PDA

View Full Version : New Hall of Fame Election Procedures

paul
10-12-2010, 09:36 PM
If someone else has already posted about this, please delete. I'm surprised to be the first.

The Hall of Fame has announced yet another new system to replace the old Veterans Committee elections. The history of baseball is now divided into three eras: (1) Pre-1947, (2) 1947-72, and (3) 1973-present. Separate committees will be formed for each era, with one committee meeting each year. So, players in any given era will have a chance at election once every three years.

Each committee has 16 members, consisting of Hall of Famers, major league executives, veteran writers and historians. A 75% vote is still required. Each committee will be presented with a ballot selected by the Historic Overview Committee. That committtee has 11 members, all of whom appear to be veteran baseball writers.

The voting committees meet each year in person at the winter meetings. In my opinion, this opens the door for the kind of cronyism and vote trading that corrupted the process years ago and resulted in the selection of many of the least worthy HOFers. I guess we'll see how it works out this time.

triwak
10-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Strange grouping? What is the significance of 1973 as a dividing line? I believe voting separately on distinctive eras makes sense, but these seem a bit lopsided and arbitrary. I would suggest:

Players
1). 19th century (including pre-major league)
2). Pre-WWII 20th century (1945)
3). Post-WWII 20th century
4). Negro Leagues

Non-players
5). Composite (one ballot): Managers, Umpires, Executives

Vote on one of the five groups each year. IMHO.

19cbb
10-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Have to agree with Paul's opinion and with triwak's 5 groups suggestion.
We'll see what happens.

Exhibitman
10-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Maybe they were looking at 1947 card issues and Topps' decision to go to a single series in 1974 ;)

Or perhaps it is the "Elect Ron Santo" format.

bcbgcbrcb
10-13-2010, 06:54 AM
In case anyone is interested in a related topic, a new book just came out detailing the BB HOF election process from its inception until today. I don't recall the exact name but the title basically describes the contents.

By the way, I would also agree with Paul that this process will tend to bring the more "popular vote" candidates into the Hall rather than the more obscure but possibly more deserving candidates.

19cbb
10-13-2010, 07:25 AM
In case anyone is interested in a related topic, a new book just came out detailing the BB HOF election process from its inception until today. I don't recall the exact name but the title basically describes the contents.

Phil, is this the book?

Cooperstown by the Numbers: An Analysis of Baseball Hall of Fame Elections by John McConnell. McFarland -April 2010.

perezfan
10-13-2010, 09:03 AM
What about players who's career spans 2 eras? There have to be many..

How would they handle someone like Pete Rose (please put gambling references aside for now) who spanned eras #2 and #3 about equally?

Just curious :confused:

ctownboy
10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Maybe 1973 - Present because of either the Designated Hitter rule being implemented or Free Agency beginning?

David

bcbgcbrcb
10-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Jimmy:

Yes, that's the one

Gemruss
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Sounds like the eras may be bases on Jackie Robinson (integration) and the Designated Hitter?

iggyman
10-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Well then, if that is the time-line, first order of business is to put Ron Blomberg in. Did you hear, he is coming out with a cookbook...

Lovely Day...

Exhibitman
10-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Well then, if that is the time-line, first order of business is to put Ron Blomberg in. Did you hear, he is coming out with a cookbook...

Lovely Day...

is it kosher?

mr2686
10-15-2010, 03:45 PM
In my opinion, this does nothing to help the deserving players get in. As long as there are HOF members on the committees that don't seem to care, like McCovey, or that think the Hall should be closed immediately afer they got in (Gossage and Niekro) you'll never get the 75 percent needed. How about only letting ex players/writers etc on a committee if they actually played against/with or covered for the media the player in question? If there is nobody that fits that criteria, then the historians would fill the committee.