PDA

View Full Version : turkey red?

esd10
10-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I had been looking at turkey red cards and it seems to me that a card that's a sgc10 and a sgc30 look to be the same condition but have different grades does anyone know why?i had pulled them up sided by side and they should be the same grades. Is the reason why is the card in question a tougher card to get in a good grade if that's the reason they should say condition sensitive. Can you ask just to have your card authenticated and not have a grade? and if so can you send in a auth and get a grade given to it?

Pup6913
10-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Yes you can request that your cards be slabbed as all Authentic if thats what you want. Yes some of those may be resubmitted and grades given due to the card actually having not been altered.

This would make a great betting poll. Send in 10 cards to SGC and PSA and have all A's given to them. Wait a few months and then resubmit them with another order. I wonder how many may stay as an Auth? Take bets on who gets the most right, or maybe a single cards grade given.

esd10
10-23-2010, 09:36 PM
great idea

glynparson
10-24-2010, 11:51 AM
If so there's your problem and why you probably cant see the differences. there are nuances to grading that are extremelly hard to determine from a scan alone. A card really needs to be in hand to give a proper assessment of grade. Also many make the mistake of going 100% on eye appeal which is just one component of grading.

Matthew H
10-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Why would you want SGC to slab your card as Authentic? Whether it says poor or authentic, it is still the same card in the slab. If you decide to sell the card in the future, then you have to explain that the card is not altered, which my not be easy to get across. I think getting the card slabbed authentic may actually slightly drop the resale value a bit.

Republicaninmass
10-24-2010, 01:48 PM
There are differences to look for, some backs are dirty or have nicks unseen in scans from the front. Also, corners might not show wear on first look, but upon more examination you can see a small fold or so forth.

Matt
10-24-2010, 02:37 PM
This would make a great betting poll. Send in 10 cards to SGC and PSA and have all A's given to them. Wait a few months and then resubmit them with another order. I wonder how many may stay as an Auth? Take bets on who gets the most right, or maybe a single cards grade given.

If the card is already in an Auth slab, they'll only move it out if they can tell 100% that it should get a numeric grade, which is particularly difficult when you don't have a head on view of the edges due to the slab.

collectbaseball
10-24-2010, 05:07 PM
I absolutely would not opt to give a card an "A" if it will grade -- the "A" typically signifies there is something wrong with it besides poor condition -- recolored, trimmed, etc. If you were ever going to sell your collection, cards graded a PSA 1 or SGC 10 would undoubtedly sell better than if they were in "A" slabs.

I think T3s are particularly difficult to grade because they are so much bigger than other tobacco issues -- any blemish is blown up 40x. It's also unfortunate that so many of the original owners liked to tack 'em up on the walls.

Bridwell
10-24-2010, 06:32 PM
SGC seems to reduce the grades quite a bit for any paper loss or even an erased pencil mark that leaves an indentation. You might not be able to detect those flaws when looking at a scan. To me, once in a while, an SGC 10 looks better than a SGC 30.

Republicaninmass
10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
The tack holes and unobtrusive mks are a great way to a get a presentable hi grade card for less money!

tbob
10-25-2010, 01:55 PM
SGC seems to reduce the grades quite a bit for any paper loss or even an erased pencil mark that leaves an indentation. You might not be able to detect those flaws when looking at a scan. To me, once in a while, an SGC 10 looks better than a SGC 30.

+1. More than once in a while.

majordanby
10-25-2010, 11:27 PM
http://majormajor.webs.com/photos/T3%20Collection/youngt3.JPG

esd10
10-30-2010, 05:24 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140470833413&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT How is this a psa4? it has very rounded corners discolering around the border. How is that young a poor it looks like a 4-5 unless back damage.

Pup6913
10-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Looks to me like it would be an SGC 50 if it crossed. The link provided shows a PSA 4 Bergen

esd10
10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
i messed up but what im saying that card from the scans does not deserve the grade it has recieved. i know they are big and a very sensitive card because of its size but come on if i where to send a t206 that looked like that it would get a 2 maybe a 3 tops. I think they should grade all cards the same. If they are giving these grades to the t3 why dont they have a different grading scale for the e107.