PDA

View Full Version : Help! Boxing Photos

Big Six
09-24-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm new to the board and I focus primarily on baseball, but I've had some old boxing photos that were given to me by my dad about twenty years ago. I'm providing a scan of one of the 8x10 photos (John L. Sullivan) so you can see what I'm talking about.

Some background...my grandfather owned a small bar in Springfield, MA in the late 1950's and early 1960's called McCarthy's Tavern. It was a beer and shots place and apparently these boxing photos were framed on the wall. When the bar shut down, the photos were put in a box until they found their way to me in the early 90's.

The collection includes Max Baer, James Braddock, Tommy Burns, Primo Caronera, James Corbett, Jack Dempsey, Bob Fitzimmons, Jim Jeffries, Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Max Schmeling, Jack Sharkey, Sullivan, Gene Tunney and Jess Willard. I'm no expert but I can tell they are not TYPE I photos but they also aren't laser copies on Kodak paper either.

Any one scene these photos before? I'm happy to post scans of a couple more if anyone wants to throw a name out there...just let me know. Thanks in advance for the guidance! Matt

D. Bergin
09-24-2010, 02:29 PM
If they are all similar in style to the Sullivan they look like the send-aways sold through Ring Magazine and possibly other Boxing and Sporting publications from around the 1930's and probably all the way into the 1960's.

They are probably on the older side, but don't usually have a lot of value.

Big Six
09-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Ok...that would be cool! I'll post a couple others to see if that helps confirm your hunch...thanks!