PDA

View Full Version : Ebay: Pretty High Prices on Early Hockey Auctions

Bosox Blair
10-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Was following/bidding on a few auctions that closed on Sunday - a C56 and a couple C144 (Champs) in PSA 4, 5 and 5.5 holders. Wow, these cards went WAY over the most recent sales on these cards...like around double! Cards that previously (within last year or so) went for $255 going for $450-$510.

Is this a recent trend for 2010? When I attended a card show in WA earlier this year several dealers and collectors told me vintage hockey was "hot". Even though I only had a few hockey cards with me, they were the ones I sold fairly quickly and for the best prices. Anyone have any observations on this either way?

Cheers,
Blair

mintacular
10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Just a reminder that a very large chunk or eBay auctions are shilled so that could be a possible explanation for above normal $'s...

Bosox Blair
10-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Just a reminder that a very large chunk or eBay auctions are shilled so that could be a possible explanation for above normal $'s...

I appreciate that this is a real concern, however I don't believe that a "very large chunk" of eBay auctions are shilled.

These lots were from the same seller, who posts here, so I hope not.

But since you raised the issue I reviewed the bid history on 3 of the lots. Looks like normal competitive strong bidding to me. Several bidders going at it. None of the bidders had a crazy percentage of bids placed with this seller (most 10% or less), and many bidders had high feedback scores - some higher than this dealer.

So back to the question - are these just outlier results or is early hockey "hot" in general?

Cheers,
Blair

aro13
10-29-2010, 06:36 AM
I have also noticed strong prices for vintage hockey. Particularly, PSA graded rookie cards which continue to sell for top dollar.

oriolesbb6
11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
This time of year is always hot for hockey---I know I get the bug as well and spend a little more than I should...Its hard not to get excited over another season-especially with the recent parity....As far as pricing it always seems like hockey fans have the $$$$$...Looking for a 1950s Canadiens pennant with hockey player on it...Thanks

Bosox Blair
06-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Was bidding on some of the eBay auctions by N54 member John Nguyen this past week. Huge prices for these cards!

He had a pair of Champs Cigs commons in PSA 5. They each went for $411 and $456. A few months back, another eBay seller had a bunch of these in the same grade, which sold around $170 each or less.

Of even greater interest, John sold a bunch of PSA-graded 1925 Dominion Chocolate hockey singles, including several HOFers. Many were quite nice, all with coupons still intact. Based on past VCP prices, these sales blew those away. Well over established VCP on pretty much all of them.

Maybe a lesson to sell vintage hockey during the Stanley Cup finals? :)

Cheers,
Blair

Spartan833
06-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Blair,

I have noticed it as well. I am working on the 51 Parkie set and even the commons are selling for more. 5s are selling for what 6s sold for last year. It is definitely noticeable. But, like Kyle said, the playoffs almost always bump the prices up. I usually get the lowest prices for hockey from late July thru early December.

Bill

sox1903wschamp
06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Yes, I was blown out of the water on some vintage Hockey cards in a recent large auction house auction. Prrobably several factors currently influencing the market.