PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your favorite books relating to the T206 set

Luke
09-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm planning to track down some books in order to learn more about the set and baseball in general from 1909-1911. When I was a kid, I learned about all the HOFers and I memorized all their stats from my Baseball Encyclopedia. However, I don't know anything about the Southern League, or most of the players in the set who aren't in the HOF.
I'm looking for anything that you have enjoyed or found interesting, whether it's about the cards themselves, or the players on the cards. So far, the only literature I have read is Scot Reader's eBook, which I think is very informative and well put together. Thanks a lot!

Luke

paulcarek
09-20-2010, 12:45 PM
It's been mentioned in many threads here, but I really loved "Crazy '08."

http://www.crazy08.com/

Highly entertaining account of the '08 season. Technically not within the T206 time frame, but pretty much the same cast of characters.

ethicsprof
09-20-2010, 02:38 PM
there are a number of good books out there about key players and a couple of new books out which are helpful but nothing compares to Lipset's volume on T cards IMHO.
there's not a day goes by that i don't turn to it for something.
all the best,
barry

Luke
09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
there are a number of good books out there about key players and a couple of new books out which are helpful but nothing compares to Lipset's volume on T cards IMHO.
all the best,
barry

Anybody know where I could find a copy of this?

E93
09-20-2010, 04:08 PM
The two SABR books, Deadball Stars are great.
JimB

tonyo
09-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Anybody know where I could find a copy of this?

I bought all three volumes in one book on ebay several months ago. I think it was around $20-$25.

Also,

search this website and you are bound to come up with some really interesting, in depth threads.

tothrk
09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
all the best,
barry

Could you please tell me the title of this book?
Thanks,
Bob

Abravefan11
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Could you please tell me the title of this book?
Thanks,
Bob

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UrSHvogCrmM/TJfx3U3R6oI/AAAAAAAADAs/g3hVluvluYw/dfdd_1.JPG

tothrk
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Tim,

1. Thanks.
2. Nice collection.

Bob

toppcat
09-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Mark Macrae is selling the Lipset book these days - at work so don't have his e-mail but someone can post it hopefully. I think he has it for $25 or $30-a real bargain.

bh3443
09-21-2010, 11:39 AM
i really enjoyed this book and my daughters bought it on Amazon.
The Encyclopdia's are classic and a must for collectors, too.
Good luck and enjoy your project.

Hot Springs Bathers
09-21-2010, 01:39 PM
All the books mentioned are wonderful, the two SABR Deadball books give a great insight into most of the AL & NL players of the era. The Lipset books give unequaled (except for this forum) info on the cards.

If you want to know a little more about the actual personalities of the people that played the game nothing and I mean nothing compares to Lawrence Ritter's classic THE GLORY OF THEIR TIMES. It tops every published list that I have seen as the best baseball book ever written and I would agree.

I think the thing that struck a chord with me is that these guys seemed very normal. I wrote Ritter a letter years ago and he and Donald Honig both related the same type of story. When these guys finished their careers they had to pick up a normal lifestyle and feed their families. Wagner is a great example, job to job, needing help from others often.

This group headed right into the great depression too. Baseball was a great thing to reflect on for them but survival was the paramount factor in their lives just as it was to most of our ancestors.

All of this makes Cobb stand out even more. For such a strange guy he seemed to understand money and its' value to his future more than most. From all I have read I think McGraw was a close second, not in accumulated wealth but in financial accumen.

Just my two cents worth.

JohnH19
09-22-2010, 05:38 PM
"The T206 Collection - The Players and Their Stories", by Tom & Ellen Zuppala, is a decent reference tool.

Edit: "The Unforgettable Season", by G.H. Fleming, is another classic account of the 1908 season culled from newspaper stories of the day.

Tabe
09-22-2010, 05:41 PM
It's been mentioned in many threads here, but I really loved "Crazy '08."

http://www.crazy08.com/

Highly entertaining account of the '08 season. Technically not within the T206 time frame, but pretty much the same cast of characters.
I agree. Terrific book on a wild season.

Tabe

yanks4
09-22-2010, 06:11 PM
I recently read Ring's short story called "Horseshoes" , loved it and ordered the book from Amazon ..Very good writing and inside dope...Good Luck

Zach Wheat
09-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I would also like to mention the audio version of Glory of Their Times.....it brings the listening experince to another level hearing the passion as they recite their stories. You can hear the passion they held for baseball. Both audio and printed portions contain parts of the "book" not available in each format. Some of my favorite "interviews" were with Goose Goslin, Hans Dobert and Jimmy Austin. The audio book is one of my favorite deadball books.

slipk1068
09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
I recently read Ring's short story called "Horseshoes" , loved it and ordered the book from Amazon ..Very good writing and inside dope...Good Luck

yanks if ya liked Horseshoes you should next read Alibi Ike.

"The Glory of their Times" is a must read for T206 collectors.

My favorite baseball books are "The Fireside Book of baseball" pick any volume you can find