PDA

View Full Version : 1914 Baltimore News card research...

Baseball Rarities
09-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I am doing a little research on 1914 Baltimore News cards, especially the Ruth.

If anyone has done any research on this issue or is very familiar with the issue, please contact me.

Specifically, I am trying to figure out exactly how these cards were issued. I know that one of the backs states "Read the Baltimore News," but it does not say anything on how to get a card. The other back states "Compliments of Baltimore International/Federal League," so obviously these cards were given out on behalf of the team, but how? Has anyone ever seen a newspaper advertisement?

Also, with regards to the Ruth card specifically, when is the first time that this card was catalogued? I know that the 1991 Sothebys Copeland sale had one of the best examples known - does anyone know of anything earlier? I have scoured my run of The Trader Speaks, but have been unable to find anything.

I appreciate any help.

barrysloate
09-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi Kevin- I kind of remember the Copeland Sale being the first time I saw one auctioned, but that's a long time ago. I still believe there was a time when this card was known but not considered a great rarity. As such, one could have shown up in a small SCD ad and slipped under the radar.

scottglevy
09-23-2010, 09:29 AM
But I'm pretty sure that the same Copeland card was auctioned in the mid 1980s from a decent sized hobby auction house. I specifically remember my dad was contemplating whether to bid such an insane sum as 5k for a baseball card and I believe that he got outbid by Rob Lifson and ultimately Copeland ... so I suppose it wouldn't have mattered what he bid :)

I'll try to get a few more details from him.

Wesley
09-23-2010, 09:57 AM
What is the known population for the Baltimore News Babe Ruth card now? I noticed that REA did not have one this year.

insidethewrapper
09-23-2010, 10:13 AM
PSA has graded 2 Ruth's and SGC has 4 Ruth's graded. They come in blue or red. I'm not sure how many of each have been discovered or graded by color .
Seem like an ad in the Newpaper would be available if someone did the research.

Baseball Rarities
09-23-2010, 10:25 AM
What is the known population for the Baltimore News Babe Ruth card now? I noticed that REA did not have one this year.

I know of ten examples. Nine are in private hands and one is in the Babe Ruth Museum. There was an 11th, but according to REA, it was lost by its owner.

The last one that REA had in 2009 was the same example that they sold in 2006, so it has been 2-1/2 years since they have offered a fresh example.

barrysloate
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
I believe there are two collectors who have both a blue and a red, leaving only five others possessing one.

I had one on consignment about 15 years ago but it was very low grade with significant paper loss. It originated from a Hunt Auction. I think that is the lowest graded one known, and I assume it is part of the population Kevin cites.

Baseball Rarities
09-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I believe there are two collectors who have both a blue and a red, leaving only five others possessing one.

I had one on consignment about 15 years ago but it was very low grade with significant paper loss. It originated from a Hunt Auction. I think that is the lowest graded one known, and I assume it is part of the population Kevin cites.

Barry. Yes, that is the same info that I have. Two collectors have two. The Babe Ruth Museum has one and five other collectors have a specimen.

I have accounted for the one that you offered on your list. I have it orginally being offered by Hunt via auction in 1999 and then being offered by you via direct sale in 2001.

Also, I have been told that the Copeland specimen was originally auctioned by Alan Rosen/ Mr. Mint in the 80's.

bcbgcbrcb
09-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Kevin:

Sorry I can't provide any useful info on that card set but I have done a little bit of research on the newspaper itself as I have a Baltimore American News issue dated the day after Opening Day, 1914 which indicates that the Orioles won their opener yesterday and includes a team photo including Babe Ruth, who would make his professinal baseball debut the following day, April 23, 1914 for the Orioles. The Baltimore American and the Baltimore News operated as two separate newspapers during that era although they would go on to merge forces later. In case anyone would like to see a scan of that newspaper page, here it is:

barrysloate
09-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I didn't realize I offered the one I had nine years ago. It feels longer.

Jewish-collector
09-23-2010, 01:32 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe of the 11 known Ruth cards, 6 are the blue variation and 5 are the red variations.

Leon
09-23-2010, 01:32 PM
I didn't realize I offered the one I had nine years ago. It feels longer.

I remember getting a little mailer about 10 yrs ago, advertising one for sale for 20k, that was missing a chunk of it, I think it was on the left side. Are you guys counting that one too? I think the flyer might have come from Jerry Smolin?? (but maybe not)

I might be able to find the flyer but am not sure if I still have it.

oldjudge
09-23-2010, 01:50 PM
When is the first time a mention of one of these cards appears in print? I always find it interesting that some card sets go so long (Just So also) without being discovered.

Baseball Rarities
09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
I remember getting a little mailer about 10 yrs ago, advertising one for sale for 20k, that was missing a chunk of it, I think it was on the left side. Are you guys counting that one too? I think the flyer might have come from Jerry Smolin?? (but maybe not)

I might be able to find the flyer but am not sure if I still have it.

Leon, that was the one that Barry had for sale. He was on his own then.

Baseball Rarities
09-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe of the 11 known Ruth cards, 6 are the blue variation and 5 are the red variations.

Alan, I know of 10 examples - 6 blue, and 5 red. I do not know what color the lost one is.

barrysloate
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks Kevin, you beat me to it. The card had real condition problems, but it was a genuine Ruth.

Leon
09-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks Kevin, you beat me to it. The card had real condition problems, but it was a genuine Ruth.

Thanks ...from what I remember, besides the little chunk missing, it wasn't all that bad. Sorry I didn't remember the fine print....It was a while ago, but maybe not quite as long as I thought...

barrysloate
09-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks ...from what I remember, besides the little chunk missing, it wasn't all that bad. Sorry I didn't remember the fine print....It was a while ago, but maybe not quite as long as I thought...

It was pretty rustic!:rolleyes:

brian1961
09-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Kevin,

I believe Mr. Mint provided a bit of info on these while describing one of his famous finds in his book, TRUE MINT.

Also, unless you have already done so, give Rob Lifson a call. He is not only a real gentleman, he will kindly share what information he has on them, although anything he knows has probably already appeared in his auction write-ups of the Ruths. I would also ask him if he knows anyone else that might be able to shed some light on them.

Finally, the individual who spoke of looking through microfilm of the newspapers involved has perhaps the best idea. Look for an original ad. It is tedious, but sometimes very rewarding. One potential problem though. Many libraries will not allow such microfilm out of their facility. Too many jerks ripped them off, so you may have to go there to do the research.

I would imagine such an advertisement appearing in April, May, or as late as June. I wish you the best. I know I would like to know their story.
-Brian Powell

canjond
09-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Didn't Dan's father sell one a long time ago - before the value really took off?

Baseball Rarities
09-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Brian, thanks for the suggestions.

I will have to pick up a copy of Rosen's book. It is one of the few that I never added to my library.

I have talked with Rob and he was very helpful. Much of the information that I have came from him.

Newspapers will be my next endeavor. I spent a lot of time researching things in the Sporting Life, so I know how tedious it can be.

Hal Kaplan
09-23-2010, 08:45 PM
The Baltimore News also issued a team card with Ruth in 1914 (lot 5 in the2007 REA auction). It is the only one known and a recent discovery.

danmckee
09-28-2010, 07:11 PM
My dad was the first to catalog these cards and the Washington Times with Bob Lemeke in the early 1990s. Dan

Baseball Rarities
09-28-2010, 07:17 PM
My dad was the first to catalog these cards and the Washington Times with Bob Lemeke in the early 1990s. Dan

Dan, two of my favorite issues.

danmckee
09-28-2010, 07:25 PM
They are super!! I am just sick that we owned 2 Ruth's and now have none!! Ugh! But we still have all of our Topps and Bowman sets.. Yippie!

Kenny Cole
09-28-2010, 08:02 PM
But Dan, think of the happiness that you provided two other people. :)

Leon
09-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I know a few board members who have a Ruth or so, but alas, not me.....The cards do have some very vibrant colors...I still need a blue one ...:(

Baseball Rarities
09-30-2010, 07:38 PM
I believe Mr. Mint provided a bit of info on these while describing one of his famous finds in his book, TRUE MINT.

Brian, I bought the book and received it today. It does, in fact, have some information on the Baltimore News cards. Thanks for the heads up.

According to the book, which was written in 1994, Rosen bought the cards along with some T205s and a phenomenal group of early pristine (1911 on) press pins. He refers to them as "Baltimore Sun" cards and claims that the seller's grandfather worked for the Baltimore Sun. Supposedly, there were several Ruth cards in the collection. From my research, the exact number was two - the one that ended up selling in the Sothebys Copeland sale and another that ended up selling in the Sothebys Halper sale. Kind of makes sense - the grandfather kept one of each color. They are both in spectacular condition and may well be the nicest known examples. As an aside, I am pretty sure that the same collector now owns both of these cards, so the are back together again.

From what I can gather, the Baltimore Sun and the Baltimore News were compteting newspapers and were never associated with each other. The Baltimore News folded in 1986 and the Baltimore Sun continues to this day. I assume that the grandfather worked for the Baltimore News and his grandson just got the names confused, but I may be totally wrong.

Anyways, with the inclusion of pristine press pins from the same era as the cards, the story makes sense. Obviously, someone associated with either of the papers would have had access to press pins at the time.

brian1961
10-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Dear Kevin,

Honest, I just came to the computer to quote to you the passage from Alan Rosen's book on the Baltimore News Babe Ruth material. Be that as it may, as a researcher, it would be better to own the book and examine it again and again and again for deductive clues.

Now, since you purchased the book, give Alan Rosen a call. I do not care what everyone says about the man, if you approach Mr. Rosen with dignity and respect, and sincerely ask him for help, he may very well convey whatever he might remember of the find. Kevin, it was a very significant find. By that, I mean when I specifically asked him about it, there were more than two Ruths involved in Mr. Mint's purchase, unless I misinterpreted who you were referring to about owning the best red and blue specimen.

Remember as I'm sure you do, Mr. Mint was one of the key suppliers of fine material for the Jim Copeland collection. Anyway, I spoke with Mr. Rosen in 2008 about his Baltimore News Babe Ruth find, and he informed me there were several Ruths of each color, not two examples.

You are probably well ahead of me, but have you done a search through your public library's inter-library loan person regarding what libraries own microfilm of the 1914 Baltimore News? There might be one library that will do the loan. Again, April through June should do the trick. Surely the paper would have run several advertisements on their baseball card promotion. Naturally, look for more than just one ad. The ads could very well unlock the treasure chest of unknown hobby information regarding how exactly the cards were issued. I shouldn't go on like this, as you probably jolly well know what might turn up.

One collector made the humorous suggestion that since there "seems" to be many more Ruths, the printer actually made many more of George. Unless I am missing something, that conclusion is preposterous. Ruth was perhaps the only player in the set that went on to greatness. In those days, people did not always keep everything they ever owned. Granted, there were WWI paper drives, but I think the matter is simply that these were minor league and Federal League cards. After a few years, a teenager or young man might go through his Baltimore News cards and look them over and decide to throw them away, but since Ruth was already famous, he would keep the Babe and throw away all the "Joe Schlabotniks". I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I better shut up and let you get back to researching. Hope all goes well!

Respectfully, Brian Powell

Gary Dunaier
10-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I know of ten examples. Nine are in private hands and one is in the Babe Ruth Museum. There was an 11th, but according to REA, it was lost by its owner.

Are you sure you're not confusing that with the 1933 R306 Butter Cream Confectionery Babe Ruth, which Barry Halper accidentally threw out?

Baseball Rarities
10-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Are you sure you're not confusing that with the 1933 R306 Butter Cream Confectionery Babe Ruth, which Barry Halper accidentally threw out?

No, a Baltimore News Ruth was lost by its owner. I know of the Butter Cream Ruth story as well. This Baltimore News Ruth was lost by its owner who already had it in his possession.

Gary Dunaier
10-29-2016, 09:43 PM
Bumping this 6-year-old thread to ask a question about the back of the card.

I notice on the back of the Suggs card, there's a space for the name of the owner to be written. There's no such space on the back of the Ruth card. Is that because the Terrapins' schedule was shorter than the Orioles', and they needed something to fill the space?

And does the fact that the space is preceded by the phrase "This Card is Given to" (bold added) provide any clues as to the cards' distribution?