PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Nite Trivia

tedzan
09-18-2010, 07:28 PM
For almost 57 years, Bob Sheppard announced the ballplayers over the Yankees PA system.
His dignified and reverent voice was one of the most recognizable in the sportsworld.

Bob's first game was on Opening Day at Yankee Stadium, April 17, 1951.

(1) Who was the first ballplayer Bob announced ?

(2) That day he announced 8 future Hall of Famers......can you name them ? ?

TED Z

Jason Carota
09-18-2010, 07:39 PM
1. Vic Raschi (p)

2. Mantle, Williams, Boudreau, Doerr, Rizzuto, DiMaggio, Berra, Mize.

howard38
09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Wouldn't the visiting pitcher have been announced before Raschi? And I think Casey Stengel would be one of the eight hall of famers.

I didn't mention his name because I had to look it up.

nolemmings
09-18-2010, 08:27 PM
9 HOFers, if you count umpire McGowan :)

tedzan
09-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Jason C correctly identified the 8 HOFer's.

Still looking for the very first ballplayer that was announced that day by Bob Sheppard.

TED Z

oldjudge
09-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Dom DiMaggio

nolemmings
09-18-2010, 09:06 PM
So they didn't announce the umpires for the day's game?

I'd guess Raschi too.

tedzan
09-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Jay has the correct answer......

Dom DiMaggio

nolemmings
09-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Ted, please explain why the starting pitcher taking the mound would not be the first player announced, and answer me why the umpires would not have been announced, after which McGowan would have announced "play ball"?

packs
09-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I think he meant the first player announced in a game setting.

Kawika
09-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Long ago when I was a kid in the stands at dearly departed Yankee Stadium I recall that Bob Shepherd would read the line-ups before the game commenced,
then ask us to "please rise for our National Anthem" and then once the game had started would introduce the batter, f'r instance, "leading off for Boston and
playing centerfield, Dom DiMaggio". I do not recollect that he specifically announced the batteries. I add parenthetically that I do not recollect what I had for
lunch today either. I am old. I forget stuff. As the accompanying NYT article indicates there was some fanfare prior to the game, it being Opening Day; the
first pitch was tossed by "former" Yankee Whitey Ford who was in the service. Chances are Shepherd would have announced that. Maybe Ford is the answer
Ted is looking for but my bet is, as Jay offered, that it was DiMaggio, D.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/miscellanybaseball/87001165.pdf

tedzan
09-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Recall my question......

" Who was the first ballplayer Bob announced ? "

Bob Sheppard announced the Red Sox line-up prior to the start of the game. Then, Bob named the Yankees line-up.

Dom DiMaggio was the lead-off batter that day; therefore, his name was announced first.

Vic Raschi was the starting pitcher for the Yankees that day. His name was announced when Bob followed with the
Yankees line-up.

TED Z