PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning PSA Grading of Kelloggs

theseeker
10-06-2010, 04:37 PM
A few months back I was high bidder on Ebay for a 1970 Kellogg's BB Complete Set, with all the cards PSA graded. The cards did not fit into the slabs very well (cards too small, borders too big) and were placed inside soft plastic card holders that are loose fitting. To my non-expert eye, they appear more glad bag-like than designed baseball card holder-- this could also be because of a loose fit due to the cards smaller than standard size. Also, many of these plastic "bags" have scrathes right in the middle of the card.

I now question this because I recently bought some 1972 and 1974 Kellogg's BB cards that are PSA graded and they fit perfectly into their slabs, despite their non-standard sizes. These cards were not placed in plastic bags. The cards look clear and professionally done-- a huge contrast when compared to my 1970 Kellogg's cards.

Does the respected PSA have off days? I mean scratches on plastic holders that obscure the picture. Have they refined their process when dealing with niche cards through the years? Based on my FAR nicer 1972 and 1974 cards, with well fitted borders and no need for plastic holders, it certainly appears to be the case.

I guess it could be fraud, but just recently another 1970 PSA graded Kellogg's BB set was put up for auction and one of the scanned cards was crooked in it's ill-fitting slab and was clearly encased in soft plastic. The other cards scanned were not. Is this a case of one older PSA graded card mixed in with a more recently graded set?

And lastly, can I get my set upgraded/updated by PSA minus the cost of grading?

scmavl
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
From PSA's site:
Please Note- All card/ticket issues vary in size. Occasionally, a card/ticket will not fit into the designated holder. If this occurs, it will be placed in a mylar sleeve and put in an oversized holder. There are also card/ticket issues that PSA’s current holders cannot accommodate. Please call customer service for more details.

I think you can get one re-holdered for $5. Not sure how long it takes, though.

D. Bergin
10-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Maybe you would rather the Kellogg's holders were loose fitting. I have seen several high grade PSA Kellogg's cards on Ebay with cracks running right through them.

I don't think they react well to being tightened flat.