PDA

View Full Version : JSA Need Advice Autographed Gloves

Streetsideguy
09-29-2010, 11:04 AM
I purchased two autographed baseball gloves about 10 years ago from a dealer in NJ. They both came with letters of authenticity from the dealer and I have been told they are a well respected dealer. I recently thought about selling the two gloves and sent them to JSA for authentification. The Mickey Mantle signed glove came back good, but the Ted Williams glove was deemed not authentic. I contacted the dealer through their ebay site and told them of the issue and that I would send them all documentatation on the gloves to them. They said they didn't remember ever selling me any gloves in the past. I did find all the papework including the credit card receipt that was used in the purchase as well as the LOA's, etc. Their address is even the same on all the paperwork too. I sent the paperwork via USPS and they did sign for the envelope. I have tried to contact them about 15 times since and they will not respond to my inquiries. Where do I go from here? I have left the dealers name out of the conversation here, but will be willing to name them if they don't at least respond soon. JW

RichardSimon
09-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I purchased two autographed baseball gloves about 10 years ago from a dealer in NJ. They both came with letters of authenticity from the dealer and I have been told they are a well respected dealer. I recently thought about selling the two gloves and sent them to JSA for authentification. The Mickey Mantle signed glove came back good, but the Ted Williams glove was deemed not authentic. I contacted the dealer through their ebay site and told them of the issue and that I would send them all documentatation on the gloves to them. They said they didn't remember ever selling me any gloves in the past. I did find all the papework including the credit card receipt that was used in the purchase as well as the LOA's, etc. Their address is even the same on all the paperwork too. I sent the paperwork via USPS and they did sign for the envelope. I have tried to contact them about 15 times since and they will not respond to my inquiries. Where do I go from here? I have left the dealers name out of the conversation here, but will be willing to name them if they don't at least respond soon. JW

Is the dealer a member of UACC?
If so you can file a complaint with them.
If not, then I suggest you send them one more registered letter stating that you will be forced to legal recourse if they don't acknowledge the sale.
Then either see an attorney or go to the local law enforcement in the dealer's city.
--

J.McMurry
09-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I dont see a problem with naming them up front as long as you're not name calling and or accusing them of a crime.

That comes later if they dont handle this properly:)

oriolesbb6
09-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Shady that they did not sign for the ups.... Not much more needs to be said, they really stand behind their product.........

Streetsideguy
09-29-2010, 10:41 PM
They did sign for the letter so they did get the information that I sent them. Where do I find out if they are a member of the UACC? I will go ahead and tell you who they are. If you happen to know them, you might suggest they be a bit proactive on this instead of not returning any of my messages.

Dot & Lou's Collectibles
PO Box 7020 (W.O.B.)
West Orange, NJ 07052

The owners name according to my Certificate of Authenticity from them is Louis F. Pascale and Dorthy A. Pascale.

Any additional thoughts here?

JW

ss
09-30-2010, 05:15 AM
JSA could of course, be wrong. Can you post photos of the gloves for some second and third opinions?

RichardSimon
09-30-2010, 05:44 AM
This page lists UACC Registered Autograph Dealers.
http://www.uacc.info/page8.html

--

bigtrain
09-30-2010, 07:24 AM
I am not an expert in this area of the law but I believe that you will find that the statute of limitations for fraud and/or contracts is 6 years in New Jersey. Some states count the time from the date you knew or should have discovered the fraud, but I don't think that applies in NJ. Unless the Certificate includes a lifetime guarantee, you may have a problem.

oldballgame
09-30-2010, 08:01 AM
In the first place there is no excuse for the dealer not to discuss this matter with you. Without seeing pictures of the signed gloves it is hard to tell if they are correct as I have had gloves signed in person by an athlete that looks different from lets say a signed picture by the same athlete. If they used silver pen to sign the glove this also makes the signature hard to judge.

sayhey24
09-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Jason -- you mentioned that you paid by credit card. Perhaps too much time has gone by, but have you checked to see if the cc company can help?

Greg

danc
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Do LOA's really serve a purpose in the long run? Are they legally binding? I know some say 'lifetime guarantee' but unless the dealer is reputable and cares about the work he does, does it really matter?

Those people that sold the items seem like unknown entities, which the hobby is full of.

A scan would indeed be helpful.

DanC

murphusa
09-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Dot and Lou's were a long time SCD advertiser who did shows in NYC and North Jersey. Their biggest area of sales was in HOF bats. Did not know that they dabbled in autographs

Streetsideguy
10-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Here are two photos of the glove in question as well as the LOA and the JSA rejection letter. I understand that JSA could be incorrect, but my main concern is the dealer that sold it to me and is still in business will not even respond to me. Very unprofessional.

JW

canjond
10-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I'll defer to some of the Williams experts on here but I did not see any of the tell-tail signs of a Williams fake. The sig looks pretty good to me.

HRBAKER
10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Strange coincidence, both the Cert. of Authenticity and the De-Certificate of Authenticity are dated on August 2nd.

I agree with you that it is troubling that the seller won't even give you the time of day. The reality is probably all they would say is that JSA is wrong and of course JSA is not guaranteeing they are right, just an informed opinion.

Are you asking them to take it back?

Streetsideguy
10-01-2010, 10:55 PM
That is funny that it is the exact same date, but 11 years later. I didn't notice that. I haven't asked for my money back because Dot & Lou's won't even respond at all. I just wanted to see what their thoughts were, but I guess they are not interested in chatting. They did respond when I pretended I was interested in something else they had for sale on Ebay, but then they wouldn't respond when I asked why they would not respond to any other emails I have sent.

Here is the last email I sent through Ebay to the seller. Obviously no response again after nearly a week.

Dear vailsburg63,

Well now that I know you are reading these emails, will you please respond regarding the Ted Williams signed glove that you sold me that did not pass the JSA review. I sent you all the paperwork including the letter of autenticity from you and even the credit card receipt from the purchase. You did sign for that piece of mail. I have tried to contact you numerous times to no avail. Please respond with your fix to the issue, or will be happy to take it to another level if need be. Jason

- streetsideguy

Streetsideguy
10-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Any additional thoughts on the signature? Had lots of people ask me to put pictures up of the signature in question, but have had only one response. JW

shelly
10-05-2010, 11:04 AM
I can tell you that it is a fake. It was done by Gregg Marino. His way of doing the s on the Williams is the proof that he did it.

danc
10-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Can we see the Mantle? If the Williams is known to Shelly as a Marino (and he would know), what do you think the chances are that the Mantle signature was also done by Marino?

DanC