PDA

View Full Version : House Cleaner Cleans House

iggyman
10-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Maid steals sports memorabilia and subsequently sells it on Hunts July 2008 auction. Did anybody here win a photo album or scrapbook from the Amos Strunk collection??? The way things are going, you better be careful what you post on the latest pickup thread.

Bad guys and gals are more collectible savvy then I give them credit for. She went the auction route and seemed to have done real well for herself. Of course, if she would have used Craiglist or eBay, the paper trail would have been harder to trace.

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2010/10/04/news/doc4caa556a67622330493295.txt

Does the auction house have any responsibility here??? And does anything happen to the stolen items that were purchased by the high bidders?? Heck, what is the name of the maid cleaning service and are they ultimately responsible :)???

Lovely Day...

tolstoi
10-06-2010, 03:35 AM
I don't think the auction house should be responsible necessarily, but the maid service should.

joeadcock
10-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Since presumbaly the Auction house had no knowledge of what occured, and they went through the customary protocal for receiving items to be sold, they probably should not be responsible.
Unfortunately, the maid service(as they hired her), would bear responsibility as would an electrical company if their employee did faulty wiring in a home(for example).
So I agree with the above.
The maid bears ultimate responsibility legally, and her employee will likely get sued(as the deeper pocket).

Frank

dstraate
10-07-2010, 07:59 AM
This is precisely why I don't mind the dust buildup on top of the DVD player. Yeesh.:mad:

FUBAR
10-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I was unaware my EX was working as a maid! B*tch give my stuff back!

iggyman
10-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Since this thread has been bumped, here are more cliff notes:

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2010/10/06/news/doc4cacdfee3000f666857410.txt

Lovely Day...

joeadcock
10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Wonder how she knew to consign?

Question now is what happens if she is found guilty which means it was stolen collection? Does the buyer have to return it to the auction house who then returns his money? What if the auction house cannot recover money from her?

Says not guilty, does the auction house pursue this anyway since the relatives feel it was stolen(even if she is not proven guilty)? Is this the obligation of the aucton house to maintain their name clean?

What is ethical here? Since we should always be ethical.

Frank

iggyman
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Wonder how she knew to consign?

Question now is what happens if she is found guilty which means it was stolen collection?
Frank

Frank,

You pose the "800 hundred pound gorilla in the room " question better then I ever could. So, what is the precedence that has been established when an auction house unwittingly sells stolen goods? Does the buyer have to legally return the item(s)? It sounds like the right thing to do, but how is he compensated? What if the buyer already sold or traded some of the stuff? Heck, what if the buyer claims it has been lost or stolen by a butler? Didn't we once upon a time, have a bunch of lawyers on this site, or was that only when prewar cards were doing better then the stock market? Barry, during your auction glory days, did this ever happen to you? Can I possibly ask anymore questions before running out of typeface question fonts?????????????

Lovely Day...