PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter Tin Type

bigfish
09-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Appreciate the help guys.

Vintagecatcher
09-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi Toby,

Maybe some of the firemen can chime in, but I believe the 1 on the belt represents Engine 1.

Patrick

bigfish
09-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Patrick,

Thanks for the help. I love the image. It was advertised as a military image. I have a few baseball tin types but thought this type of uniform might be a stretch. I collect tin types so this fits nicely into my collection what ever it is.

barrysloate
09-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Fireman would be my guess too.

ramram
09-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Ya, It would appear to be c. 1870's fireman and not a ballplayer, particularly due to the "1" on the belt.

I'd suspect it was not originally married to that case either (you're probably already aware of that since you're familiar with tintypes but I'll go on anyway).

Cased tintypes went out of fasion, for the most part, in the mid 1860's. The photographers found they could sell a lot more photographs if they didn't include the expense of a case, so, bye-bye went the case. When you run across a tintype in it's original case you can then pretty much expect that it's late 1850's to mid 1860's (earlier than that time period you were dealing with ambrotypes and daguerreotypes). Had it been original to the case, you'd expect to see no damage to the tintype (bends, etc.) and a much plainer backdrop (the more "flowery/landscaped" backdrops started showing up more in the 1870's and later). You'd also tend to see a faint outline on the tintype caused by the brass mat that covers the image if it was original to the case. Other telltale signs of the approximate date of a tintype can be picked up by the type of plate (thickness, etc.), or from the photo contents (style of clothes, hair, facial hair, hats).

Rob M.

bigfish
09-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Thank you so much for the post. I appreciate the time and info in the post.

Pup6913
09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Is that a fish and harpoon in the pic. I think if it is then it may be a 1st mate and someone else??? Maybe I am seeing stuff????

Ladder7
09-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Generally, for ID purposes, Officers wear white. The belt has a "horn" (bugle). It is actually a megaphone, used in the old days to ensure directives were heard.

Single=lieut
double=capt
florette (3)=chief

The other fellow appears to be a chaplin. A good guy to befriend as LOD deaths were the norm, before scba.

http://www.pc-cheats-codes.com/games-image-large/antique-firemens-fire-department-speaking-trumpet-horn_180519684994.jpg