PDA

View Full Version : 1908 Buffalo Bison PC on the bay

pitchernut
09-19-2010, 08:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1908-Rare-7-Buffalo-Bison-Baseball-Postcards-Set-/270635200546?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3f031d7022

Anyone here going after these? Can't afford all but sure would be interested in the McConnell:rolleyes: After all it's not a complete set:D

albrshbr
09-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Would love to have them, but I'm a low budget collector, these are already out of my price range. I would be interested in any one of the players after the fact however:rolleyes:

Bicem
09-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for pointing those out, I plan on going strong on them now.

Leon
09-19-2010, 10:32 AM

I hadn't seen those either. Very nice cards....

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks. I had seen them.

Now I have competition!

Rob D.
09-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Judging from the bidding in the past two hours, you might not be alone.

Bicem
09-19-2010, 10:42 AM
must just be an odd coincidence.

slidekellyslide
09-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Seems to be a lot of ebay auction outing going on here lately. :confused:

Bicem
09-19-2010, 10:55 AM

yep, I never thought is was a big deal in the past but a lot of people no longer religiously search ebay so it really can make a huge difference.

pitchernut
09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
I let the cat out of the bag oops, well no way no how I can afford even one of these but the only other "card" that I know of for George McConnell is a T200 NY AL, which is REALLY out of my league. So I just thought maybe....

PS I truly did not know one was not supposed to "out" a bay auction here... didn't know it was/is so competitive

Rob D.
09-19-2010, 11:01 AM
yep, I never thought is was a big deal in the past but a lot of people no longer religiously search ebay so it really can make a huge difference.

On the bright side, the chances have improved that the seller will get more for his or her cards, so that's a good thing. It's not a game of hide-and-seek, you know.

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Effing _________!!!!

(Fill in the blank. Yankees, Sox, Democrats, Republicans, Muslims, Catholics, NYC Lawyers, etc.)

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 11:05 AM
On the bright side, the chances have improved that the seller will get more for his or her cards, so that's a good thing.

Depends on what the seller does with his new found riches. If he "foolishly" spends the money, that's good for the country's economy. If he just sits on it, he's not helping.

Rob D.
09-19-2010, 11:13 AM
I let the cat out of the bag oops, well no way no how I can afford even one of these but the only other "card" that I know of for George McConnell is a T200 NY AL, which is REALLY out of my league. So I just thought maybe....

PS I truly did not know one was not supposed to "out" a bay auction here... didn't know it was/is so competitive

Jim,

Honestly, you shouldn't sweat it. There are just as many people on the board who think it's no big deal to post about a current auction as there are people who have a problem with it. There's no "rule" one way or another. Don't worry about it.

Bicem
09-19-2010, 11:41 AM
It's not a game of hide-and-seek, you know.

debatable.

Rob D.
09-19-2010, 11:56 AM
debatable.

Good luck with that debate.

Bicem
09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

edited to add: we won!

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 12:35 PM
thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

edited to add: we won!

Great! Now we have two board members debating with themselves.

Leon
09-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Nah, it's not competitive. Why would a long time board member think that?

calvindog
09-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I might have just placed a monster snipe on this set. After all, isn't this set actually orange and contain Moses Yellowhorse and some Jew named Mort?

TT40391
09-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Based on the rise of this lot throughout the day it is not unreasonable to suggest that his lot might go over 1000.00 dollars before its over. It is already at $650.00:eek:

Yankeefan51
09-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Whilst it is up to the Board member to decide whether or not he/she/we should out an e-Bay auction, we have to disagree about the competitive nature ofbaseball memorabilia collecting.

In building one of the world's premiere baseball type card collections, we have long recognized that this is a game with only two possible outcomes:

Winning or Losing

We work around the clock, 365 days a year, to develop lead sources, uncover opportunities and a bid strategy which enables us to win 66% of the time on key items. Whilst we consider a number of collectors and dealers friends,when we face them on the old cardboard battlefield, they are the enemy. We are prepared to fight them to the end to acquire what we want. We select our targets, analyze the opportunities and plan our attack.

As Vince Lombardi famously noted; Winning is the not most important thing
it is everything.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com

benchod
09-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Bruce
You need a vacation
too much "working" around the clock to vanquish your enemies err I mean fellow hobbyists

Rob D.
09-19-2010, 02:27 PM
it is everything.

Bruce Dorskind

Actually, Sammy Chase said that.

pitchernut
09-19-2010, 03:19 PM
You must understand my reasoning for outing this auction is purely motivated by my desire to further another fellow board member's collection, why we all know that every baseball ephemera collector is generous and always keeping an eye out for one another. Just the other day I witnessed an act of pure generosity on this very board. However if by chance a fellow board member didn't see this auction and now wins it and by a bigger miracle doesn't need the McConnell and wants to show their appreciation by donating said card... well :D:D:D:D

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 04:12 PM
it is everything.

Bruce Dorskind

You should work LONGER hours getting your quotes correct. The correct quote is: "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing." And Lombardi didn't say it first. It was Red Sanders, the former football coach at UCLA. He said it as early as 1950. Lombardi, who may have heard it from Red, didn't use it (or any reasonable facsimile) until 1959 or so.

Didn't you learn how to research at that fancy Ivy League school? :D

Edited to add: Yes. Yes. I know. You will respond to my arrow with a nuclear (or is it "nucular") attack. You will drive my red neck, chicken fried steak eating, big game hunting, ass back into the Stone Age, etc., etc, etc. Blah, blah, blah.

Save it Poindexter.

Kawika
09-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Jim your needling remarks brought attention to our thread. Since it was launched we have picked up 3 high grade type cards for a total expenditure of $4300. Keep up the good work! In life and in war, when one is attacked one has the right, in fact, the obligation to respond. We hate to take up time and space on the board responding to your cynical comments- however, if you want to shoot arrows, we will be happy to return the favor with nuclear missiles. You must be chewing on some weird tobacco down there in Honky Town. We often step on roaches walking the streets of upper Manhattan near Yankee Stadium. They are certainly a higher form of life than you. Perhaps, you could make better use of your time--like flipping burgers or tacos- minimum wage sounds appropriate for your skills and intelligence. Tell us, is English your first language or is it Pig Latin? We wonder if your obsession with masturbation emanates from the fact that you can't satisfy your wife or that she is sick and tired of you. Whilst we are unaware of your social activities, might we suggest a visit to Chicago- attend the Jerry Springer show. It appears that the women participants, albeit a bit smarter than you- would be your perfect match. Do you prefer little girls or little boys? Personally, we'd like to see you cross the border from Mexico into Arizona and see what our hero, Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his team, do to solve the Jim VB problem. In fact, it would be best if we you threw you in the barn with a bunch of smelly old cows horses, and pigs and they could BS all over you. We're sure it is about time to go feed the pigs and the other members of your family. Keep up good work, Mr. BS. Whilst, you, your fellow low-life red necks and other "sorted" followers would not know or appreciate an ultra rare high grade card if you fell on it, we take comfort in knowing that you are probably consuming high grade spam. Perhaps they will issue a special exhibit card when you do the world a favor and end it all. Looking forward to reading about your demise. We read the obituaries. We laugh out loud, when an evil card collecting bastard name appears. Please make us laugh soon. So little boy, while you keep whining..we'll keep adding to America's Toughest Want List.

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Jim your needling remarks brought attention to our thread. Since it was launched we have picked up 3 high grade type cards for a total expenditure of $4300. Keep up the good work! In life and in war, when one is attacked one has the right, in fact, the obligation to respond. We hate to take up time and space on the board responding to your cynical comments- however, if you want to shoot arrows, we will be happy to return the favor with nuclear missiles. You must be chewing on some weird tobacco down there in Honky Town. We often step on roaches walking the streets of upper Manhattan near Yankee Stadium. They are certainly a higher form of life than you. Perhaps, you could make better use of your time--like flipping burgers or tacos- minimum wage sounds appropriate for your skills and intelligence. Tell us, is English your first language or is it Pig Latin? We wonder if your obsession with masturbation emanates from the fact that you can't satisfy your wife or that she is sick and tired of you. Whilst we are unaware of your social activities, might we suggest a visit to Chicago- attend the Jerry Springer show. It appears that the women participants, albeit a bit smarter than you- would be your perfect match. Do you prefer little girls or little boys? Personally, we'd like to see you cross the border from Mexico into Arizona and see what our hero, Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his team, do to solve the Jim VB problem. In fact, it would be best if we you threw you in the barn with a bunch of smelly old cows horses, and pigs and they could BS all over you. We're sure it is about time to go feed the pigs and the other members of your family. Keep up good work, Mr. BS. Whilst, you, your fellow low-life red necks and other "sorted" followers would not know or appreciate an ultra rare high grade card if you fell on it, we take comfort in knowing that you are probably consuming high grade spam. Perhaps they will issue a special exhibit card when you do the world a favor and end it all. Looking forward to reading about your demise. We read the obituaries. We laugh out loud, when an evil card collecting bastard name appears. Please make us laugh soon. So little boy, while you keep whining..we'll keep adding to America's Toughest Want List.

Yup. That about covers it., but could use a few more malapropisms.

Yankeefan51
09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
How long ago did you inhale the nerve gas? Time to take another
dose.

You are a waste of fresh air. We certainly do think of you every time
we step on a roach. We crush it instantly...we'd take more time with you.

FYI- we did not say that Lombardi authored the phrase.

Wonder if you care to match card collections?.You never manage to speak about cards...how come?

Go back into the corner and swallow your tobacco- maybe a few more horses
will kick you while you are doing the pigs.

barrysloate
09-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Gentlemen...time for a deep breath.

Matt
09-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Yup. That about covers it., but could use a few more malapropisms.

Jim - I think that was a re-quote of a previous Group missive. If not, it was incredibly well done.

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Gentlemen...time for a deep breath.

It's all in good fun Barry. Besides, I don't put much stock in anything Bruce says anyway. ;)

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Jim - I think that was a re-quote of a previous Group missive. If not, it was incredibly well done.

Really? I think it was an original Kawika work.

(And those mean things he said REALLY hurt!) :D

Kawika
09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Really? I think it was an original Kawika work.
(And those mean things he said REALLY hurt!) :D

Straight verbatim cut-and-paste from Archive ;). You can't make this stuff up.

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 09:31 PM
How long ago did you inhale the nerve gas? Time to take another
dose.

You are a waste of fresh air. We certainly do think of you every time
we step on a roach. We crush it instantly...we'd take more time with you.

FYI- we did not say that Lombardi authored the phrase.

Wonder if you care to match card collections?.You never manage to speak about cards...how come?

Go back into the corner and swallow your tobacco- maybe a few more horses
will kick you while you are doing the pigs.

None of my neighbors have horses, except for the guy with the indoor equestrian ring. I've never seen a pig in the neighborhood. And no one I know has chewed tobacco since high school baseball (It was cool back then.)

But I think you should stop insulting all the fine people who live in Texas. You might just say the wrong thing and piss off Leon, or Scott, or Jeff. They all seem like nice guys. I don't know why you don't like them.

Which part of my collection did you want to talk about?

G'night Poindexter.

Jim VB
09-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Straight verbatim cut-and-paste from Archive ;). You can't make this stuff up.

OK. Now I feel better (I think.)

Matthew H
09-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Wow Jim! Let's start w/52 Topps and just work our way down :D

steve B
09-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Nice collection Jim!

Just a thought though...They now make some smallish holders that just fit the card. They're much better on space and far cheaper than those view binders.

Oh wait, maybe there's more cards inside the binders?

Nevermind.

Steve B
Who watched far too much SNL back when it was funny.

Kawika
09-21-2010, 05:55 AM
$3016
Would the winner sell me the McConnell?

Jim VB
09-21-2010, 07:44 AM
$3016
Would the winner sell me the McConnell?

Can't help David. I thought it was you who outsniped me.

Bicem
09-21-2010, 08:27 AM
wow, that's a very strong price!

TT40391
09-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Those postcards went for over three thousand dollars:eek:

I think I might faint.;)

TT

autograf
09-21-2010, 02:30 PM
JimVB...........that Mantle that you have crammed at the bottom of that see-through spine looks to be in really good shape. That's a great way to store multi-thousand dollar cards that I think I'll employ! Nice lot of sets out there.......specially those Indians and Presidents.........

celoknob
09-21-2010, 02:58 PM
We work around the clock, 365 days a year, to develop lead sources, uncover opportunities and a bid strategy which enables us to win 66% of the time on key items. Whilst we consider a number of collectors and dealers friends,when we face them on the old cardboard battlefield, they are the enemy. We are prepared to fight them to the end to acquire what we want. We select our targets, analyze the opportunities and plan our attack.

Wow, sounds like the key to happiness to me.

tbob
09-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Those postcards went for over three thousand dollars:eek:

I think I might faint.;)

TT

And yet a single Bison postcard in beautiful condition went for "only" $161 a few days ago on eBay. :D

slidekellyslide
09-21-2010, 07:51 PM
And yet a single Bison postcard in beautiful condition went for "only" $161 a few days ago on eBay. :D

Someone paid a premium to own a bunch without the wait and search.