PDA

View Full Version : Are cards usually packaged together on ebay?

sportscardpete
10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Is there economical sense to this? It seems like it makes less sense for the seller, especially when everything isn't listed out completely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320605825549&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

chaddurbin
10-26-2010, 07:45 PM
it's always profitable when the cards cost about 2 cents.

scooter729
10-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Yikes, those look like real bids too. Hope someone takes advantage of the refund policy, if I could read it properly through that horrible grammar...

Luke
10-26-2010, 08:06 PM
How does a seller with a rating of 398, with 100% positives, suddenly list fakes like this? You would think he would do two separate auctions if he thought they were real. So it just seems all the more fishy that he listed them in one auction.

TexasLeaguer
10-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Aside from the limited feedback and terrible pictures, what gives these away as being fakes? I usually steer clear if there is any doubt, but I'm wondering what else you guys might see. Thanks!

iggyman
10-26-2010, 08:18 PM
They are obvious fakes. The Mathewson is easy, the font used for his name is all wrong and the fake rounded corners give it away as well (corners don't usually wear in a rounded symmetrical fashion like that). The color and registration on the Young is way off, got that circa 1999 copy machine look to it.

Lovely Day...

Matthew H
10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Aside from the limited feedback and terrible pictures, what gives these away as being fakes? I usually steer clear if there is any doubt, but I'm wondering what else you guys might see. Thanks!

For starters, on the Young, the borders are more discolored than the rest of the card. They both appear to be ink-jet reprints. After seeing hundreds of these on eBay, they become easy to spot. Not even the most blurry photo could fool the regulars anymore.

sportscardpete
10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I was actually curious myself. The Cy Young scan was a little difficult to tell if it was an outright fake or not, since I am not familiar with E-90s. But look at the back of the card!! It goes from dark to white to dark. Makes no sense.

Bridwell
10-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I, too, would not bid on those two cards. I doubt they are original.

Sad for the person who bought them.

barrysloate
10-27-2010, 05:34 AM
I don't know which is worse, the cards or his sentence structure. Both are abominable.

tbob
10-27-2010, 10:59 AM
I think the buyer got hooked. o***t runs up the bids and the buyer snipes and gets two fakes. Even though it is harder and harder on ebay to see who's doing what to whom, it looks like this is the buyer's only transaction with this clown. Sad. I always wonder if innocent buyers like this slip the cards in to pocket pages and store them away or if they try to get them slabbed and find out the bitter truth. :confused:

chaddurbin
10-27-2010, 11:58 AM
someone with an ebay connection can alert CSR about the auction...$475 is a tough lesson but the worst part is the sob didn't even offer free shipping :mad:

Ladder7
10-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Sellers that [try to] sell mostly, shiny modern stuff with fabric in them scare the bejesis out of me.

Oh how I miss old ebay, when we could easily mess with these welchers.

tbob
10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
sellers that [try to] sell mostly, shiny modern stuff with fabric in them scare the bejesis out of me.

Oh how i miss old ebay, when we could easily mess with these welchers.

a big +1