PDA

View Full Version : FAKE '52 Mantle on Ebay

Shoeless Moe
10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Read his lovely story in the description and the 2 rating should be enough to know this is fake, then if you go to his history he bought long ago from ebay seller Rawoysterman who was notorious for selling reprints/fakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180570046339

I've reported this listing to Ebay. Enjoy the sellers description while it is up.

GrayGhost
10-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Well, at least he listed it as a possible reprint.

Shoeless Moe
10-06-2010, 01:18 PM
He actually sold 1 on Monday, I feel for the buyer, there goes 1200, unless he sees this or is wise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-311-Mickey-Mantle-Rookie-Card-/180567313703?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a0aa68d27

Doug
10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Hopefully someday eBay will actually quit letting people list these cards with this "It's not graded, so I have to call it a possible reprint even though I've owned it for 30 years" crap. The people that are stupid enough to bid a few hundred bucks on these things don't help the cause either. :mad:

nfbuckeye
10-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Well, at least he listed it as a possible reprint.

Yeah, not sure he's technically doing anything wrong....

Doug
10-06-2010, 01:24 PM
He actually sold 1 on Monday, I feel for the buyer, there goes 1200, unless he sees this or is wise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-311-Mickey-Mantle-Rookie-Card-/180567313703?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a0aa68d27

It's as bad as the people that will drop $1500 on a T206 Wagner that "could be a reprint, but it came from grandpa's attic". If they have that much extra money to throw away, they are more and welcome to send some my way. :D

Shoeless Moe
10-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, not sure he's technically doing anything wrong....

He's lying. He knows it. How many people do u know unload 3 '52 Mantles in one week. If he gets these 3 graded, he probably adds 20+grand to his profit margin. So he is either the stupidest person on the planet or a fraud. And Rawowsterman had the best fakes around. Put 2 & 2 together.

Leon
10-06-2010, 01:33 PM
It's as bad as the people that will drop $1500 on a T206 Wagner that "could be a reprint, but it came from grandpa's attic". If they have that much extra money to throw away, they are more and welcome to send some my way. :D

That is what is called a $1500 learning lesson. It doesn't take too many of those to learn either......

Doug
10-06-2010, 01:39 PM
That is what is called a $1500 learning lesson. It doesn't take too many of those to learn either......

There are actual "finds" out there, but what are the odd of a legit T206 Wagner or 1952 Topps Mantle slipping through the cracks on eBay? IMO it's about as likely as the guy listing a lottery ticket from a week ago and claiming it might be a winner because he didn't check the numbers. I know "a fool and his money are soon parted", but I'm starting to wonder how anyone dumb enough to buy one of those cards got that much extra money to begin with...

Shoeless Moe
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Also....look at the feedback he's left for others. He sold 2 more '52 Mantles in August. He seems to have an endless supply. I've contacted those buyers. I'll let you know if they respond to me. Both look like avid collectors, would love to hear if they tried to have them graded. I'll report back.

Shoeless Moe
10-06-2010, 01:49 PM
......well not for the buyers of these. Go click on this sellers feedback, and when u see the only feedback from Rayowsterman click on him, even though no longer a registered user, look at his picture......too funny. Then look at all the fakes/reprints he sold. Be vary wary of ungraded these cards, which are just about all years, any brands, but mostly the big boys. How many of the buyers of those fakes are now turning around and putting on Ebay with the Grandpa's attic etc stories, just be wary. 96 pages of feedback on "authentic looking" fakes, Aye carumba!

Doug
10-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Check this out for scary: http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-TOPPS-BASEBALL-OLD-LOOKING-MICKEY-MANTLE-REPRINT-/120630517492 There's no reason eBay should let people sell these things. Even when people list them as reprints sooner or later they are going to get to the quality where they look dead on like the real thing and fall into the hands of scammers trying to rip people off. As long as eBay gets their fees I'm sure they will keep their heads in the sand.

Shoeless Moe
10-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Also....look at the feedback he's left for others. He sold 2 more '52 Mantles in August. He seems to have an endless supply. I've contacted those buyers. I'll let you know if they respond to me. Both look like avid collectors, would love to hear if they tried to have them graded. I'll report back.

1st off can u reply to your own quote? I feel like Kramer in the episode he stands at the corner of 1st & 1st. Anyhow........one of the August buyers of the '52 Mantle's (jimbo5682) just replied to me, that yes the card was a fake and they did get there money back.

lharri3600
10-06-2010, 02:04 PM

you got that right leon!! what's up?

Doug
10-06-2010, 02:11 PM

I'm pretty sure those lessons are what Dave Ramsey refers to as "stupid tax". :)

FUBAR
10-06-2010, 02:52 PM
so you guys call people fools for buying fakes.... which i agree whole heartedly!!
but when a new guy asks if this same card is a fake, so he is trying not to be one of these fools, he gets the third degree....

I am glad the guys on here point out fakes, it is very educational but we should be more accepting when i guy is asking advice.

Doug
10-06-2010, 04:04 PM
so you guys call people fools for buying fakes.... which i agree whole heartedly!!
but when a new guy asks if this same card is a fake, so he is trying not to be one of these fools, he gets the third degree....

I am glad the guys on here point out fakes, it is very educational but we should be more accepting when i guy is asking advice.

In my defense I call people stupid for buying fakes, but I took up for the guy asking about the PSA 7 Mantle too. It doesn't make a lot of sense to blast people that buy fake cards for not doing their research and then slam a guy that actually asks about the legitimacy of a card.