PDA

View Full Version : Tough back crazy price...

Mikehealer
10-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I was watching this one and couldn't believe the final price.
Great card with a tougher back, but wow the seller has to be(pleasantly) surprised with that price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270642143218&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3-2-count
10-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I saw that Mike. Insane!! If you look at the bid history if not for the under bidder's bid the winner would have won it for darn near $900 bucks less.
OUCH!! Don't you just hate when that happens.

Mikehealer
10-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I saw that Tony, you know the seller liked that as much as the high bidder didn't.

3-2-count
10-03-2010, 09:51 PM
No doubt Mike. I bet both the seller & high bidder fell out of their chair once bidding ended.

ChiefBenderForever
10-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Mike you said you were gonna win that one what happened ?

Mikehealer
10-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I said I would like to have it, but I didn't want it nearly as much as a couple of others.

David R
10-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I was going to bid on that one too but I got caught up with other things and missed the ending. It wouldn't have mattered. I still don't understand why that one went so high.

ethicsprof
10-04-2010, 12:44 AM
it must have been that 'rare' back.
nice card but way too much money spent IMHO.
still, to each his own

best,
barry

calvindog
10-04-2010, 07:04 AM
I don't know who won it but I'm pretty sure he's going to need $2200 next month on the BST in order to get his money out of it.

Leon
10-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Why can't I ever be that seller? And to think there were two, what looked like legitimate bidders, at $1800 or more. Makes me wonder where the Lenox (brown) Lajoie will end up?

Rob D.
10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
I doubt the selling price of this card is relative to what the brown Lenox Lajoie will sell for. The buyer of the Cycle doesn't think it's worth $1,825. The unrealistic price likely is the result of two bidders placing extremely high bids in hopes of ensuring they would top all others. One of them did, and paid a premium to do it, because someone else used the same strategy. It happens.

Such a scenario can't play out in an auction that doesn't have a fixed ending time, like eBay does.

Leon
10-04-2010, 09:38 AM
I doubt the selling price of this card is relative to what the brown Lenox Lajoie will sell for. The buyer of the Cycle doesn't think it's worth $1,825. The unrealistic price likely is the result of two bidders placing extremely high bids in hopes of ensuring they would top all others. One of them did, and paid a premium to do it, because someone else used the same strategy. It happens.

Such a scenario can't play out in an auction that doesn't have a fixed ending time, like eBay does.

Good points Rob. I agree that both top bidders probably had the same strategy. I would be pooping in my shorts if I won that card on ebay for that price. It's a great card but that is a very, very strong price for it.

barrysloate
10-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Good points Rob. I agree that both top bidders probably had the same strategy. I would be pooping in my shorts if I won that card on ebay for that price. It's a great card but that is a very, very strong price for it.

That's why you should never leave a snipe that is higher than what you are willing to pay for something.

Doug
10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
At least I'm not the only person who buys cards at twice what I can sell them for. :eek:

B O'Brien
10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I have been stuck once or twice at a price I thought was top dollar for a card on a late bid, but WOW. Those are a couple of BIG max bids.

I had to take a 10% ($300) hit on the P42 Cobb last year after putting down a big last second bid. I wanted to keep the card, but had to sell because of what I had to pay on it. I tell you, there is nothing like thinking you are going to be in good shape with a nice card at a good price, then BOOOM, it takes a $1000 jump in the last 3 seconds.

I hope for the buyers sake that card is not seen on the market for many years. Great card for the collector, heavy durden for the flipper/investor.

How long has it been since one of those has been on the market?

Hope all is well and everyone is enjoying the fall,
Bob

tolstoi
10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
i agree, I really wish I could be that seller. Honestly that is where the allure of ebay is because you never know what something might end for. I miss the Bidding wars of the early years of ebay.

Bridwell
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Wow, that card sold for more than twice what I thought.

It reminds me of when I used to sell on ebay. It seemed like it would always happen that one card would sell for 2-3 times what I was expecting. The profit on that one card made it worthwhile to pay the ebay fees on all the others that sold for the normal price.

Rob D.
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Wow, that card sold for more than twice what I thought.

+1