PDA

View Full Version : Boston Red Sox Kail ashtray

Lou Criscione
10-25-2010, 04:58 PM
If you have a passion for figural sports memorabilia like I do, you may not be familar with the Fred Kail baseball ash trays. The figures were originally designed by Mr. Kail who later went into partnership with a company who were to produce his football and baseball statues. Unfortuately, Mr. Kail never benefited financially from this partnership. I thought you guys might be interested in seeing one of the baseball ashtrays.

In the early 60's, the company produced a number of NFL & College football statues using Kail's designs. These are often seen in auctions and Ebay, but rarely do collectors see the Major League Baseball ashtrays (see picture below). In our over 25 years in the hobby I have only seen a Boston Red Sox, Baltimore Orioles, N.Y. Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies and a Pittsburgh Pirate from the baseball series. Needless to say- they are super rae and absolutely gorgeous to look at.

For more pictures and inforamtion on Kails, please visit my web site Blog at www.insidetheparkcollectibles.com

jimm
10-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Awesome indeed, would love a Giants ashtray

perezfan
10-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Think I saw a Reds version once.... and actually thought it was offered by ITPC. I know that if one ever surfaces, it's going to garner some spirited bidding by me.

Lou, are you sure you can't add a Reds Ashtray to that list? I thought you guys had it about 5 years ago... but could easily be wrong. If anybody's seen one, I figured it had to be you (or maybe Mike Lipka)

Lou Criscione
10-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi Mark! you are absolutely right- I forgot about that one. I think we only had the statue and not the attachment tray. The statues are held on the ashtray with a wing-nut.
You guys remember my stuff better than I do (lol).

Lou