahovlich for an '84 Fleer Strawberry. Think I lost a few hundy on those two deals based on prices today.

Cheers,
Blair