PDA

View Full Version : Was there ever a Don Thompson card?

scmavl
10-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Don mainly played for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the early 50's but didn't see alot of field time. He's best known for fielding a Mantle hit and making a great throw to Campanella for the out in the '53 World Series. Anyway, he was a customer of mine at my last job and I just found out he recently died. He was a very nice old guy, always a pleasure to talk to, and he wore his World Series ring every day (not sure from which Series).

I doubt he had a card, but I thought it never hurts to ask. Thanks guys!

ALR-bishop
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
There are no Topps cards for a Don Thompson. There was a Hank and Charlie ( besides Bobby) Thompson with Topps cards in the 50s

scmavl
10-12-2010, 02:30 PM
There are no Topps cards for a Don Thompson. There was a Hank and Charlie ( besides Bobby) Thompson with Topps cards in the 50s

Thanks. I didn't think there was a Topps, but was hoping there may be some off-brand of card. But I guess they usually just print stars.

GoldenAge50s
10-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Don Thompson has 2 cards;

1952 La Patrie #18
1990 Dodgers-Target set #798

I have no idea what/where/when the La Patrie set is about.

Further examination indicates Don spent the 1952 season w/ Montreal of the IL, so obviously LaPatrie is a Canadian issue.

In 1949 Don was traded to the Dodgers by the Boston Braves, who in return got Sam Jethroe, the NL ROY in 1950!

scmavl
10-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks, GA!!! I can't find anything on La Patrie either, and I haven't located his Target card yet, but I'm sure one will pop up on the 'bay soon.

Thanks again!

cdn_collector
10-12-2010, 08:16 PM
From the '06 SCD, "1952 La Patrie Album Sportif" features Montreal from the IL and some teams from the Class C Provincial League in Quebec. The issue is made up of 11 x 15 3/8" colorized photos printed in the 'rotogravure' section of the newspaper ["La Patrie"].

Description says that the photos have a red left and bottom trim and a vertical blue strip on the far let. Player info is printed in black and in French.

And that's everything I now know about this issue ;)

Good luck.

Richard.

toppcat
10-13-2010, 06:21 AM
I have four of the La Patrie at home-they are really nice when framed. Please send a PM to remind me and I will check to see if one is a Thompson.

POSTSCRIPT I PM'd Fred-My La Patrie is Charlie Thompson, a catcher for Montreal. If I can take some pix I will post them (in a bit, about to go away for some R&R) as these are really nice pieces. I was going to hang them in my refinished basement but we went with a NY Football Giants theme so I may look to sell or trade one or two of these eventually (not sure).