PDA

View Full Version : More shilling on eBay

rdixon1208
10-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I got a couple of second chance offers from the same seller shortly after the auctions ended. This is an automatic red flag for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270645724953&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270645715777&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

After checking the bid history I really think this guy is shilling auctions and then offering second chance offers. I checked a couple of other completed auctions from the same seller and saw more of the same. I wanted to post this to shine some light on this guy.

HRBAKER
10-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Robert,

Either that or he is the favored seller of the "0" feedback club.

frankb22
10-10-2010, 12:51 PM
That looks pretty obvious.

Would you buy from a seller on a second chance
that went that route?. I don't think I would.

rdixon1208
10-10-2010, 12:55 PM
No...I'm not going to buy those cards, and I won't bid on any more of his auctions.

GoldenAge50s
10-10-2010, 12:59 PM
It's very possible the "0" FB seller is a newbie who didn't follow thru---He seemed to bid on the T206's but not on the other '50's vintage I cked out.

Usually a shill will bid on the whole selection from the seller, but on the surface it sure looks like a shill..

Peter_Spaeth
10-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Uh -- these cards sold for approximately $15. And we suspect shill bidding?

Jaybird
10-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I've got 6 t206 cards on ebay and some 0 feedback buyer bid on all of the lots. For some reason, you can't block 0 feedback buyers, only buyers with -1 or lower!

I don't know why someone with 0 feedback would bid on 6 lots of t206s. It bugs the crap out of me that I can't do anything about it except for blocking that specific seller after the fact.

ugh!

-jason

edited to add: I'm assuming if he wins, he won't pay and then I will relist. I don't contact buyers for second chance items for the reasons listed above. It appears as if funny business is going on. I don't have a problem losing the $1 to relist, but now you wait another week, etc. and I don't like the appearance of impropriety.

HRBAKER
10-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Good points.

I believe one of the original auctions had 2 "0" feedback bidders, must be a virus.

richieb315
10-10-2010, 03:52 PM
delete

richieb315
10-10-2010, 03:54 PM
I've got 6 t206 cards on ebay and some 0 feedback buyer bid on all of the lots. For some reason, you can't block 0 feedback buyers, only buyers with -1 or lower!

I don't know why someone with 0 feedback would bid on 6 lots of t206s. It bugs the crap out of me that I can't do anything about it except for blocking that specific seller after the fact.

ugh!

-jason

edited to add: I'm assuming if he wins, he won't pay and then I will relist. I don't contact buyers for second chance items for the reasons listed above. It appears as if funny business is going on. I don't have a problem losing the $1 to relist, but now you wait another week, etc. and I don't like the appearance of impropriety.

What kind of feedback do you need to have to bid on 6 t206 cards. At one time your feedback was 0 also.

rdixon1208
10-10-2010, 04:14 PM
The winning bidder in these auctions has 98 total bids on 32 items with 67% bid activity with this seller. 0 Feedback.

The first card listed in the seller's feedback is a 1969 Topps Mantle. The underbidder in this auction had a feedback rating of 2. He has 510 total bids on 147 items. 87% of his bid activity is with this seller. The second underbidder has a feedback of 0. He has 195 total bids on 52 items. His bid activity with this seller is 100%.

These same two bidders also bid on a T206 Shaw that the seller listed a few days earlier. They were also the first and second underbidders on a Dave Winfield RC. Maybe they both collect 74 Topps, 69 Topps, and T206....but I doubt it.

jimm
10-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Snipe the shill, don't give 'em time to run it up

Jaybird
10-10-2010, 08:50 PM
What kind of feedback do you need to have to bid on 6 t206 cards. At one time your feedback was 0 also.

Point taken. I've just been burned by 0 feedback bidders in past. They don't have the feedback and therefore can just drop that name and get another if they decide they don't want an item.

In this case, the buyer contacted me shortly after I posted and asked about combined shipping. He seemed legit and excited about the cards, so there you go. He won and immediately paid after I send him an invoice with combined shipping.

So, my pessimism was unwarranted.

B O'Brien
10-10-2010, 09:32 PM
EDIT; JayBird it looks like we had the same auction winner tonight**

I had a 1 feedback guy clean up on my stuff tonight (right under $1200). He did request a total with combined shipping, so I am hoping for the best!!

I don't mind the low feedback bidders, it is just that sometimes they don't understand the bidding process I guess. This guy went bid for bid, with nothing more than the the next bid placed every time. I hope he pays, but he sure as hell made it look like I was running dirty this evening.

Take care,
Bob

tolstoi
10-10-2010, 11:17 PM
I am just getting back into the hobby after a few years off, and this just reinforces my negativity towards dealing on ebay. I would just rather deal off the boards or from friends.

teetwoohsix
10-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Well, everythings been covered here, but just wanted to point out that in his description of the Krause T206 seller says there's no paper loss at all, yet when I looked at the back of the card it's pretty obvious to me there is quite a few spots of paper loss.

When I used to buy off of ebay just about every auction I seemed to bid on would start going nuts in the last couple of minutes........maybe this seller was afraid to wait until the end when the real action starts, or have things changed on ebay?

I guess I don't understand why a seller would have shill bidding going on with cards that really aren't worth a whole lot to begin with :confused:

Clayton

bobbyw8469
10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I sell on Ebay and I would NEVER make a 2nd Chance Offer to a buyer. My cards sell so cheaply anymore, that I would just as soon keep them if the winning bidder didn't pay instead of give them away. Just my 2 cents.....