PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on using escrow.com

BleedinBlue
10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I am selling a card of significant value ($30k+) and a potential buyer has requested that I use escrow.com. I've never dealt with this service and have my concerns. Has anybody ever used this service or have any feedback on the pros and cons of using this service?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

canjond
10-04-2010, 09:18 PM
For $30k+, I'd be doing personal delivery - but that is just me. That sum is just too much to trust anything IMO.

Matt
10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe you guys could just agree on a neutral 3rd party - i.e. a known person in the hobby, to act as an escrow holder?

RichardSimon
10-05-2010, 07:25 AM
I have used escrow.com a couple of times.
It always was fine with my transactions, but I never had a transaction that large.

lharri3600
10-05-2010, 07:27 AM
For $30k+, I'd be doing personal delivery - but that is just me. That sum is just too much to trust anything IMO.

i agree with Jon on this. just my $.02

barrysloate
10-05-2010, 07:56 AM
If I needed to ship a 30K card I would use registered mail and insure it for the maximum 25K. You are incurring an infinitesimally small risk. And it will cost somewhere around $50. Flying will cost multiples of that and there are risks there too, such as loss or theft. Would you even be insured if you lost it while traveling?

BleedinBlue
10-05-2010, 08:32 AM
A concern I have with shipping the card is the honesty of the buyer. What is to prevent them from claiming I shipped an empty envelope and then go back to the escrow service or paypal or whoever and demand their money be returned?

E93
10-05-2010, 08:37 AM
If you do not know the buyer well, I would ask to use a well-respected and mutually agreed upon dealer as the broker of the deal. If you are dealing with cards like that, I would guess most major dealers would be happy to oblige. Just tell him you feel more comfortable with the card being held by somebody you know.
JimB

barrysloate
10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
I once brokered a deal for a board member who lived in the midwest and was selling a card to someone in the New York area. He sent me the card, and the buyer met me at my bank in Brooklyn. It worked fine and everybody was happy.

barrysloate
10-05-2010, 09:03 AM
A concern I have with shipping the card is the honesty of the buyer. What is to prevent them from claiming I shipped an empty envelope and then go back to the escrow service or paypal or whoever and demand their money be returned?

If you think the buyer may pull a scam like that then you shouldn't ship it.

Matt
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM

Someone buying a $30k card is going to have a hobby reputation - send an email to Leon (mailto://leon@net54baseball.com) with the guys name and that might allay your concerns.

Matthew H
10-05-2010, 09:32 AM

I believe that all registered mail is opened and checked for contents, right?

barrysloate
10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
No registered package is ever opened and inspected.