PDA

View Full Version : Auction Preview Timing

Matt
10-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Many of the auction houses now use software that does not make upcoming lots public until they are all in place and then they have an official "auction preview." On the other hand, Huggins & Scott & Heritage allow you to see upcoming lots as they are added to the system, before lot numbers are assigned and final proofing. I would think its in the house's best interest to let folks know of upcoming lots as early as possible so that if there is something a bidder wants badly enough he might hold off on some other purchases in anticipation. Why do most houses not do it this way?

As an aside, kudos to H&S for making their auction archives searchable.

cdonne
10-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Matt,
This is something that I've considered doing for the next auction. For me personally, this can go two ways. For example, some of the best lots in my current auction were received at the very last minute. Therefore, if I were to have started adding lots early there is a chance that potential bidders would have looked at the site and not seen anything of interest and not given it another thought. Secondly, and to your point, someone may have seen an item earlier, and kept money aside specifically for that piece and perhaps skip out on items elsewhere via eBay, other auction firms, etc. For the companies such as HA and H&S, I think it is a great idea to list items early as you said.
Chris

Matt
10-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Chris - IMO a clear indication (as H&S has) that lots are still being added would mitigate the concern you raised, but I do understand where you are coming from.

dstudeba
10-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Heritage does this also, and I have held off on purchases knowing that an item I wanted more was coming in another auction.