PDA

View Full Version : T-210 Hall of Famers?

M's_Fan
10-13-2010, 02:26 PM
What hall of famers appeared in the T-210 Old Mill set (any series) besides Stengel?

rhettyeakley
10-13-2010, 02:39 PM
None. Although you gotta mention Joe Jackson as he (obviously) has HOF statistics. Also, a T210-7 of Jim Thorpe (FB HOF) SHOULD have been made, but it is likely he may not have wanted to be included in any card sets.

ethicsprof
10-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Rhett's got it.
i found myself hurrying to list Jackson and thanks to Rhett i caught myself.
what a fantastic player.
remember 1919,Barry

best,

barry

M's_Fan
10-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Darn, I was hoping that there might be some slightly obscure HOFer in this set that wouldn't cost the ridiculous prices that the Stengel and Jackson cards fetch.

I'll guess I'll have to pick someone else from this set to collect for my type card set, one of the great non-HOFers, or someone with an interesting story. Thanks!

rhettyeakley
10-14-2010, 09:25 AM
There are some pretty cool players in the set to choose from, including (but not limited to) the following...

Lave Cross (quality player that actually has an Old Judge card)
Ivy Wingo (later would become long time Reds catcher, 1919 Reds)
Jeff Tesreau (great mid-1910's pitcher for the Giants)
Fred Toney (also became a Giants hurler)
Hank Gowdy (long time MLB player/coach)
Juan Viola (early Cuban star)
Ted Breitenstein
Eugene DeMontreville
etc.
etc.

-Also as an extension of a Hall of Famer you could get the card of Hornsby in Series 3 as that is Rogers' brother, then just tell everyone it is Rogers Hornsby (who besides us will ever know the difference:D)

FrankWakefield
10-14-2010, 10:02 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/greatwake/53StengelMaysvilleT210OldMills-1.jpg

DixieBaseball
10-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Rhett - Nice starter group of players you mentioned... There are so many more with stories that are interesting just waiting to be explored...

Gowdy hit .545 in the 1914 World Series with the only home run of the series... Here he is with Dallas as a catcher.

Also, for giggles, Everett Hornsby does have striking resemblence to Roger...

Matt
10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Darn, I was hoping that there might be some slightly obscure HOFer in this set that wouldn't cost the ridiculous prices that the Stengel and Jackson cards fetch.

IMO Stengel's card is worth what it is because he is a HOFer - if there was another HOFer in the set, it would also be fetching ridiculous prices.

Rob D.
10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Good stuff, Rhett.

FrankWakefield
10-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Everett was Rogers' older brother. Everett got him a tryout with the Dallas Steers in 1914, but Rogers was released without getting into a game. Rogers gets another chance with a class D team in Hugo, OK; and he does a bit better with that chance.